Sgt Pepper

Do you still go to gigs or just purchase the music?

Been to the Albert Hall twice last year and heard Yes and Dave Gilmour. The Yes concert was loud but the amps were played too loud and did not sound good. A pity as they were playing really well. Dave Gilmour's concert had a much better system that allowed the music to go very loud. It sounded brilliant, he played a great mixture of old and new music and having a hall full of people added to the great atmosphere. Sadly it could be his last big tour......hopefully not.....

And having heard Led Zepplin play in a small venue, the Marquee Club (contractual obligation), it was terrible. A small club with a very loud band...the best sound was round the corner in the bar.

Any yes earplugs are becoming mandatory, although playing a CD at 97db at home with my new amp was not ideal...

Thanks for the update above, I will check out that app and have a good nosey around.

In related news, Sigrid tonight at Shepherds Bush Empire were flat out amazing, that's not a gig I'm ever going to forget. Timeless. New album out tonight too I believe.

I go to see a lot of bands, mainly small gigs as the big arena's are too big and expensive. Just been to PlantRock's Winters End, and that was near a perfect size, about 1500 punters. Used to go to the HRH Prog, but that was starting to get too manic. We couldn't even get into the main arena to see the last bands on the last night, so have given up on it now. Next gig is Theory Of A Deadman at the Manchester Academy 2 and then the 10year FDM label anniversary gig in a pub in Glastonbury in May.

And I still buy lots of CD's and vinyl as well

Super Wammer

I go to loads in the last week we have been to two.  We probably go to 30-40 gigs per year and maybe 2 or 3 festivals.  I don't mind the large venues - in my mind they tend to pay more attention to the PA than the smaller ones. 

I also get troubled by a poor view in some of the largest venues - Like the 02 at Greenwich (unless you have standing tickets or expensive premium tickets) there seems little point going to see someone when the stage is so far away.  Wembley is a tad better, but again standing tickets are a must.  The London Stadium, is appalling - and devoid of atmosphere.

It is all the really small ones that seem to over amplify.  IME the little intimate venues like the 100 Club on Oxford Street get it so wrong.

Alexandra Palace for Rag'n'Bone Man last week was a prime example of over amplification, although moving towards the back of the auditorium improved matters.  A few days earlier we were at Brighton Dome, right at the front and the PA was very good.

On ‎14‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 10:19, awkwardbydesign said:

I live in Plymouth.  Nobody comes here, so there is no choice.

I lived in Plymouth. Glyndebourne Touring Opera came every year to the Theatre Royal, utterly stunning.

Went to see Steve Wilson last night at Coventry Arts. Great concert, too loud but bloody good. Yes, the bass was horrendous as it was resonating but the whole show was superb and could not be done easily in a pub with a guitar and amp. The videos made some of the tracks.

• Like 1

I should get out to see more live music but most of my favourite bands have called it a day...:(
Seen & heard some excellent live acts over the years & also some very bad ones. Last event attended was a New Year's Eve thing with too-loud amplified music
and the unwanted days-after tinnitus.
The heckling from some idiots in the audience spoiled the excellent Aussie Pink Floyd show a few years ago.

Edited by Von Krolock