Sign in to follow this  
bohemian

Akhnaten in 2019

The ENO production of Akhnaten by Philip Glass is being revived next year, with the same lead singer.

This production was stunning when I saw it.

Details here:  https://www.eno.org/whats-on/akhnaten/

Marvellous - I went to the original ENO production more years ago than I care to admit. :)

-- I hope they make a video recording of it this time!

Even just an audio recording - the CBS/Sony Stuttgart one is just plain too fast.

3 hours ago, JANDL100 said:

Marvellous - I went to the original ENO production more years ago than I care to admit. :)

-- I hope they make a video recording of it this time!

Even just an audio recording - the CBS/Sony Stuttgart one is just plain too fast.

+1

I have heard 3 productions of Akhnaten, which I think is probably Philip Glass's finest work. Easily the best of these, to my mind, was the 1985 ENO one conducted by Paul Daniel. It incorporated the Act III voiceover from the guidebook to Tel Al-Amarna, read by Lord Harewood, then ENO's managing director. At this point the chorus appeared briefly on stage as modern tourists, with the evanescent figures of Akhnaten and Nefertiti singing their ageless song... magic.

I have this, recorded by a friend on cassette from an FM broadcast and subsequently digitised. The original suffered frustratingly from interference (hoover? car engine?) in places, but once digitised it was possible to restore these passages with a surprising degree of success.

I don't know if I'm allowed to say this... but if anybody desperately wants to hear the 1985 production, they need only get in touch.

Clipboard01.jpg

• Like 1

... and those intertwining body builder guys, always on stage, representing the powerful forces of the  hurly-burly of the outside world - at the back to start with, dissociated from the events on stage, then at the end approaching and engulfing Akhnaten.
Amazing!

Edited by JANDL100

The ENO Akhenaten was excellent, but I possibly enjoyed Satyagraha recently even more.  

Prefer our dance, a new Swan Lake at ROH next week and going to see Akram Khan on Tuesday and Saturday.

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2018/may/18/swan-lake-review-royal-ballet

https://www.sadlerswells.com/whats-on/2018/akram-khan-company-xenos/  

Worth trying to get returns for Xenos.