toms wait

What is the dem item/s you wished you had bought

1 hour ago, uzzy said:

I would put my Hafler up against and SS designs from the 70s :)  (I chose it in comparison to most of em)

Granted.  I should have remembered the Hafler.  Yes, it is up there alright!

• Like 1

Never been in the Mark Levinson ££££ bracket and likely never will, that was a dealer pushing my budget way out of sight.

My limit is tweaking an ancient valve amp to wring performance out of it.

For me it would be a Wadia CD player form the early 2000s. Possibly an 861 from a quick Google but it's far too long ago for me to remember! 

Admin

Boulder and Hansen speaker demo . Listening to Kate Bush " Aerial " with Jammy . We have been known to speak a lot in demo's which is probably a bad sign . We never uttered a word or made a sound apart from our chins hitting the floor . I did an extra lottery ticket that night just on the off chance :upgrade:

For me it must be the Harbeths M40.1. My dad was interested in them and we had a demo at Radlett Audio. My dad was very keen on them and contemplated it for a few weeks, but in the end decided not to pull the trigger to my disappointment. That demo kept me up at night until I ended up buying the exact same demo pair from Radlett audio 12 months later. Been happy since!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Duvet said:

Boulder and Hansen speaker demo . Listening to Kate Bush " Aerial " with Jammy . We have been known to speak a lot in demo's which is probably a bad sign . We never uttered a word or made a sound apart from our chins hitting the floor . I did an extra lottery ticket that night just on the off chance :upgrade:

How did you get on with this album?  I bought the LP when it came out;  ordered it especially from a local record shop that mainly dealt in second-hand copies of the good and great in rock & pop.  Anyway, apart from only liking the content of just side one, and in particular, the first two tracks, it was the dreadful pressing quality of the remaining three sides with audibly mild traces of distortion that I found unacceptable.  Unfortunately the shop was a one-man-band and as a consequence hadn't any 'pull' on getting a replacement as they were selling out up and down the country with this 'first time in ages' new Kate Bush release.  

So, I have a double album with only two tracks on it I actually play, (damned good one's), although it's probably somewhat devalued now with Rolf Harris blowing his didgeridoo on side three.  

1 hour ago, Chivas said:

For me it must be the Harbeths M40.1. My dad was interested in them and we had a demo at Radlett Audio. My dad was very keen on them and contemplated it for a few weeks, but in the end decided not to pull the trigger to my disappointment. That demo kept me up at night until I ended up buying the exact same demo pair from Radlett audio 12 months later. Been happy since!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's an interesting system you have there on the t/table, amp and loudspeakers front.

Super Wammer
19 hours ago, britishcomposers said:

How did you get on with this album?  I bought the LP when it came out;  ordered it especially from a local record shop that mainly dealt in second-hand copies of the good and great in rock & pop.  Anyway, apart from only liking the content of just side one, and in particular, the first two tracks, it was the dreadful pressing quality of the remaining three sides with audibly mild traces of distortion that I found unacceptable.  Unfortunately the shop was a one-man-band and as a consequence hadn't any 'pull' on getting a replacement as they were selling out up and down the country with this 'first time in ages' new Kate Bush release.  

So, I have a double album with only two tracks on it I actually play, (damned good one's), although it's probably somewhat devalued now with Rolf Harris blowing his didgeridoo on side three.  

That's an interesting system you have there on the t/table, amp and loudspeakers front.

He's on The Dreaming too.

3 hours ago, bigfool1956 said:

He's on The Dreaming too.

Wobbleboard?

Super Wammer
20 minutes ago, britishcomposers said:

Wobbleboard?

haha, no didgeridoo again

On 2/13/2018 at 22:36, britishcomposers said:

Like most of our systems it is a perpetual work in progress and has changed considerably over the past 10 years. It is slowly morphing into an all Audio Note system as that seems to be the sound I like. But I also love the Harbeth sound and in my humble opinion they are better allrounders than AN speakers. They do need more oomph than the AN's, hence the Icon monoblocks. I'm a bit of an Origin Live fan, so there it is. An eclectic mix made up of gear that I like that seem to gel pretty well, other than a bit too much gain in the system for my taste.

Super Wammer

I don't think there's anything I've ever heard on dem that was so interesting that I didn't buy it.

But then, I've never really been a habitue of HiFi shops, so only visited when I wanted to buy something specific.

The two that do stand out are firstly a Nakamichi 482Z cassette recorder. I wanted a three-head machine with adjustable bias and EQ, and my local dealer suggested Nakamichi above all others, so listened to the 482Z, which gave a pretty good line-in/tape out comparison, so I bought it.

The second item was the B&W 801 loudspeakers which I first heard at Danish Radio, then subsequently at Radio France, and I bought a pair on here when I had the chance.

I know it's not what the OP asked, but in my case, there's nothing I wish I'd bought.

S. 

I remember an immaculate used Thorens 160BC with a Mayware arm in a local hifi shop many years ago.
Went for a demo & I think the chap in the shop went to the trouble of installing the cartridge I'd brought in for the demo.
It looked superb & sounded better than my Dual.
Told the chap I'd think about it but within a few days it was sold.