x19

Bargain excellent speakers?

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, moo-fi said:

I may have to have a chat with one of my PA suppliers as in a previous life they were cabinet makers for JBL pro stuff.  The crossover's seem to be the weak link on a lot of JBL's, so no doubt there is room there to improve.

I don't think the bloke at the Bristol show with the JBL 4312 was prepared for Nicky, he was apologising for there size and looks and all Nicky was asking is do they do a bigger model?  Anyway back to my new toy;  https://formulasounddirect.com/dn78-rotary-dj-mixer-p-129.html.

Very nice mixer Fred! I have in the past owned a Urei 1620LE rotary mixer. Rotary mixers are much nicer to play on imo. The high-end examples of the breed, like your Super Stereo DN78, also make for very good pre-amplifiers within a home audio system. I reckon it would match up very nicely with some of the larger, active ATC monitors via a balanced XLR connection; valves and accuracy.

The E & S rotary mixer is a peach also. Someone I know who has experience of pretty much all the main rotary mixers, including the classic Bozak which was the inspiration for the Urei 1620, reckons the Condesa range from Australia are the pick of the bunch: https://condesaelectronics.com/

However, your DN78 is the only one that I'm aware of that has a valve output. It would be great to hear your thoughts on it once it has had a few hours play time under its belt. What power amp and speakers are you planning to use with it?

Edited by marlew

Power amps will be either full fat audio or MC2, which I seem to have a collection of to go with logic system line array speakers (I have both VA and CA set ups with triple 15 and dual 18 subs with dedicated controllers). The rotary was down to a particular client, as we usually use A & H GLD's of one size or another. 

I would agree that the condesaelectronics from Australia is possibly the best of the rotary mixers, which also has the advantage in being fully discrete.  But as usual I have to respond to what the market I serve wants.  I made that mistake with a set of Danley speakers and subs, sounded superb but not scalable or in demand on the rental market.  So I will let you know how it goes, though it is sound pretty good through my Mr Speaker headphones at the moment.

Interesting. I've never heard of Full Fat Audio. I'm aware of MC2 and their excellent reputation. Do either of these manufacturers offer a power amp with a similar specification to the ATC P1, suitable for use in a home setting: http://www.iglooaudio.co.uk/atc-p1.html

Are there any older models from these manufacturers, with decent performance and a similar spec to the P1, you could recommend?

Full fat audio are generally used with Funktion 1 speakers and have massive power output, their top model puts out somewhere in the region of 6kw.  I use them for driving banks of subs at it reduces the box count.

http://www.fullfataudio.com/products/ffa-8000/

As for an amp to match ATC, this is a well respected lump but you could try an MC2 sig 400.  This is their studio range, but its power output is massively bigger than ATC., but they do have fans fitted for cooling.  If you ask they will fit quiet fans for only a couple of quid, which makes a difference when sat close to one.

http://www.mc2-audio.co.uk/products/s-series/

On 3/15/2018 at 00:32, ff1d1l said:

Well, since we're getting our dicks out, I've been playing semi pro on a variety of instruments in a variety of bands since I was 17 - nearly 50 years - and am still  gigging regularly. I've released two CDs which got good reviews and worldwide airplay, and earn the rest of my living in a way which depends on my having a particularly discriminating ear and being able to act upon that information. I had my first hi fi at 17 and have had and heard a wide variety of gear since, including many of the speakers on your list. Having played with more than one or two drummers over the years, I'm well aware of what being in the same room as drum kit sounds like. And I'm well aware how how far short of that reality 99.9% of Hi Fi falls.

If you think that any of the speakers on your list get anywhere near this, we're just going to have to differ.

The only ones with anything like a studio pedigree are the 801s, but they were only used for classical monitoring at Abbey Road. Why? Because the engineers there knew very well that they weren't dynamic enough sounding for rock monitoring, neither were they robust enough to stand up to the sound levels required. If you think  " Art Decos, the IMFs the LNB, the PMC the B&W 801s (also used at Abbey Road when they came out) the Celestion Ditton 66s" are up to this, well, you just go on thinking it. I'm not going to change your mind. Funny how studios didn't/dont use them, though, isn't it? I mean you'd save a few quid on Westlakes using a pair of old IMFs, wouldn't you? You'll be telling me next that Isobarik Professional Monitoring Speakers were the bees knees. Can you name one studio that used them? One?

Mind you, if we're talking numbers, maybe you can give a figure for how many studios used those flakey, coloured old Lockwood Tannoys. How many classic albums were recorded on them? Or those low WAF Ureis, which ousted the JBL's which ousted the Tannoys. Funny how despite there being many, many pairs of Ureis sold to many studios, they come up so rarely? You'd almost think studios were hanging on to them! Sentimental old fools...

Funny that - they must have had something going for them, or the studios would have tooled up with Ditton 66s, wouldn't they?.

Yamaha NS10's? Todays Auratones. You're not seriously telling me anywhere any good relies on them for anything other than checking a mix will work on a mid level stereo?

We are, as audiophiles very fortunate, as studio's moving away from far-field monitoring to near field with actives has seen some of this old gear appearing on the market. Now, they may not be to your taste, Uzzy, but for many discriminating people they hit the spot. I think I know the sort of sound you like, and fair enough, it takes all sorts. I surmise our sonic priorities are different.

Look, answer this if it makes you happy, but this is me done - I won't be engaging further.

Aww you are no fun - you miss the point - to you what you like are fabulous .. to me what I like is fabulous ... I would never ridicule your choices.  It is a bit like this there are a lot of people who think Aston Martin's are the car to own, others think Ferrari and the old boy over the road his Honda Jazz and never the twain shall meet, where they close their minds to alternatives or try to foist theirs on other people.  So when asked for advice I would never provide one choice as when I worked in the trade many years ago .. advise a customer against his will he is of the same opinion still.  So I respect peoples choices even though I might not agree with them because we are not all the same  :) 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1