Sign in to follow this  
smarti

FREE Heybrook HB3 series 2

Hi,

Free to anyone who can collect in Bath.

The midrange drivers are in need of replacement. I did start a refoaming attempt at some point but after removing the foam one of the cones developed a crease which would make it challenging to work on for me at least..

The bass and tweeter drivers are in fine cosmetic condition and the cabinets (black ash) are ok but refurbishable I would think. The sponge grilles have long since decomposed into dust.

I have owned these from new, so they have some sentimental value and I would love to see them go to a good home as they have been my all time favourites..

Any pics?

As far as I understand then yes you can. You have to say so in the thread then pm me. Please let me know if you send a pm as I don’t think tapatalk supports them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HB3,  one of the best sounds I have heard, back in the mid 80s I think.

Well, the refoam kit arrived (it took 2 weeks!), and they work.  I used the Audiofriends kit, and they do some good videos to help.  If you ever do this yourself, make sure you use enough glue!  I had to lift edges and brush more under the foam, especially where they were sticking to the metal frame.

The speakers are now working, up in the loft at the moment, but my back has spasmed (lifting a big flagstone the other day), so I won't be bringing them downstairs just yet.

27888503188_79cfff3569_c.jpg

26889434057_25b30125db_c.jpg

Of course the foam grilles have long rotted, so I intend to make some chamfered frames and stretch grille cloth over them.  I already have everything I need for that, so £22 for the refoam kit and £8 for a pair of TV stands (for the legs; see "cheap speaker stands" in DIY) gives a me a pair of functioning HB3s for £30!  

It will be interesting to hear how they sound against more modern offerings.  I have the Exposure 4 power amp I was also given, a Concordant Excelsior pre-amp clone I made 25 years ago (just need to rebuild the PSU for that), and a Meridian 200 CD transport to go together.  Just need a DAC (Meridian 203/263 anyone? ) and I will have a complete '80s system.

So thanks again, Ian.

• Like 2

Super Wammer
On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 15:13, awkwardbydesign said:

Well, the refoam kit arrived (it took 2 weeks!)

I have just had to put a rubber surround on a KEF B110, got mine from audiofriends in Holland, that took 10 days to arrive. It did the job very well, they are sounding great now.

I'd like to have a listen to those HB3's when they are up and running(or downstairs and running in your case :) )

Super Wammer
On ‎01‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 09:35, awkwardbydesign said:

I'll let you know when they are coming down.

Great, but I am on holiday from 14th -26th so won't be available then. 

Sign in to follow this