Thanks to all involved in the organisation and to those who exhibited - I really enjoyed the show.

As everyone has said, Kegworth was much more convenient and having headed home via Melton, I think the weather would have had a more severe impact on attendance had it still been at Scalford. As many above have said, the soundproofing between rooms was much better at Kegworth. 

I might be alone, but as a visitor I did miss the quirkiness of Scalford Hall. Granted, had it been me lugging my gear up two flights of stairs, I might have a different view of "quirkiness".

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Only 1 mile off the M1 which was the main plus point for me. Oh no it wasn't it was not having to bugger about with the park and ride which took a considerable amount of time off the day, especially when you want to get home and have other things planned. The lifts are a bonus not only for the exhibitors but people visitors with mobility problems. I mean what hotels or large public buildings don't have lifts in this day and age? I did like some of the larger rooms at Scalford as the smaller ones can get a bit stuffy when there is a large visitor footfall. However the standard rooms at Kegworth seemed marginally larger but the sound leakage seemed better unless the exhibitors were more restrained. As said though the overall quality of sound did seem to be better so the rooms may have had a significant impact here.

Selecting Kegworth as the new venue was an inspired choice and as it turned out a good move due to the weather. With luck like that I would be buying a lottery ticket.

• Like 3

Super Wammer

Scalford: weird,  wonderful, confusing, lots of memories for old hands, but Nightmare logistics & acoustics. 

Kegworth: It just works!!

Easy access no matter the mode of travel

Onsite access/logistics for exhibitors brilliant

Room size and acoustics ideal + no sound bleed through

Cheerful helpful staff, and superb breakfast choices, bar meals also good. 

Very easy layout for punters (and pissed wammers) 

Roll on next year, I will have room 106 again please 😀

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Fourlegs said:

No, from every point of view it is far better at Kegworth!

Ha! I was going to say that, but, y'know, sentimental reasons and all that. :)

I do think the venue worked very well though, and the organisation could not have been better. It's such a shame, after so much hard work, that we got dumped on by the weather. But I don't think that spoiled the enjoyment of anyone who did make it.

I've been home about two hours, and I've already gone from "I'm never doing that again" to "maybe I could put a different system together next time".

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Super Wammer

All of the above. I enjoyed Scalford, warts and all, and when I knew which hotel we were going to in Kegworth my heart sank... but it was spot on yesterday for all the reasons others have said. And as my first outing as an exhibitor, I couldn’t have asked for more.

• Like 2

Super Wammer

Exhibiting has such highs and lows. The room I was in (210) had a plant room nearby I could hear it humming all night. That probably explains the hum I had from my external phono stage which as a result I didn't use. This was a great shame because the Guy Sargeant Phono stage has a much tighter Bass than the Fisher's internal stage  which made Jon Espley's full range drives sound a bit loose at low frequencies. I got the system reassembled at home , no hum, tight clean Bass. Likewise on the Saturday I had the Internet connection working well from the Hotel's WiFi giving me my own private LAN with full WiFI control via phones. Sunday morning the demand brought the WiFi down.

Not with standing all that I had lots of compliments from visitors so I guess we put up a credible system that visitors enjoyed.

Then the weather. I guess it reduced our visitors by about 60%+ which was a great shame with the fabulous systems exhibited. I just hope Peter has covered his costs, he deserves to having set up such a great show. The venue was a much more practical location than Scalford for all the reasons given above, so I say we should stick with it for next year.

But can you get them to beef up the WiFi.

Thanks everybody for a great show.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, slavedata said:

Likewise on the Saturday I had the Internet connection working well from the Hotel's WiFi giving me my own private LAN with full WiFI control via phones. Sunday morning the demand brought the WiFi down.

I experienced the same last year when exhibiting - even when I wasn't on the hotel wifi and used my own hardware to create a separate network, it didn't work because of the amount of noise as a result of everyone else doing similar things.

Never mind. I ended up just using CDs/Vinyl.

Super Wammer
2 hours ago, GLB said:

the fixed side furniture that we all managed to get around . 

Well, in our room it was fixed on arrival and fixed when we left.

In between times though...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dealer
2 minutes ago, sunbeamgls said:

Well, in our room it was fixed on arrival and fixed when we left.

In between times though...

What happens at Kegworth stays at Kegworth.

Much preferred Kegworth over Scalford for all the reasons given above. I thought the floors were much more stable. I did here that hum from the generator room that Slavedata experienced in 210 - maybe the overnight non-demonstrating guests could be shunted there.

I thought the Saturday wasnt as charged as at Scalford - not everyone had themselves set up, so there were fewer rooms operating for we demonstraters. We decided right from the off we would sacrifice overnight sleeping comfort in favour of setting up for a latenighter, as Bandit Pilot and Maverick did at Scalford. (I slept on the floor, medal please. haha..) So we went till 1 30 a.m., to a smattering of visitors only..

Obviously the Show sufferred an attendance drop due to  the weather, but as Peter emphasised to me as we shook hands in farewell, had we been at Scalford it would have been far worse.

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

From all practical perspectives Kegworth was a better venue.

The loss of the big rooms is a shame - but they're not representative of most homes and the really big rooms were as bad as the far too small bedrooms in terms of getting a decent sound.  If there was a way to free up the dining room (s) and have breakfast in the bar area then that might open up a couple of extra spaces.  The exhibitor bedrooms are much more solidly constructed and this makes a big big difference.

The venue doesn't have the charm, but for the majority of exhibitors and visitors, it looks like a big step forward.

Room 203 again for me next year please :)

4 minutes ago, Non-Smoking Man said:

Much preferred Kegworth over Scalford for all the reasons given above. I thought the floors were much more stable. I did here that hum from the generator room that Slavedata experienced in 210 - maybe the overnight non-demonstrating guests could be shunted there.

I thought the Saturday wasnt as charged as at Scalford - not everyone had themselves set up, so there were fewer rooms operating for we demonstraters. We decided right from the off we would sacrifice overnight sleeping comfort in favour of setting up for a latenighter, as Bandit Pilot and Maverick did at Scalford. (I slept on the floor, medal please. haha..) So we went till 1 30 a.m., to a smattering of visitors only..

Obviously the Show sufferred an attendance drop due to  the weather, but as Peter emphasised to me as we shook hands in farewell, had we been at Scalford it would have been far worse.

We dismantled the beds twice - once to set up and host on Saturday night (we ran until just after 11pm), rebuilt them and dismantled again on Sunday morning.  Then re-built them again on Sunday evening before leaving!

The double mattrass went along one wall of the en-suite, the double bed then split into 2 parts - one on the floor of the en-suite, one in the towel-lined bath, the single bed mattrass folded up into the wardrobe and the single bed frame lay across the front of the wardrobe, nicely keeping the back row of seats a sensible distance from the back "wall" of the room.

Edited by sunbeamgls
  • Like 2

Super Wammer
  1. big thanks to Peter & Danny & team!!
  2. we really enjoyed it but there is no way we could have shown what kit we did bring without the lift and there must have been 10% of the trolleys in the UK in use last night :D 
  3. our room seemed busy all day, sometimes more people than chairs, the visitors who braved the weather were much chattier than in previous years and the requests came thick and fast at times, which is great
  4. soundproofing and acoustics immensely better than Scalford
  5. we had all sources covered, in fact just as well, the CDP got a lot of use but people also brought vinyl
  6. when we needed to jump on to Spotify the network was not an issue for us, we did however have a back up plan of 2x 4G connection available (on Vodafone as EE was a dead spot there)
  7. playing music into the early hours,  drinking, chatting with mates (=talking drunken nonsense) and looking at the snow falling outside and hoping wondering about the rising risk of being snowed in a hotel with ample food & drink & music & mates :D
  8. one small suggestion is that once unloaded people are politely requested to move to the main car park (we did this) so later arrivals could park near the entrance, parking up very near and staying overnight was a tad inconsiderate 

cheers, Paul

PS and thanks to the person who kicked one of our allocated 5 chairs, we will mark them next time :D 

• Like 3

Super Wammer

Hi all,

Managed to get the flight home despite the snow, albeit a little late. 

This was my first WAM show so can’t comment about Scalford but Kegworth I thought was spot on, good staff, good food and prices and very easy to get to from East Midlands airport (about 5 minutes). 

I had a brilliant time - particularly Saturday night - after all, what’s not to like about getting pissed with a bunch of blokes while listening to music on decent systems?

I did not know one person before going but was made to feel very welcome and it was great putting faces to the names on the forum.

My thanks to Peter and Danny for all the hard work - the show just worked for me, I had fun and learnt a lot.

I’ll be back.

Richard

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Big thanks to Peter and all the exhibitors, as ever loads of surprises and expectations blown.

I thought the new venue was much easier to navigate and move around quickly - important with so little time to view all the rooms.

When the weather was good, it was great having the gardens at Scalford, but since this only happened once in five years or so, probably not that relevant.

In all other respects I thought Kegworth better.

Well done Peter et al and hope the Hotel and trade weren't put off by the lack of visitors and that you aren't out of pocket.

29 minutes ago, Richard A said:

Hi all,

Managed to get the flight home despite the snow, albeit a little late. 

This was my first WAM show so can’t comment about Scalford but Kegworth I thought was spot on, good staff, good food and prices and very easy to get to from East Midlands airport (about 5 minutes). 

I had a brilliant time - particularly Saturday night - after all, what’s not to like about getting pissed with a bunch of blokes while listening to music on decent systems?

I did not know one person before going but was made to feel very welcome and it was great putting faces to the names on the forum.

My thanks to Peter and Danny for all the hard work - the show just worked for me, I had fun and learnt a lot.

I’ll be back.

Richard

Nice to meet you Richard we had a great couple of hours in Maverick and Aejoker's room Sautrday night , couldn't leave as my glass kept getting filled up :D. I didn't realise you had come from Guernsey :shock: , well done ,.

• Like 1