mattykyuss

Nos tube 12ax7

My croft intergrated uses one 12ax7.Been reading up on older tubes.Realy like to try a telefunken.Not tried a mullard.But believe that the telefunken is a little brighter.Prefare that sound in my set up.Now not sure apart from the diamond stamp on a telefunken if i would get a real one or fake.Prices seem to be high on the ebay for one.Would like to know of other sources to try,and maybe if there is another nos make that could be just as good for less spondoolicks ?cheers.mat

Super Wammer

JJ Tesla goldpin are highly recommended on here, by Rabski, to name just one.

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Your eye may have been caught but NOS but try a psvane TII series. You might be surprised in a pleasant way. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fourlegs said:

Your eye may have been caught but NOS but try a psvane TII series. You might be surprised in a pleasant way. 

Totally agree, tried all the various brands but ended up with the Psvane T2. Like the Telefunken but sweeter.

• Like 1

If you can still get them, Groove Tubes Mullard copies are so close that it doesn’t make that much difference.   

In general, NOS does make a difference vs. standard east European and Chinese but there are notable exceptions. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the ideas.Got a tung sol in there right now.Very nice.Better than the gold lion,sounds a little dark in the treble.Tried a sovtek lps.Very good upto a little more of a higher volume,then bit too forward sounding.mat 

Telefunken ladder plates are the brighter type(as opposed to smooth ) expensive , about £100, but they last an eternity, a good one will last years. And there all good. Personally use seimens, but now virtually unobtanium, and stupid expensive. Luckily bought mine 10/15 years back. RCA cleartops esp if cryo treated are superb value and the best of the yanks, very musical. Good cheap alternative to amperex!

• Like 1

On 06/05/2018 at 21:30, Fourlegs said:

Thanks for the heads up on the psvane.Got one now.Mighty good tube right out of the box.Cheers.Mat

Super Wammer
27 minutes ago, mattykyuss said:

Thanks for the heads up on the psvane.Got one now.Mighty good tube right out of the box.Cheers.Mat

Excellent. Why don't more people listen to their uncle Nick!? (AKA uncle Fourlegs).

• Like 1

Well this is great for me.Got a lovely new tube,and a new uncle i did not know i had.Now are you realy rich and love The doors , HA HA .CHEERS .MAT

Jan GE 5751 in my Croft pre. Well recommend if you get itchy again ! Not too pricey either - Langrex if I recall correctly.

• Like 1

This may be worth checking out https://bmamps.com/v01/home/techie-corner/valve-tube-comparison-tests/  if you do some more google searches you will gain a lot more information (that is what I did in determining which EC88 valves to get for my preamp) 

Said it before, and will say it again. The real problem with stuff like Telefunken and Mullard NOS is that unless you buy from one of the few really serious sellers, you have no idea what you're buying. Once the prices started to go stratospheric, all sorts of rubbish started to come onto the market. Some are simply out and out fakes, usually rubbish modern tubes with Telefunken printing applied. Some are 'real', but microphonic (a not uncommon issue) or way out of spec.

I have enough to keep me going and provide a bit of a retirement fund, but as a tube buyer and experimenter for many years, I would not buy frankly mostly any NOS tubes any longer. If they're proper, they're too expensive. If they're cheap, most of the time they're not proper.

The Psvane are good, though reliability and consistency are not proven yet. I'll still stick to my normal recommendation. The JJ Gold Pin tubes. Daft value, and in a back to back test when I had my Puresound L300, there was (with quite a few listeners) effectively no difference between them and mega-bucks NOS Telefunken.

The JAN GE and Phillips are still worth a look. Generally they are top rung and at present, not crazy money, so the fakers aren't interested.

• Like 1

Super Wammer
On 12/06/2018 at 23:38, uzzy said:

This may be worth checking out https://bmamps.com/v01/home/techie-corner/valve-tube-comparison-tests/  if you do some more google searches you will gain a lot more information (that is what I did in determining which EC88 valves to get for my preamp) 

That is fun but useless really. We use valves because we like the sound of valves. I listened to quite a few over the years and I know what I prefer. Anyone trying to decide has ultimately got to do the same listening to all of the candidates or be prepared to say that whatever valve they stumble across by recommendation or whatever is good enough and makes music that is enjoyable enough for you not to have an itch to change anything.

28 minutes ago, rabski said:

The Psvane are good, though reliability and consistency are not proven yet.

Well for me they are proven having used them in amps that I have on 8 hours a day for 5 days a week. My Second Audio monos had a total of 8 x Psvane 2A3 power valves and 8 x Psvane TII 12AU7. When I sold the amps the valves were still happy after 3 years of that.

I also used the Psvane WE845 and TII CV181 under the same daily use conditions for a couple of years in my Icon Audio MB845 Mk2 amps.

• Like 1

Read that the psvane t2 needs 20 hours plus to sound its best,in what way does the sound change from fresh out the box?.Have you tried the jj gold pin against the gold lion gold pin ?.The gold lion realy does well in the croft line integrated.Compared to the psvane from new,the gold lion has a deeper bass,slightly darker trebble,and the highs maybe not as much shimmer,but it is overall pretty damn fine,and once it has 20 hours on it,real smooth and powerfull sound.