Bertiebee

Isolation on the cheap

Super Wammer

I did actually stick my smartphone on my speakers with an accelerometer app before and after placing them on the SubDudes, and there is less movement showing when they are on the platforms rather than on the spikes. This effect would probably be reversed if I had a concrete floor.

Note!  I do not advocate spikes on hi-fi system supports.  THIS is where isolation is needed.  Loudspeakers are in a completely different subset, - though I would like to see a rather more enlightened methodology of loudspeaker-to-floor interface than the somewhat crude spiked approach still widely deployed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, britishcomposers said:

However, what would be of greater scientific and moreover, auditory proving-ground fact, would be with measured response graphs that illustrate the impact of a loudspeaker's airborne response on differing platforms:  spikes, springs, whatever.  Then subjective listening tests with qualified people who understand the system and environment to determine these findings.  

FWIW I have had a quick try using microphone measurements to compare amongst other things Sorbothane and Platfoam, but didn't see any obvious significant differences.

Super Wammer

Certainly the SubDudes are a relatively inexpensive option, they look neat, the speakers are totally stable sat on them, and in my listening room they have stopped the floor singing along to great effect.

I just listened to A Trick of the Tail by Genesis, and Los Endos was the most nimble and most tuneful in the bass that I think I have ever heard from my system with no deleterious effects elsewhere in the spectrum that I can determine. For £104 the pair I'm seriously happy.

I have no idea if the Townsend podiums would be better, but for the £1,400 difference I could get a very nice phono stage :)