Frugel horns were amazing as ever. Wizardry.... Cheers to Stefan for risking over excursions while we played a bit of rock.

5 minutes ago, mothroth said:

Frugel horns were amazing as ever. Wizardry.... Cheers to Stefan for risking over excursions while we played a bit of rock.

No problem, those little Frugal horn lites are my favourite speaker at the moment, they continue to surprise me every time I use them. It makes me chuckle when people are asking where the extra driver is hidden or assuming the other speakers are playing. Thanks really goes to Andy who's room it was. Every time he snuck out for a wander I snuck them on ;)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, orangeart said:

those little Frugal horn lites are my favourite speaker at the moment

Bugger there is always a room you miss isn't there! :roll:

Click my signature for more.

39086130960_e199cae77c_c.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, vintageaxeman said:

Sorry, Craig, which CD player was that, please?

It was the one my CD broke. No idea of the make and model.

I don't get much chance to post on the Wam these days but had a great Sunday (and Saturday evening) at the show. Great to catch up with some old faces and meet a lot of new ones.

I enjoyed so many different rooms and it was good to see that there are so many different ways of putting together a great sounding system. Some fantastic selections of music as well which will lighten my wallet over the next few weeks.

Many thanks to the organisers and the exhibitors in very difficult weather conditions. It was great to chat to so many of you to get a better understanding of how your systems evolved.

14 hours ago, bohemian said:

What a wonderful weekend!  I enjoyed it thoroughly. Met some Wammers I knew from Harrogate show, and some new acquaintences.  Enjoyed babysitting the rooms for Occasional Thinker and HoopsOnToast.

So many really good systems to enjoy.  Daves's (Occ.Think.) room was a delght.  The 80's Revox speakers sounded really good, I could easily have lived with that system.  So many came and listened and made positive comments.

Babysitting for Hoops was a scary affair, as he didn't tell me that someone was coming to his room to take an Audio Research Pre and Power out of their boxes and take them away!  Still all was well.  The system sounded really good and it was great to play my Zappa tracks in several rooms, not just the ones where I was in charge.

Raphael from PFM also played my dsd files of Kind Of Blue and Dire Straits. 

Sorry, Andrew, for subjecting you to 18mins of minimalism with Terry Riley.  You were magnanimous in your comments. Cd sounded great, it was a pity about the wifi dropouts.

And you were very welcome. It was nice to listen to the music which you brought in and even nicer to properly meet you.

43 minutes ago, freefallrob said:

Bugger there is always a room you miss isn't there! :roll:

I know, I really wanted to get into Ian's room to listen to his little corian speakers that Edd made. I've heard them before at my little event but wanted to hear them in a smaller room. Somehow got completely stuck in a comfy sofa chatting to Dave Shevyn. Before I knew it the end of the day had arrived!

Super Wammer
15 hours ago, Bazzer said:

Yes I agree , there didn't seem any noise pollution from other rooms .

Thanks for your pictures Bazzer!

Just now, sunbeamgls said:

Thanks for your pictures Bazzer!

No problem Neil , now if you had had some lights on in your room there might have been some more :D

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, Knipester said:

I had a very enjoyable first attempt at exhibiting and try to fly the flag for omnidirectional speakers. 

Saturday night was great with the opportunity to wonder around with a whiskey in hand checking out others set ups. Sunday’s footfall was constant enough make Sunday most enjoyable and it was great to meet so many nice people.

well done to all those who helped make it a success.

just the painful job of the rebuild left now...

ADF994BC-A20C-482B-84CD-2DE21677C126.jpeg

2F28477C-EB7E-4FAA-AD8F-50A0DD26B887.jpeg

Really enjoyed your room, the Shahinans have a different approach that's very easy to listen to

Just now, Bazzer said:

No problem Neil , now if you had had some lights on in your room there might have been some more :D

But the atmosphere for listening to music is so much more important  :)

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Non-Smoking Man said:

Ive seen a better photo of the show, but not heard a better system at it.

An Amen to that Jack very nice indeed , loved the sound that was being emitted , could have sat there all day . 

• Like 1

I'd like to offer a huge thankyou to all exhibitors for lugging their pride and joy along. Mrs. B and I thoroughly enjoyed our visit and it was great to finally hear some rooms other than my own. That said, I'm determined to get exhibiting again in 2019!

We heard some great sounds but a few rooms deserve an honourable mention:

- ff1d1l - those Ureis were fantastic and thankyou for allowing me to subject some poor innocents to Infected Mushroom!

- The Flash with his room full of Pioneer goodness. Obviously high end 'Japcrap' is never anything less than wonderful but I'd never heard the Prologue speakers before and was very impressed.

- Daniel Ring's room full of Sony loveliness  - and a B&O turntable as well! There should be more B&O at these events - I keep saying this but no-one listens...

- Sony Guy's room full of more Sony goodness. Some lovely equipement and the smell of vintage electronics in here was just sublime!

But the coveted Beobloke "best in show" award has to go to...........................Hondola!

2 Philips CD104s, an impossibly small Aurex preamp and those magnificent Philips MFB speakers were the sound of the show for me. Even Mrs. B was really impressed by them, which I feel sure means I have an automatically approved purchase order to buy some...

• Like 3

Just got back in the door . Large cup of coffee and plonked on the couch and a bit of Floyd Endless River to chill to. 

Thanks to all who exhibited and to those brave souls who visited . I remember in my youth the weatherman were never so accurate and as a child I was often left very disappointed when the forecast of snow turned out to be a load of cobblers. Well fast forward to the 17th of March and boy do they forecast with unerring accuracy these days O.o. I think I realised we were in trouble on Saturday night when Caroline , Peter , George and myself decided to avail ourselves of the local curry house a mere 1/2 a mile up the road. The wind picked up and as we got to the BP garage and I tried to kid myself it was a just an aggressive flurry that would soon die out . Ninety minutes later when leaving the curry house it had not died down in fact it had got stronger . Being stoical I was walking back with Caroline . Peter and George on the other hand thought a taxi would be better . Back in the bar we giggled had a few more beverages and then to bed . On waking Sunday morning my heart sank . Kegworth itself as Valvebloke has said did not look too bad at all but the pm''s and threads I was made aware of told a different picture . The Flash who had popped back home on Saturday could not get back to the show and he was only 20 minutes away. It was really a case of ( infill with any expletive you want .) So down to breakfast and it would be fair to say the vibe was a bit low . All we could do was pray and hope that people would still make the effort . At 9.03 am two guys walked in and said" the weather was bad so thought we would start out early to make sure we get here " There is no denying that the weather cost us but the last paying punter walked in at 3pm was a testament to the pull of the show .I am  sure that we would  easily have had 600 plus but never mind  In my 10 years of wam shows it would be fair to say we have had the full gamut of weather thrown at us apart from snow so that box has been ticked .

I heard calls for moving the show date but  Spring officially starts tomorrow and i think personally its a lot easier for hifi addicts to get their fix of a show at this time of year without annoying their better halves than on a glorious summer day . Hotels charge more as well in the summer. 

Right now to the important stuff .

Acoustically and sound wise this show ticked many boxes . For me to get a listen is pretty hard as I tend to be busy with other aspects of the show . Everyone should be proud of their efforts in this respect. I normally try and over hear comments from the visitors and this year there were so many positives about general level of sound quality . There was plenty of variety and lots of tastes catered for . 

Some rooms were harder to get in to than others . I gave up on Spiders twice before eventually succeeding on the third effort .I could hear why . Tim and Kate's room had a great vibe and party spirit and they looked to be thoroughly enjoying themselves.  The Club speakers had a real presence about them and as for turntables its pick a deck any deck .

Bandit Pilots and Adam K' rooms were a great comparison as they both have Neat 's but different models . Ricks stuff was very ballsy in delivery and you really felt the MF had those drivers and was not going to let go. Adam K system was again very authoritative but the speakers seemed so smooth . Would loved to had stayed and heard more in both these rooms but i was trying to fit a lot in . 

I'm not known for listening to JBL's but i could have stayed in Audioflyers room all day with bottle of red for company . Just seems so right and after a stressful morning it was just what i needed. You could tell just from speaking to him he loved his system and it all had a story . Hope he comes back next year .

Maverick /Aejoker. I said you should blindfold people on entering the room . Nicely though don't scare them and then play the music . Then whip the blindfold off after a minute and watch people faces as the search for a bigger speaker in the room starts . I think the Beonicke;'s are just fantastic and huge WAF by the bucket loads . 

Great to see Harv and Nav and who'd of thought two brothers would have had such different systems but both excellent . 

To be honest can't say i walked into any room and thought ooh no all the systems appeared to be pushing their performance to the max . 

Lurch went to give his system one last hurrah before the end of the show and nearly blew mine and GLB's ears off :shock:

It's funny there seems so much time at the start of the day and whoosh it just goes .

Some notable thanks 

Dave Shevyn from GIK for the Acoustic Panels which raised £150 

Brooky at MCRU for his donations to the raffle . Much appreciated .

Lurch . Thanks for the donations too mate .

Mickyricky for picking up the mantle and organising the curry last night where god knows how many of us descended at the restaurant . ( Think we were on time too )

Caroline , Mibby and Bazzer for pitching in and helping 

The staff who I thought really picked up on the vibe of the show and were excellent .

To the people that came in such terrible weather or the hardcore audiophiles as I will now call them

Finally Peter for putting it all on again for us nutters .:^

Finally two honourable mentions 

Tony J and ed who are still travelling back to the Isle of Mull ( god i hope they make the 4pm ferry )

Greybeard and Ken who are hopefully somewhere near Cornwall by now .

You couldnt have two more exhibitors further apart and they met for the weekend in Kegworth which says volumes about the commitment and fun they get out of showcasing their hobby .