Guest chris217

Classical Club #15 - Bach - Small Gifts

Guest chris217

Bach - Small Gifts. Andreas Scholl, Dorothee Oberlinger, Ensemble 1700.

bach_small_gifts.jpg?itok=8fgXGsn6

We have not yet had any Bach yet, so here is a collection of choral and instrumental music.

Spotify link:

The Gramophone Magazine review explains the "Small Gifts" title.

Edited by chris217

We're at no.15 & this is the 1st Bach...
The Brandenburg Concertos are familiar to many & they are wonderful , the rest might not be as well known  - thanks, will listen to this..

Edited by Von Krolock

On 3/25/2018 at 03:41, chris217 said:

Bach - Small Gifts. Andreas Scholl, Dorothee Oberlinger, Ensemble 1700.

bach_small_gifts.jpg?itok=8fgXGsn6

I don't think I have seen the Brandenburgs except in packages of six.  A bit different and it seems to make for a good concert in the listening room.

Super Wammer

Chris that's a lovely album, beautifully played and recorded. I love Scholl's voice. I've heard Dorothee Oberlinger perform at the Wigmore Hall, and she was wonderful.

Good choice for a mixed album.

Andrei - we will speak of Brandenburgs and hot sauce anon (crisis - Diane has run out of Cholula and I shit-you-not there is a supply problem in the UK with it right now)

Super Wammer

I don't normally mention such things... I feel I know a good number of you well enough and I don't want to hide behind a forum name (though a quiet, classical corner of the Wam is a good place for me).

I've struggled with depression most of my teens and all my adult life. In 2005 we lived at the foot of Beachy Head in Eastbourne and I felt bad enough to walk up there in a raging gale in November and try to take my life. I didn't succeed, and I'm glad I didn't (the experience is much overrated). We've since had a son and I love him beyond words, as I do my gorgeous and understanding wife.

This January after a bad few months, to my shame I felt low enough to give it another go.

When I'm down, the one composer that literally stops me in my tracks is Bach. He conjures a sound world like no other. 

I am an avowed atheist yet when I listen to his music I feel the deepest affinity with mankind, as if all our woes, fights with Russians, Trump, and all the petty injustices that go to make up our modern lives were nought. Bach was extremely devout, and his music speaks of a deeply personal connection with his beliefs; his God.

When I listen - and I do often as I need constant reminding - I can completely understand that.

IMG_2744.jpg

Edited by batteredhaggis
can't spell on my 2000th post.....
  • Like 4

Super Wammer

Take for example, track 14, the fifth movement of the Himmelskönig, sei wilkommen cantata (King of Heaven, welcome). As it's a compilation, all eight cannot be here but this one is a doozy.

The cantata was first performed on Palm Sunday in Weimar, 304 years and four days ago. My understanding is that as Jesus entered into Jerusalem, the music should instil a similar entry into the heart of the believer, or in my case observer, who will be given a heavenly joy in return. 

This 7-and-a-half minute work is a minor masterpiece, and extremely beautiful. It is intimately scored, and I can almost feel what it would have been like to have been in the tall-but-narrow Schlosskirche at the first performance. 

The counter-tenor's voice is set against a plaintive recorder. There are almost hints of Pachelbel. To me it is as if listening to inner voices. (I don't mean that in a weird way - we all do!) I think Bach had inner voices - his music is unshakeable on so many levels, but I hear doubt and self-criticism all the time in his works. I believe he was after all one of the first great humanists.

Edited by batteredhaggis

The music of Bach is extraordinary. It may seem a contadiction for his music, informed by his belief in his God, to appeal to we "atheists", but I feel his music works at such a profound level that it appeals to the essence of our sensibilities as human beings.

Gawd, that sounds a bit high falutin', but is the best I can come up with at the moment.

• Like 2