diviy

Interconnect build advice

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

Did you see my post? I trust you accept you made a mistake? If not look at ALL the pictures and read the description.

What mistake?

Dealer
10 hours ago, diviy said:

After a expensive week getting mrs car and camper sorted in the garage I`m skint but need some interconnects after doing a lot of reading I am going for these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Van-Damme-Twin-Audio-Interconnect-Cable-Total-Definition-Directional-HIFI-1-150m/371683487712?epid=1739721347&hash=item568a0fefe0:m:mrF9Bn7rOgMWFzQX7Wl6CWw

From a building poing of view all I need to do is solder the centre the core to middle pin and the outer braid to the outer part of the plug ?
I know there is no fancy drain wire etc but I`m hoping these will do untill I can save some cash for better cable`s can anyone see any pitfulls in the way I am going to build them .

Many thanks
Gerry

Well . . . . . .  there is no doubt that a serviceable interconnect can be made by buying some lengths of shield cable from someone such as van Damme.

However, in the interests of experimenting I have done this with just about all the likely candidates from van Damme and a few other cable manufacturers and they all sounded different and what is more important not as good as my Chord Sarum Super Aray cables. Also, they all had quite different measurement characteristics which sort of backs up why they sound different.

In the end, and after much experimenting and listening trials I have made my own interconnects completely from scratch and these in the end sounded better than the Chord Sarum. Anyone who came to my room (216) at Kegworth will have heard my 2.5m long XLR versions of these cables. I sold the Chord Sarum cables and bought an amplifier with the proceeds (which you will have also heard at Kegworth)..

But that, I have to admit, has been a faff and has taken many many hours.

But back to your question, those cables on ebay are shielded pairs so you could use the centre core wires for the + and - and then connect the shield (one end only, preferably source end) to the  -ve as a ground for the shield. You would of course in this configuration be using a pair of cables for each channel.

Or indeed, you could do what you mention which is to connect the centre core to the centre pin of the RCA plug and the shield to the RCA outer.

The soldering seems fiddly but be patient and work methodically and you will get there.

You will have cheap cables which will be entirely serviceable and indeed you may decide not to search for anything else if you are happy with the sound.

• Like 1

Dealer
4 minutes ago, Andrei said:

What mistake?

Oh, really. Children, stop it or I will bang your heads together!

Oh, and since you ask, your mistake was, "That appears to be a loudspeaker cable.  I would not use that for an interconnect.  It could be made to work but why bother. " It is clearly a shielded interconnect and you had mistaken the bare shield shown in the first photo as a thicker loudspeaker cable.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Andrei said:

What mistake?

It ISN'T speaker cable, FFS.

The 3rd image clearly shows what the construction of the cable is, consider actually reading/observing properly before taking such a high and mighty stance.

OP: Yes, to answer your wiring theory, that is how you need to wire this cable to the plugs.

I bought an interconnect terminated with cheapo Neutrik plugs about 15 years ago which uses that cable - it is fine. Pleasingly, it has survived house moves, Scalford shows etc without ever having to be re-terminated, so, kudos to whoever made it and sold it on ebay. I can't say how it compares to other cables because I'm one of the boring people who has never observed/heard any difference with cables unless they aren't "adequate" and effectively do tone control. I use van damme microhphone cable for all of my interconnects now as it is cheap to buy in long lengths, I just don't connect what would be the ground connection in an XLR cable if I am making a phono - phono cable.

Edited by craigmclellan
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Andrei said:

What mistake?

The one that @Trunky correctly pointed out to you in post 3, and I explained in post 8.

Just now, craigmclellan said:

Ignoring where someone explained to you more than once the mistake you'd made.

Spit it out.

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Andrei said:

Spit it out.

"Trunky, as a matter of politeness it would be better to say why, in your opinion, something is wrong.  Otherwise it comes across as offensive.  Do you get that?

If you look at the pictures on the website you will see there are two cables in shotgun arrangement.  That is typical for loudspeaker wire.  One could separate the two and use them as co-axial, but an interconnect is more often made from a signal wire, return wire and a separate shield."

There you go, mate.

Edited by craigmclellan
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, craigmclellan said:

"Trunky, as a matter of politeness it would be better to say why, in your opinion, something is wrong.  Otherwise it comes across as offensive.  Do you get that?

If you look at the pictures on the website you will see there are two cables in shotgun arrangement.  That is typical for loudspeaker wire.  One could separate the two and use them as co-axial, but an interconnect is more often made from a signal wire, return wire and a separate shield."

There you go, mate.

No content.  Deliberately offensive.  What can I say?  I cannot argue against that.  You have submitted no debatable argument (in the academic sense). We have never crossed swords, as far as I can recall.  If I have swatted you previously I apologise.

Edited by Andrei

Please calm down gents. or this thread will be binned.  Andrei I have deleted your post for language. No need to spell it out!

In my world of cheap and functional cables, that coaxial type is an interconnect.  I have never seen a coaxial screen on a speaker cable.  But in the world of foo, who knows?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Umm, OK.

OP: Interconnect cable you have linked to is perfectly suitable for making interconnects with, it isn't speaker cable.

58 minutes ago, meninblack said:

Please calm down gents. or this thread will be binned.  Andrei I have deleted your post for language. No need to spell it out!

In my world of cheap and functional cables, that coaxial type is an interconnect.  I have never seen a coaxial screen on a speaker cable.  But in the world of foo, who knows?

Ta menin.  Just to put 'language' in perspective:  I only quoted "FFS" in its full form that someone else has submitted. 

• Haha 1

Bin collection day is Thursday around here. 

But exceptions can be made.:D

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1