Metatron

Wam don't like Southerners (?)

I would have thought that if enough people in a geographical area wanted something bigger than a bake off, that it would not be beyond them to organise it. It may be possible to hire multi room venues, may be a small hotel, or a 3-4 room community centre on a daily or weekend basis, sharing costs among the attendees.

• Like 1

Although I am missing the show because of the weather, I think Kegworth is an inspired location. I used to live in Leeds/Manchester and increasingly resented the location of most events in London/South East. It is near the centre of England and not far off centre  UK

Time for Parliament, press and media, national stadia and many other things (suggestions welcome )  to all  follow suit.

Wam Show Kegworth leading the way, and I say this from my new home in Chichester, south coast

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Metatron said:

For people travelling a distance and minimizing the summed total distance traveled by all attendees (to yield a lower average distance traveled by each and a minimized CO2 footprint, as well as maximizing attendee count), then we'd be looking for the weighted centroid amongst likely attendees. If doing the math analysis we find the weighted centroid is Midlands, then it's in the right place. If not, then the show should be moved to where the weighted centroid is calculated to be. Before a weighted centroid can be calculated, there needs to be a decision on the 'likely attendees', that is, which 'population' set to use: either the people who would like to go (based on a time limited survey) are used, or, the active Wammers user list is used, or, both are calculated and a midpoint between each weighted centroid is selected. This is what I believe can be shown to be 'fair' mathematically.

Is it me or is the 'wam losing the humour ;-) 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, dudywoxer said:

I would have thought that if enough people in a geographical area wanted something bigger than a bake off, that it would not be beyond them to organise it. It may be possible to hire multi room venues, may be a small hotel, or a 3-4 room community centre on a daily or weekend basis, sharing costs among the attendees.

This is a good idea. I've thought more about business conference centres that have a good series of small offices in a layout similar to a hotel.

Hotels charge a lot due to always being full. Business office buildings in business parks tend to have rooms that are usually empty and want to get the opportunity to lease them out for events, so that's where I'd start. I will look into it, but the venues have a lot to check, such as parking, delivery doors to tolerate many people arriving with kit concurrently being just two. If anybody want's to give me things they think should be considered, please do - or I'll miss something.

8 hours ago, Ian said:

Nah, just sometimes I like getting math-based. I did some research and found the centroid for UK population has previously been calculated to be Appleby Parva. This is not that far from Kegworth, so Kegworth is in the right area if using the UK population data. My preference is that I'd prefer to use the location of active Wam members. However, if Wam users are representative of UK population data, then the centroid won't change. So as said above, I must just be a grumpy old git who doesn't like long car journeys. (There was a time I'd drive anywhere in the UK regardless of distance).

You get more homework for your impertinent attitude sunny Jim! :)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Metatron said:

This is a good idea. I've thought more about business conference centres that have a good series of small offices in a layout similar to a hotel.

Hotels charge a lot due to always being full. Business office buildings in business parks tend to have rooms that are usually empty and want to get the opportunity to lease them out for events, so that's where I'd start. I will look into it, but the venues have a lot to check, such as parking, delivery doors to tolerate many people arriving with kit concurrently being just two. If anybody want's to give me things they think should be considered, please do - or I'll miss something.

Nah, just sometimes I like getting math-based. I did some research and found the centroid for UK population has previously been calculated to be Appleby Parva. This is not that far from Kegworth, so Kegworth is in the right area if using the UK population data. My preference is that I'd prefer to use the location of active Wam members. However, if Wam users are representative of UK population data, then the centroid won't change. So as said above, I must just be a grumpy old git who doesn't like long car journeys. (There was a time I'd drive anywhere in the UK regardless of distance).

You get more homework for your impertinent attitude sunny Jim! :)

Made me smile, good man for taking the humour hit ! My height of maths understanding was of differentiation/integration (calculus ?) at HNC level and this was wiped immediately following the exam ! I will dy by dx as self imposed punishment for my rudeness ;-) 

• Like 1

Super Wammer
There is Kegworth, Scalford and Harrogate shows.
Why 3 shows in Midlands/North?
When is the Wam doing a set down South? (Some other places need a show too)

Inflammatory title? It’s not personal to you or (other) southerners. Things aren’t always planned, they sometimes emerge, and someone else will have to tell you why Scalford became the location of the first Wam show. But it has worked for 10 years.

Harrogate is not a Wam show. Kegworth replaces Scalford. That will be one national show not three then, and it just happens to be in the midlands. FYI/disclosure, under normal road conditions I live only 40mins away from Kegworth but I drove 360 miles round trip specifically to collect my kit for the show. It was worth it.

London may be our capital city but that doesn’t mean everything needs to centre on it.

• Like 2

Northerners are more sociable and very difficult to offend. So you've got to have a good number of Northerners present, and we all hate London. :D

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 18/03/2018 at 07:42, Ian said:

The Wam's humour has been slipping for a while now...

Speaking as a Southerner, I have a car and know how to drive it. Kegworth did not present a problem to me, nor have any of the previous Scalford shows.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

People have travelled from abroad to visit the hifi show.

Book a hotel if you want to come. Fittingly, it's usually hosted in a hotel - result!!

• Upvote 1

Geographically, Kegworth is well in the South of the UK, not that that matters one bit. It seems central enough for a show to me, though Tony_J & Ed H may disagree. Perhaps we should be more precise about what is meant by "South". I suspect it really means South East, or would a move to Truro be OK? Anything further west would be just Scilly. :minikev:     

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Super Wammer
26 minutes ago, General Factotum said:

would a move to Truro be OK?

Yes it would :D

Pasties instead of Pork pies, what's not to like ;-)

• Haha 1

I think the Wam has got this right tbh. It is fair that a location is easy to reach for most people, given the geographical spread of members.

I am sure I speak for most people outside London that there is a bias, in terms of national events, that favours those living in the South East. Changing that is a very positive thing in my opinion

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

At its inception when James took over from the Chester group he could have easily skewed this towards the south east as he lived near Steyning which is practically on the south coast . The fact that he carried on in the MIdlands was fair play to him . The exhibitors at this years show came from far away as well as close by . This is why more wammers should try and attend bake-offs by individuals during the rest of the year. The current show represents  a good spot radius wise . Birmingham itself is only 40 ish miles away . The transport links are good, dare I say excellent as one wammer got to the show in just over two hours from London by train . The work involved by wammers and the team to put on a show once a year is not easily replicated in terms of time and effort and for some losing a days work . Could we multiply this by say three as in shows per year without diluting the strong show that we have got . I would say no. By doing the one show we have cemented its success not weakened it .

Perhaps if I had 150 people wishing to exhibit there may be a case but even with the 50 plus original exhibitors there is always in average a 25 % drop out which is regrettable . I visited Kegworth twice which took up most of my day and individual time from work to make sure it was suitable . To put on a Scottish show and Southern show as well would involve a tremendous amount of work and time away  from my job   with no guarantee of it being a success and covering our costs for the reasons I have quoted above . 

54 minutes ago, Duvet said:

At its inception when James took over from the Chester group he could have easily skewed this towards the south east as he lived near Steyning which is practically on the south coast . The fact that he carried on in the MIdlands was fair play to him . The exhibitors at this years show came from far away as well as close by . This is why more wammers should try and attend bake-offs by individuals during the rest of the year. The current show represents  a good spot radius wise . Birmingham itself is only 40 ish miles away . The transport links are good, dare I say excellent as one wammer got to the show in just over two hours from London by train . The work involved by wammers and the team to put on a show once a year is not easily replicated in terms of time and effort and for some losing a days work . Could we multiply this by say three as in shows per year without diluting the strong show that we have got . I would say no. By doing the one show we have cemented its success not weakened it .

Perhaps if I had 150 people wishing to exhibit there may be a case but even with the 50 plus original exhibitors there is always in average a 25 % drop out which is regrettable . I visited Kegworth twice which took up most of my day and individual time from work to make sure it was suitable . To put on a Scottish show and Southern show as well would involve a tremendous amount of work and time away  from my job   with no guarantee of it being a success and covering our costs for the reasons I have quoted above . 

Speaking as one of the people that travelled the furthest to get to Kegworth, I think you have got it absolutely right. Yes it would be nice to have a Scottish show, but it isn't realistic - attendance would be down and the extra work would be wasted. The Kegworth venue is great, and pretty central - end of problem.

• Upvote 1

On 3/18/2018 at 16:16, Ian said:

I must just be a grumpy old git who doesn't like long car journeys.

You're driving the wrong car then.  Not a Ford is it?!

Edited by britishcomposers
  • Haha 2