Mondie

Who has experience of building their own dedicated music room?

Recommended Posts

The best way to ensure that any noise escaping doesn't annoy the neighbours is to plan for your room to be as far away as possible from any other houses, i.e. an existing detached garage or new out build cabin at the end of the garden and not attached to the house.  I converted a detached concrete prefab garage at the end of my garden in the ultimate audio man cave.  I lined the internal walls with 18mm hardwood ply over 15mm sound proof wall board attached to a 3x2 timber frame with 70mm glass fiber insulation infill.  On the ceiling I used 50mm foam insulation panels with a bonded 6mm ply finish which was easy to fix to the purloins and lightweight.  On the external walls I used treated 2x2 timber in a vertical pattern attached to battens to get a modern cabin style look.   This layered approach gives good sound damping and reasonable heat retention.   The sound proofing together with the fact the garage is at least 50 feet away from any neighbouring houses, means that virtually no bass can be heard which is ideal for late night listening and parties.

I would recommend looking for a property with a long garden with space at the end for an outbuilding. You can then finish that building with internal sound proofing and deadening to improve the sound quality but wouldn't really have to worry about sound escaping due to distance away from neighbours.  Guess it depends how loud you want to listen to your music, and how big your speakers are. I like it LOUD.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
5 hours ago, MelodyMan said:

The best way to ensure that any noise escaping doesn't annoy the neighbours is to plan for your room to be as far away as possible from any other houses, i.e. an existing detached garage or new out build cabin at the end of the garden and not attached to the house.  I converted a detached concrete prefab garage at the end of my garden in the ultimate audio man cave.  I lined the internal walls with 18mm hardwood ply over 15mm sound proof wall board attached to a 3x2 timber frame with 70mm glass fiber insulation infill.  On the ceiling I used 50mm foam insulation panels with a bonded 6mm ply finish which was easy to fix to the purloins and lightweight.  On the external walls I used treated 2x2 timber in a vertical pattern attached to battens to get a modern cabin style look.   This layered approach gives good sound damping and reasonable heat retention.   The sound proofing together with the fact the garage is at least 50 feet away from any neighbouring houses, means that virtually no bass can be heard which is ideal for late night listening and parties.

I would recommend looking for a property with a long garden with space at the end for an outbuilding. You can then finish that building with internal sound proofing and deadening to improve the sound quality but wouldn't really have to worry about sound escaping due to distance away from neighbours.  Guess it depends how loud you want to listen to your music, and how big your speakers are. I like it LOUD.

A note of caution. If one is creating a habitable room then ‘reasonable’ thermal insulation may not be enough. Building regs state that if you are improving the insulation at all then it must be to current standards. Just doing your own thing is fine and dandy until you try to sell and then have to produce the approval certificate.  And with any improved insulation comes the risk of interstitial condensation. An old concrete garage with internal insulation is ripe for condensation that will appear later as mould on the inside and rotten timbers in the lining. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/04/2018 at 12:50, adiebear said:

Not at Rodney's listening levels and not with his bass addiction :D
If your typical listening levels are moderate you may be overthinking this?
I have some treatment (6 panels with Sondor Sondseal- a South African product) and bass certainly escapes from my open sided room, but my neighbours are fairly distant. If I go north of 90db max I close a couple of external windows and doors beyond my listening area.

Rodney's room looks great, I would love to get away with all that glass and if it makes the approval process easier then that's a bonus. As for loud, absolutely yes,  is there any other way :$

19 hours ago, MelodyMan said:

The best way to ensure that any noise escaping doesn't annoy the neighbours is to plan for your room to be as far away as possible from any other houses, i.e. an existing detached garage or new out build cabin at the end of the garden and not attached to the house.  I converted a detached concrete prefab garage at the end of my garden in the ultimate audio man cave.  I lined the internal walls with 18mm hardwood ply over 15mm sound proof wall board attached to a 3x2 timber frame with 70mm glass fiber insulation infill.  On the ceiling I used 50mm foam insulation panels with a bonded 6mm ply finish which was easy to fix to the purloins and lightweight.  On the external walls I used treated 2x2 timber in a vertical pattern attached to battens to get a modern cabin style look.   This layered approach gives good sound damping and reasonable heat retention.   The sound proofing together with the fact the garage is at least 50 feet away from any neighbouring houses, means that virtually no bass can be heard which is ideal for late night listening and parties.

I would recommend looking for a property with a long garden with space at the end for an outbuilding. You can then finish that building with internal sound proofing and deadening to improve the sound quality but wouldn't really have to worry about sound escaping due to distance away from neighbours.  Guess it depends how loud you want to listen to your music, and how big your speakers are. I like it LOUD.

MM, I am thinking along your lines but it seems suitable properties are uncommon, its a game of patience. Fantastic job on your cave, that would work for me. I have found a few houses with massive basements I could convert but my preference is a 'loose' room for reasons I have already explained. Plan B would be something like you have done, great absorption and insulation so it is useable all year round.  Any photos you could share?

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

be nice to convert a big loft to listen in away from neighbours , you would have a nice view then . i can see for quite a few miles from ours and its nice to see the trees when playing music . think i would get a bit bored in a basement 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

I think the installation of a dumbwaiter might be a good move if in the basement or the loft. That way the wife can send you down or up the necessary refreshment a true audiophile  needs when listening  to hifi .:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

indeed, my wife just rings me on the mobile !! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Duvet said:

I think the installation of a dumbwaiter might be a good move if in the basement or the loft. That way the wife can send you down or up the necessary refreshment a true audiophile  needs when listening  to hifi .:D

Good suggestion Danny, I will check with her later on this. She will probably agree xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Duvet said:

I think the installation of a dumbwaiter might be a good move if in the basement or the loft. That way the wife can send you down or up the necessary refreshment a true audiophile  needs when listening  to hifi .:D

Just buy a fridge to keep your beer in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
1 minute ago, Sir_Franc said:

Just buy a fridge to keep your beer in.

Yeah but what effect will that have mains Frank ( tut tut) :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

Built an extension onto the house around a decade ago & added a music room. Heavy duty mains cables from an isolated consumer unit, concrete floor, silver plated mains sockets. a whole shebang of foo goodies.. Sadly the room was so nice it became our main TV lounge and the hifi got relegated to the old lounge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
6 minutes ago, barneys dad said:

Built an extension onto the house around a decade ago & added a music room. Heavy duty mains cables from an isolated consumer unit, concrete floor, silver plated mains sockets. a whole shebang of foo goodies.. Sadly the room was so nice it became our main TV lounge and the hifi got relegated to the old lounge.

The motto of the story . Don't make it too nice or the she who must be obeyed will have it for herself :doh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
1 minute ago, Duvet said:

The motto of the story . Don't make it too nice or the she who must be obeyed will have it for herself :doh:

Worked out OK. The music room is mid 1800s with oak beams that help no end with the acoustics. No slouches when it came to room treatment the Victorians.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Duvet said:

The motto of the story . Don't make it too nice or the she who must be obeyed will have it for herself :doh:

Buy a big lock and keep the key when the room is locked! I am the only key holder... :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, hifinutt said:

indeed, my wife just rings me on the mobile !! 

I can never hear the phone or the front door bell when I playing the HiFi. People have resorted to banging on the windows to get my attention. Perhaps I'm playing too loud? :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.