Sign in to follow this  
Non-Smoking Man

Grand National Meeting

19 hours ago, Non-Smoking Man said:

I have the big price about Baie des Isles in the big race and I couldnt get 16/1 so I havent laid it off in the end.

:clout:

52 minutes ago, Trunky said:

:clout:

:rofl:

Posted (edited)

I'm sorry I dont really get emoticons. I can see these arent complimentary (and nor was the last one). But then, Trunky, you are not sticking your neck out like I am. If you contributed i would know what i was dealing with. You could be something or nothing.

Meanwhile, Its time to take stock.

One lesson i learnt was not to trust Cheltenham form at Aintree. Of course, i am not unaware of the difference in tracks (especially the hurdle tracks); and this is an old chestnut. But with the extra week between the meetings i decided to go with the Cheltenham form on several occasions and was let down. I have to think of a new strategy for next year.

I was always a fan of Buveur D'Air. I spotted the horse as a novice and one of my brightest moments was when I predicted - well in advance of the stables announcing it- that it would contest the Champion Hurdle at Cheltenham rather than the Novice Chase (Arkle). I got huge odds from 70 downwards and the rest is history. (I laid off some of it si I ended up with £700 having bet peanuts.

However, my time figures suggest the horse is not what it was. I doubted whether it would win another Champion Hurdle but, in the absence of credible competitors I left the race alone. I might even have laid it so poor were its speed figures leading up to Cheltenham 2018.

With Getabird apparently needing to go righthanded and the Triumph form seldom measuring up to Championship standard every year I think the Supreme Novice Hurdle form is the place to look for the winner of the Champion hurdle next time. I certainly think Buveur D'Air will struggle and may not even run as it looks to need 2.5 miles already. I think that Summerville Boy has the profile, speed figures and form to win it . I am on today @ 16/1 and i will be topping up as we go through the close season. All I needed was the nod from the trainer that SB would stick to hurdles rather than go novice chasing and I got that in an interview I saw on the Racing UK review service.

That's all from me.

Be Lucky!

Jack NSM

Edited by Non-Smoking Man

I actually applaud you for having a go.

My brother runs a highly successful racing syndicate (it's his main business) - but I cannot fathom it out myself. At the end of the day, it's called gambling, just like another of my pastimes is called 'fishing' and not 'catching' :)

25 minutes ago, Trunky said:

I actually applaud you for having a go.

My brother runs a highly successful racing syndicate (it's his main business) - but I cannot fathom it out myself. At the end of the day, it's called gambling, just like another of my pastimes is called 'fishing' and not 'catching' :)

T Rex? You obviously have a sense of humour Trunky...Thankyou for introducing yourself. I was hoping you had some contact with someone in the Racing game, and I see you do. Your brother will have told you this stuff isnt easy and one does one's best'. I once went 29 successive losers and still made a profit on the season. Ups and downs.

Believe me I am on the right track with the Champion Hurdle - it is up for grabs next year. I rate Buveur a 5/1 shot and Summerville Boy about an 8/1 shot (half its current odds. Dont tell the syndicate until I have had another score at the 16/1. ...Chuckle chuckle...

Regards, Jack....

I know some of the horse in the past that they've owned have had some success - and controversy - by breaking the 18 characters rule for a horse name with Pakineo Des Pictons for example. He's such a rebel! He's retired from it all now. Mostly.