augustreign

Is this a good match? NAD with Monitor Audio Bronze

hi,

I'm having some trouble working out if this would be a good set up, I'm looking at a Monitor Audio Bronze B4 Floorstanding speakers with a NAD 7140 stereo receiver.

The speakers say they require 150W amplifier, but i' not sure if that's for the whole receiver or if that's what the receiver needs to supply to each channel at the ohms the speakers need. 

Specs of the receiver:

Power output: 40 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)

Frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz

Total harmonic distortion: 0.03%

Input sensitivity: 3.2mV (MM), 160mV (line)

Signal to noise ratio: 76dB (MM), 88dB (line)

Speaker load impedance: 2Ω to 8Ω

Takes 175W from the wall

Specs of the speakers:

System type 2.5-way
Enclosure type Bass-reflex
Frequency response ± 3dB 36 - 22000 Hz
Nominal impedance 6 Ohm
Amplifier Requirements 150 W
Sensitivity (2.83V/1m) 91 dB
Tweeter 25 mm (1 in.)
Midrange 165 mm (6.5 in.)
Woofer 165 mm (6.5 in.)
Dimensions (H x W x D) 850 x 185 x 255 mm / 33.46 x 7.28 x 10.04 in.
Weight 18 kg / 39.6 lbs.

I'm looking to put together a cheap-ish set up and found these after trawling through local adverts.

Any advice would be appreciated 

Super Wammer

Morning Augustreign speaker requirements and power handling are not the same thing I suspect that the MA speakers are capable of handling 150 watt amplifiers and that the mfg would prefer that the speakers were used with an amplifier with a little head room .

However the efficiency of the unit at 91db even if at 6 ohm is really quite high so any amplifier with a sensible out put designed for powering speakers and not test loads should work quite well and produce enough volume to make any listener happy in all but the very largest of rooms.

More important is the charecter of the indvidual units . Is the amplifier on the warm side or does favour the more detailed and sharp approach . Same for the speakers . The idea then is not (unless you really like that sound) to put warm sounding unit together or two really sharp sounding itmes as they will tend to intensify this part of the sound spectrum and in some cases make the final out come not great for long term listening, Some items are neutral and those designed like with if paired will keep the sound neutral of can be warmed up by using a warmi sounding partner.

I think you will understand what I am trying to say . I do not know either of these products or what they sound like so not able to give you direct ideas of how they will sound together perhaps anonther wammer can fill in the details.

• Like 1

I've not heard either to meaningfully comment, but to help the discussion am I right to guess you already own the amp and are considering the speakers to go with them?

Power requirements for a speaker depend on a combination of speaker sensitivity (how loud it is for a given input voltage), your room and how loud you want it to play. If you try to listen too loud for a particular amplifier this will lead to more distortion and may damage the speakers (usually the tweeter). So will the 40W of the NAD amp be enough? Quite possibly but it depends on you and your room.

I find MA Bronze speakers to be fairly bright in character & easy to drive.

The NAD stuff is usually neutral -warm & is fairly old now but if it’s in good condition is should be OK with the MA’s.

Don’t get too hooked up by spec sheets numbers & watts per channel etc.

Whether you LIKE the combination is entirely down to personal preference,  music type, volume levels etc.

Edited by manicatel

Thanks for the replies so far. The room they're going in is quite small, and I don't listen to music that loudly so it sounds like the amp will be fine for the speakers. 

I currently have neither the amp nor speakers, just trying to fit something together which will really fill the room, hopefully these will! Problem is I can't try them together, but I suppose I can always sell one or the other if I don't like them.

8 hours ago, augustreign said:

Thanks for the replies so far. The room they're going in is quite small, and I don't listen to music that loudly so it sounds like the amp will be fine for the speakers. 

I currently have neither the amp nor speakers, just trying to fit something together which will really fill the room, hopefully these will! Problem is I can't try them together, but I suppose I can always sell one or the other if I don't like them.

Just remember if you you turn the wick full on with your amp (I would say higher than 2 o'clock as a rough guide) and run it into distortion you will burn out the tweeter.  If you replace the amp with a behemoth (vast number of watts) amp - the loudspeakers will complain when driven too loud (they will sound "nasty") so you have a warning to back off with the volume.  Hence, personal view is it is always better to have too much than too little when it comes to watts and amplifiers.  There are exceptions, for example valve amps do not distort in the same way as a transistor amp and so do not distress the tweeter as much when overdriven, also they do sound audibly worse to my ears when driven too hard (from sweet sounding to hard sounding) also NAD amps were fitted with a soft clipping facility to reduce the impact when overdriven. 

Do you know someone selling the NAD amp cheaply? I've not heard one but on the face of it this seems a very old model to be considering, noting that components like capacitors do degrade somewhat with age.

On the other hand, paying sensible money (check eBay sold prices) means you can try and sell on for little loss if you don't like it.

had a NADC320BEE used with monitor audio br5 and then BX5 and was always pretty happy with the result. Sounded very good with electronic music or acoustic guitar stuff. WIth more rock sounds though it was a little too laid back for my liking but for that price it was very good. Dont know about the 7140 though. 

18 hours ago, MartinC said:

Do you know someone selling the NAD amp cheaply? I've not heard one but on the face of it this seems a very old model to be considering, noting that components like capacitors do degrade somewhat with age.

On the other hand, paying sensible money (check eBay sold prices) means you can try and sell on for little loss if you don't like it.

I've found someone selling for the equivalent of 80 pounds, I'm in Hong Kong and over here things tend to be a bit more expensive in general. Found the speakers for sale at 120 pounds. 

I'm considering an older model just as a way to hopefully get better value. I've read that if the capacitors are on the way out the amp will take a while to warm up and turn on, any truth to this? This amp happens to have a few very good write ups and is seems relatively cheap

The receiver comes with tone controls which would come in useful if you found, as I have done, that MA bronze speakers are a tad bright.

Super Wammer

With your choice of speakers being pretty efficient and living where you do, I am surprised you haven't investigated many of the excellent value and superb sounding Chinese amps, either SS, Valve or Hybrid designs.

I recently had a 12w Cayin valve amp on loan whilst my power amps were being repaired and it did a pretty fair job of running my 90dB Ushers. It was also happy driving a pair of 87dB Dali Zensor5 to decent levels. Being local you will probably have a cost advantage as shipping costs would be lower. 

Edited by Lurch

I did consider chinese tube amps, but the only ones I came across for sale were about three times the price of the NAD. Also I don’t really know much about tube amps, but I understand the tube needs to be replaced after some amount of time, and I thought there was a good chance I could buy something that I would have to repair. Of course the capacitors on the NAD could also be on the way out...

Maybe i could have found a new SS for the same price, but with most of the reviews in Chinese its hard to know where you stand.

Picked up the amp yesterday, seems in good condition if a bit grubby. Any tips for cleaning the interior?

Will hopefully pick up the speakers after Chinese New Year. 

045913AC-093A-47BD-8FBA-161171620B9B.jpeg

Super Wammer

For cleaning the insides I would say don't use anything more aggressive then a can of compressed air (as used for office equipment) and maybe a small paint brush. It may also be worth giving switches a spray with electrical contact cleaner then operate them several times to work the fluid in. 

• Upvote 2