Sgt Pepper

Do you still go to gigs or just purchase the music?

Super Wammer
28 minutes ago, Fantasque said:

Try living in rural France, Paris is over 500k from here which is only place any decent bands come apart from the Rolling Stones who are playing Marseille next month which is a mere 580k away. Even when David Gilmore did his Live in Pompeii the neatest cinema showing it was in Bordeaux a 2 hour drive each way....  Still the wine is very good.

not at all jealous, not one little bit :nup:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Maverick said:

Bruce is quite awesome live, JW interviewed Nils Lofgren on his Sunday Show recently and he told the story that they counted up how many different songs they had played on one tour  . . .   ~236 different toons, there are back catalogues and then there are back catalogues eh?

mind you Bruce is slowing down and taking it easy nowadays, his shows are now 3hr 40 mins where as in the 80s 4hr 20 mins was the norm!

That was a brilliant interview with Nils. Specially about getting his stolen guitars back.

Super Wammer
9 minutes ago, barneys dad said:

That was a brilliant interview with Nils. Specially about getting his stolen guitars back.

it was, I'm a big fan of JW

for those who missed  that interview: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0671vqs

I go to gigs to buy CDS. Lots of good emerging bands playing these days, where you meet the band afterwards, buy their CDs and, of course, get them signed. It's also great to support up and coming acts.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Went to see Guns N Roses last year at the London Stadium - big love!  Saw Metallica to last year at Birmingham the Genting Arena, it was okay but wished they had just played their classics - not a fan of the new album.  

Edited by Gel

5 hours ago, Gel said:

Went to see Guns N Roses last year at the London Stadium - big love!  Saw Metallica to last year at Birmingham the Genting Arena, it was okay but wished they had just played their classics - not a fan of the new album.  

Gel not a fan of the new Metallica album I thought it was pretty good myself anyway back on topic I used to go to lots of gigs and the last one I see was blaze which was before I got married ..

Then my little one came along and gigs was a distance memory but I have seen some really good gigs over the years and I miss going to them .

I wanted to go to this years download but never made it hopefully next year  .

I live in Plymouth.  Nobody comes here, so there is no choice.
I beg to differ. When I was in Plymouth 4 years ago there were pictures of the Beatles on the Ho. They had recently played there. Perhaps no one of note has played there since.

Sent from my Sony Digimus Thingy using Crapatalk

• Haha 1

Always prefer to go to a gig over buying the music (that's not to say all gigs live up to the anticipation!)

A lot of the music I like is from smaller bands who make next to nothing from record sales so it's important to go see them live, let them see people are enjoying their music and buy a t-shirt while you're at it.

Just booked a ticket for ArcTangent festival starting Thursday, lots of bands I want to see and quite a few I've not heard of so bound to be something new to discover.

On 14/03/2018 at 18:06, karlinamillion said:

W6, so Shepards Bush & Hammersmith, thats a pretty good place to start from, I always fancied living in Hammersmith.

Theres Bush Hall, very nice place. Bushstock soon which will be across multiple venues, and also The Hanwell Hootie.

There's easy access via the tube to a wealth of places, Hammersmith & City or District to Whitchapel & up to Dalston Junction for Birthdays, Cafe Oto (if you like weird shit) The Victoria (really nice) Vortex, Shackwell Arms and The Total refresment centre (for the super hip).

Old Street for Shoreditch, The Old Blue Last, Village Underground, hoxton kitchen & Bar

Angel/Kings Cross/Islington has The Garage & its small room upstairs, The Lexington (my Fav) waterRats, O2, Union Chapel, Scala, St Pancras old church

Lots in hackney & Bethnall green too.

this is only a small slice.

Join Songkick (free) and just add your fav bands & venues,  before you know it you'll be out and about!

+1 for SongKick which is truly great... I go to live music all the time and find it incredibly helpful. 

I haven't bought any music for ages. I tend to listen to Spotify rather than my own collection. Playlists are the present and the future for me with the occasional album thrown in.

As for gigs its mainly pub/club covers gigs with the occasional exception. Tonight and tomorrow is a local free festival in Rochdale. They usually have a couple of named bands on who are in the twilight of their career but its a decent event nonetheless. This year we have Feeder and Cast and some other local ish bands.

Super Wammer
7 hours ago, Pete the Feet said:

I haven't bought any music for ages. I tend to listen to Spotify rather than my own collection. Playlists are the present and the future for me with the occasional album thrown in.

As for gigs its mainly pub/club covers gigs with the occasional exception. Tonight and tomorrow is a local free festival in Rochdale. They usually have a couple of named bands on who are in the twilight of their career but its a decent event nonetheless. This year we have Feeder and Cast and some other local ish bands.

Pretty much my story too, except Tidal rather than Spotify. Deffo prefer good tribute bands and known bands in the twilight of their career, at a smaller, more intimate venue. Beats paying a King's Ransom to see a popular artist in a massive venue where the sound is often poor and you're half a mile from the stage.

• Upvote 1

Been to loads of Gigs this last two years and I'm increasingly disappointed in the audience. They make or break a night out imo. Too many posers with their phones, not enough bawdy dancing about and getting lairy. The former, kills all the atmosphere, the latter makes a great night the best. Smaller more intimate gigs tend to do the best. Persefone & Deap Vally were great gigs.

However lately I enjoyed a fantastic night out @ Dreamland - Margate, an outdoor gig with Orbital. Excellent sound, lightshow & the Hartnoll brothers rocked the house. Not seen people moving like that in ages. Top gig, that was...

One more booked at the end of August, Electric Six. Hope the audience is up for it...

• Upvote 1