Lurch

Lurchs late spring South Coast bake-off Sunday 13th May CHICHESTER

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, saladisfun said:

I now have a pair of original LS3/5a's. These are the original 15ohm circuit board.

Will have to promise to be gentle with them. I will bring some more 24" stands for them, could compare with the other pair LS3/5

Should be free late afternoon

David

That's great news David. 

My amp only puts out 13wpc, so all good on the being gentle front. Not sure about power specs for the amp Lee's bringing. 

Hello John,  as usual I have left it to the last minute,  but unfortunately on this occasion  I am unable  to attend  ( my 40th Ruby  anniversary 😎) , have a good day and enjoy the music,  and maybe  next time I will bring something along. 

Hope you are recovering well from the knee op. 

Paul 

Many thanks John for a fun day. Good sounds, good people and good fish finger sandwich.

I didn't take any photos, but I'm sure some will appear later, and I'll pm those I said I would in a couple of days as I am away until Weds.

Cheers Lee

Super Wammer

Just got in myself Lee, so good to meet you today too. A couple of other new faces  (waves at JezR & David/Salidisfun) amongst the usual (metaphorical) old faces. Chips and fishfingers up to their usual high standard and weather good enough to enable us to sit outside and chinwag away from the music. I didn't get too involved in the LS3/5a clone wars in the playroom, so others may comment more in due course. We had a short adhoc play with Johns CXC transport fed into a Chord Qutest, BorderPatrol DAC SE and John's modded Cambridge DAC Plus, but other than that, it was more of an informal get together with music punctuating the proceedings. Dire Straits and Steely Dan were spotted at two points though, but it wasn't me, honest guv ;) 

Also.... beware Batterhaggis (fresh of the plane from Munich) bearing large box gifts late in the day... However, once it was unpacked and inserted into John's main system, if anybody thinks that CD/SACD is dead and buried, they should have a listen to the TAD D1000. I'm not sure if it was the MKI or MKII, but I'm sure Jamie will comment further.

1628386466_Photo13-05-2018174550.thumb.jpg.c601c1795ccc5b1cc4a1136c99614b73.jpg

I should add though that when you'd get 5p change from £15K RRP, it really should sound good. At that price point, 99.99% most of us would never know either, but thanks to Jamie for bringing it along nonetheless :)  

As ever, thanks to host John... and already looking forward to the next meet in September :) 

I had a really good day and got to put more names to faces, good to meet everyone, got turned onto some music that I shall be buying as well.

Thanks John. 

Super Wammer

Having not seen much in the way of hifi the last few days I thought it might be fun to pay the S/C crew a surprise visit;-)

It was good to see everyone this afternoon and meet Lilolee who after drifting away has managed to float back on to the forum. Sorry if I was a TAD late, but thanks John, it's always fun and games chez Lurch. (That was the MkII version Pete, the MkI joke is only available on the used market).

The DAC/player was here by kind permission of David and Paul (of Hifi Guy in my town, Hastings), with whom I'd been schlepping round a rather hot High End show. I was rather hoping someone might put a small ding on it as it would then have to be mine, but alas not even Lurch's gammy leg managed to oblige. It's the best digital I've heard in my system by some margin, though even it would have its tail between its legs in comparison to the MSB Select DAC I just heard in Munich.

By the way - guilty - the Steely Dan disc was mine. I bought it years ago and have been cursed with buying SACD players ever since. It's a little-known fact that if you put Hey Nineteen on Lurch's main system and Rikki Don't Lose That Number on in the playroom, what you hear in the loo is Telegraph Road.

Super Wammer
6 hours ago, batteredhaggis said:

Sorry if I was a TAD late, but thanks John, it's always fun and games chez Lurch. (That was the MkII version Pete, the MkI joke is only available on the used market). The DAC/player was here by kind permission of David and Paul (of Hifi Guy in my town, Hastings), with whom I'd been schlepping round a rather hot High End show. I was rather hoping someone might put a small ding on it as it would then have to be mine, but alas not even Lurch's gammy leg managed to oblige. It's the best digital I've heard in my system by some margin, though even it would have its tail between its legs in comparison to the MSB Select DAC I just heard in Munich.

Thanks for the confirmation Jamie, it is indeed one hell of a decent disc spinner with imposingly "moulded from an ingot of pure aluminium by the angels" good looks too. BTW, what was the name of the classical LSO piece you span on it first? 

Super Wammer

Glad you all had a good day & I am sorry I missed it, felt strange knowing it was happening & not being able to make it. Still, on the plus side we have emerged from the weekend with a rather lovely SLK 350, which is nice.

Super Wammer

Shame you couldn't make it Brook, but not to steal John's thunder, pencil in 1st September for the next instalment. BTW, looking forward to seeing the SLK350 on your rack 😋

Super Wammer

Thankyou to those who made it to what turned out to be a very interesting but chilled BO. Very different to the usual friendly but quite frenetic BOs that normally occur at Lurch towers, it was more like a social with a bit of music. 

The playroom had a 70s vibe going on, from both a kit and music perspective, Wishbone Ash, Led Zep etc. 

Thankyou to Lilo Lee from delivering the turntable, and it turns out we had probably crossed paths before though we didn't recognise each other. Not surprising really as it would have been 43 years ago, as he used to go to the same senior school as me, all be it he was a year behind me, small world eh. 

As Peter has mentioned already, I look forward to seeing new and old faces once again on Saturday September 1st for the next one. 

Back to the 70s

DSC_0205.JPG

Jamie and the TAD, damn that is one hell of a CDP/SACD/Digital Pre. 

DSC_0206.JPG

Edited by Lurch
  • Like 1

Super Wammer

Another good bake-off, thanks for the invite John. This time round it was as much a social event as a kit event, as there wasn't as much playroom gear as usual. We did a bit more inserting stuff into John's rig than usual, which was very informative.

The playroom had a 70s/early 80s theme with the classic Pioneer PL12D turntable with a Shure M75EJ cartridge, my Technics Q303 fully automatic DD TT with AT44MLb cartridge, a Pioneer amp and LS3/5a speakers. On the speaker front we had a pair of originals and a pair of clones.

playroom.jpg.5d61977c30917e1c17cf34bab7427102.jpg

Clones on the stands, originals on the floor

1591178792_2turntables.jpg.10abc08201665618896af3b95f0a9052.jpg

Our DJ rig, nobody was caught scratching though.

PL12D.jpg.108b0102c05fda04c9de2ebbfb6afc92.jpg

The Pioneer was sounding really good, although it jumped a level when we swapped headshells putting the AT cartridge in there. 

Q303.jpg.c3b1dbd8b1887693a7a4aa50a7d45489.jpg

My Technics Q303 which in all honesty was sounding poor compared to the PL12D. I suspect set-up and the support rack contributed, but it was clear that the PL12D was the superior deck. I'd play with it a bit more if I wasn't about to sell it.

amp.jpg.e8b0a09823e54b5ae758fc9bfee9a03b.jpg

This tiny Pioneer amp did a sterling job all day.

clones.jpg.13257b8095dc78eb601a0152e9e86a15.jpg

One of the clones, not especially 'cloney' given they're quite a bit bigger :D Sounded good though, as did the originals of course.

Half way through the day Jamie (batteredhaggis) unexpectedly arrived lugging the TAD CD player. I seem to have failed when taking a photo of this, but there is one posted above. Now this SACD player provided one of those moments, much like the Vida phono stage has at bake-offs in the past. Truly exceptional SQ, if you happen to be somewhat rich.

Prior to that we were treated to two quite different DACS in John's system. One was the Border Patrol, whilst the other was the Chord Qutest (sp?). Quite different presentations, but I liked both of them very much. 

All in all another excellent day, great to see people I know already and meet the newcomers. Looking forward to the next one.

P.S. I think my background is showing as this comes out like a show report :D. Also I have the nagging feeling I've missed something out, apologies if I have.

Super Wammer

The amp is a circa 1971 Pioneer SA-500A and kicks out a Mahoosive 13wpc, that I picked up from fleabay about a month ago for the princely sum of £35 delivered. It also has twin MM inputs which was a bonus what with having the 2 decks to play with. 

Edited by Lurch

Thanks John for another fascinating day, and it was great to meet old friends. Well that's how it felt, even though this was only my second Lurch event. The double fried chips were as good as ever, even though they were almost cold by the time I arrived. I attempted to enhance the menu with some carrots as befits my moniker, concealed in the carrot cake

I spent most of my time in the playroom, comparing the two LS3/5a's, whilst trying to protect my original from being melted by that massive Pioneer 13watts. I felt the clone had more bass, it had a deeper enclosure,  and the original a more delicate mid and top, but it was a close run thing. It was great to meet Lee, the owner of the second pair LS3/5a. He was a veritable mine of information. Apparently his father was a friend of Maurice Whatton, one of the names on the original BBC paper describing the design. Lee thought my LS3/5a was an example of the Project Symphony, a kit of parts supplied to BBC staff by Chartwell electronics.  This fits with the provenance of my speakers which come from a retired BBC engineer who built three pairs back in the 70's and silll has the other two pairs sitting on window sills. I only manged to secure mine because the veneer is falling off, but otherwise seem fine. My LS3/5a's  did not image as well as in their normal home system / room, where they do that wonderful disappearing act. 

Jamie's SACD solid billet of aluminium reminded me of just how excellent SACD can sound through a good system, such as John's. Very detailed and clean, but still very musical. Wish I had brought my Sony sacd for a quick comparison. Did anyone else share my view that the CD player in the playroom was more user friendly, insofar as possible to programme any series of tracks. I think playroom CD was a vintage Sony, but happy to be corrected. Only joking Jamie

Very much looking forward to the next event

Edited by saladisfun
missing information
  • Like 1

Sorry to have missed the show but I see everyone had some fun.

That TAD player i have heard in jamie's system and it really is special. I thought they were famous only for their compression drivers... - same TAD?

Hope to make it to the next one where I hope to bump into Orbscure, whom i keep missing...

Jack NSM

PS, Thanks to John for storing some 'bits and bobs' of mine for a little while.

Edited by Non-Smoking Man

Super Wammer

Yes Jack, same TAD. It's going to be hard to give it back!

Theirs was the one room I really regretted missing at Munich, I'm told it's usually excellent.