Metatron

Wam don't like Southerners (?)

Recommended Posts

There is Kegworth, Scalford and Harrogate shows.

Why 3 shows in Midlands/North?

When is the Wam doing a set down South? (Some other places need a show too)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Salford became kegworth, so 2 shows, Midlands and north (ish). There is a lot of Britain a long way north of Harrogate. Maybe it's the cost of hotels or other suitable venues.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scalford & Kegworth are in the English Midlands & there seems to be a theme going on here - 'Midlands' means the very best arrangement for a large
proportion of people to get together  - mainly England residents.
I live in Scotland like one or two others on here & would like to get there but just can't make it - do you see a parallel thing going on here?9_9

Edited by Von Krolock
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator
4 hours ago, Metatron said:

There is Kegworth, Scalford and Harrogate shows.

Why 3 shows in Midlands/North?

When is the Wam doing a set down South? (Some other places need a show too)

Having spent yesterday trekking the thick end of 400 miles SOUTH with our kit to get to Kegworth, I am heartily glad that it isn't any further down South.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
5 hours ago, Metatron said:

There is Kegworth, Scalford and Harrogate shows.

Why 3 shows in Midlands/North?

When is the Wam doing a set down South? (Some other places need a show too)

Harrogate is a trade show so a totally different proposition . We only do 1 enthusiast show a year because the time involved means that’s the feedback from our members . So where to do the one show . Central England seems fair . I used to live in SE London and drove to Scalford many times 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Von Krolock said:


I live in Scotland like one or two others on here & would like to get there but just can't make it - do you see a parallel thing going on here?9_9

Yes indeed. My original post says other places need a show too. I am thinking Scotland should have one, maybe Wales depending on # of Welsh Wammers.

 I understand the rationale just it would be further to go than is practical for many, especially if lugging kit. I couldn't get mine in my car. I would need to hire a van and stay overnight somewhere. Insuring the kit would be a must, but doesn't seem possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Tony_J said:

Having spent yesterday trekking the thick end of 400 miles SOUTH with our kit to get to Kegworth, I am heartily glad that it isn't any further down South.

That's a lot of motivation. As just posted, I think Scotland should have its own show, mainly because we seem to have many Scottish members, but I don't have the totals to know exactly how many.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Metatron said:

Yes indeed. My original post says other places need a show too. I am thinking Scotland should have one, maybe Wales depending on # of Welsh Wammers.

 I understand the rationale just it would be further to go than is practical for many, especially if lugging kit. I couldn't get mine in my car. I would need to hire a van and stay overnight somewhere. Insuring the kit would be a must, but doesn't seem possible.

Here in Wales we don't have strength in numbers to really hold a full blown show.  But those who are around seem to go to great lengths to make it to the various meet up's such as Kegworth. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am also in favour of other lications but feasibility of any needs thinking through.

A (near) London eventv(without overnight accommodation?) may have potential?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

seems to me there are loads of bake-offs down south , just have a look in the bakeoff thread 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, hifinutt said:

seems to me there are loads of bake-offs down south , just have a look in the bakeoff thread 

Thanks Phil, a bake-off is a limited number of people in 1 persons home, with a subset of their kit. A show is quite different. Part of the idea of Kegworth is to meet many other members, see and hear their entire systems, exhibit your own etc.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, moo-fi said:

But those who are around seem to go to great lengths to make it to the various meet up's such as Kegworth. 

Indeed they do. Do most hire a van and insure their kit? I'd have to in order to be comfortable with the trek.

I have a large saloon car (Audi A6), but I certainly cannot get my floorstander crates into the boot or maneuver them through the side doors. Hired van required.

My other kit takes up plenty of space also and is quite expensive. If I was able to put all my kit in my own car, then I'd probably be able to call my car insurer and pay a small amount to cover all the kit for a couple of days (while it's in the car). As for display/exhibition at Kegworth, I'd have to arrange that on my home insurance.

I cannot afford to replace my kit if an accident were to occur, either because used versions on the market are rare and equivalent condition is not guaranteed, or new equivalent (replacement) models are cost prohibitive. I'd opt to insure "new for old" which would be annoyingly expensive in my case due to the kit value.

Maybe everybody else just chances it, but I'm not comfortable with that. 

As far as location goes, I've heard this argument many times...

10 hours ago, Von Krolock said:

'Midlands' means the very best arrangement for a large proportion of people to get together 

9 hours ago, Duvet said:

Central England seems fair

'Fair' should be provable mathematically. Pointing to the middle of a map is faulty logic because it assumes an equal number of people (possibly) arriving from every direction, with each direction having the same average journey distance - population distribution means it is not that simple.

For people travelling a distance and minimizing the summed total distance traveled by all attendees (to yield a lower average distance traveled by each and a minimized CO2 footprint, as well as maximizing attendee count), then we'd be looking for the weighted centroid amongst likely attendees. If doing the math analysis we find the weighted centroid is Midlands, then it's in the right place. If not, then the show should be moved to where the weighted centroid is calculated to be. Before a weighted centroid can be calculated, there needs to be a decision on the 'likely attendees', that is, which 'population' set to use: either the people who would like to go (based on a time limited survey) are used, or, the active Wammers user list is used, or, both are calculated and a midpoint between each weighted centroid is selected. This is what I believe can be shown to be 'fair' mathematically.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Metatron said:

Indeed they do. Do most hire a van and insure their kit? I'd have to in order to be comfortable with the trek.

I have a large saloon car (Audi A6), but I certainly cannot get my floorstander crates into the boot or maneuver them through the side doors. Hired van required.

That is a question I have often thought about, my stuff is insured to travel as my day job is live sound, so it is part and parcel of my normal work.  But I suspect most car/house insurance polices would have problems with it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Metatron said:

As far as location goes, I've heard this argument many times...

'Fair' should be provable mathematically. Pointing to the middle of a map is faulty logic because it assumes an equal number of people (possibly) arriving from every direction, with each direction having the same average journey distance - population distribution means it is not that simple.

For people travelling a distance and minimizing the summed total distance traveled by all attendees (to yield a lower average distance traveled by each and a minimized CO2 footprint, as well as maximizing attendee count), then we'd be looking for the weighted centroid amongst likely attendees. If doing the math analysis we find the weighted centroid is Midlands, then it's in the right place. If not, then the show should be moved to where the weighted centroid is calculated to be. Before a weighted centroid can be calculated, there needs to be a decision on the 'likely attendees', that is, which 'population' set to use: either the people who would like to go (based on a time limited survey) are used, or, the active Wammers user list is used, or, both are calculated and a midpoint between each weighted centroid is selected. This is what I believe can be shown to be 'fair' mathematically.

Looks like Kegworth isn't much more than a a couple of hours drive for you?

It's rather further for me unfortunately but I couldn't personally argue against the central location logic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

I came up from Swindon area, no issue with distance and lots come from further.  :^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.