Cable Monkey

Classic Album Sundays.

These events have been going around for a few years but in the Summer they started an event in Birmingham. I went last month to the event celebrating Aja by Steely Dan and it was very informative. I certainly learned a lot. They did have some technical issues but it didn't hide the fact the format of the event worked well. It begins with discussion and music related to the influences on the artist and any collaborations they did around the time of the chosen album. It ends with playing the featured album straight through. The whole event lasts two and a half hours and costs a fiver. This month the featured album is a little bit 'fringe' but I have a feeling Alice Coltrane will be a fascinating subject. It would be nice to see a few more people there on the 25th.

Classic Album Sundays

Super Wammer

Similar concept from Linn, if anyone's interested.  Free events, but you have to register.

https://www.linn.co.uk/events#list

They don't play a whole album, but several tracks by the artist that illustrate the story telling.  I found the Chic / Nile Rogers one fascinating, but there's been lots more info about his contribution in the past few years so that's more well publicised now.

Edited by sunbeamgls

OK, this month is Nick Cave, The Boatman's Call. The venue has changed: The Station Pub, 44, Station Street, Sutton Coldfield B73 6AT adjacent to the train station. The start is now 13:30, and you can now pay at the door!

Just an update, this event is no longer relevant as it's patron is taking a break for personal reasons. However the date is still on, and if you turn up on the 20th at the Station pub Sutton Coldfield, my system is guesting for the event! The theme is Hendrix and 1968. Be great to see you there, £3 on the door!

Modified AR The Turntable

2010 PU7

Van den Hul Black Beauty SPX

Phono to be announced

StereoKnight Passive Pre

Ncore NC400 power amp

Tannoy 10 inch monitors.

Im interested in getting involved in this type of thing with my big horn system.

I'm busy converting it to fully balanced operation with the recent acquisition of the a matching, balanced Ayre pre and phono stage combo. (Thanks to Batterredhaggis for the Ayre pre amp.) The analogue electronic crossovers are the same balanced Ashly design Ive used before but new additions (all balanced) are a pair of 300w perchannel Muse Electronics power amps, a Nelson Pass First Watt F5 power amp and a pair of Monarchy Audio SE100 class A power amps I got from the Wam Classifieds. if I get Valavebloke to convert one of my valve amps to balanced operation with the addition of an appropriate transformer, - something discussed at length at his home - then Im nearly there. (There is a fifth balanced amp here, making the numbers right, but it is a pair of Cary 805 monos and transporting them  is no joke - but they would be a real crowdpleaser (uses 845s and 300Bs as driver valves).

In my travels as a record dealer i have met  a big beefy DJ who is keen to join forces with me and help with roadying etc. We are currently looking at venues in the South East.

Jack NSM

Edited by Non-Smoking Man

It is a shame you can't consider coming north Jack. Mine powered the last event and did an OK job. It will be doing the sound duties again on the 17th June, same venue with a theme entitled The Blues. 

Super Wammer
8 hours ago, Non-Smoking Man said:

Im interested in getting involved in this type of thing with my big horn system.

I'm busy converting it to fully balanced operation with the recent acquisition of the a matching, balanced Ayre pre and phono stage combo. (Thanks to Batterredhaggis for the Ayre pre amp.) The analogue electronic crossovers are the same balanced Ashly design Ive used before but new additions (all balanced) are a pair of 300w perchannel Muse Electronics power amps, a Nelson Pass First Watt F5 power amp and a pair of Monarchy Audio SE100 class A power amps I got from the Wam Classifieds. if I get Valavebloke to convert one of my valve amps to balanced operation with the addition of an appropriate transformer, - something discussed at length at his home - then Im nearly there. (There is a fifth balanced amp here, making the numbers right, but it is a pair of Cary 805 monos and transporting them  is no joke - but they would be a real crowdpleaser (uses 845s and 300Bs as driver valves).

In my travels as a record dealer i have met  a big beefy DJ who is keen to join forces with me and help with roadying etc. We are currently looking at venues in the South East.

Jack NSM

Hello Jack

Let me know via PM if you want to host in Brighton. I may be able to come up with a quiet, cheap and easy to get to space. Do you want to do a house to start or a more neutral conventional space?

Pm sent, Henry.

Jack NSM

In the middle of SoundCheck #2! All sounding good, making a decent go at reproducing recordings that date as far back as 1925! Big Bill Broonzy, T-Bone Walker, Jimmy Witherspoon in the first session. Later we will have Buddy Guy, the Stones, John Mayall's Blues Breakers and Albert Collins!

IMG_20180617_144836.jpg

Go for it CM! Brook and I were possibles but we didnt make it as Brook's dad was not well. So sorry we couldnt support you.

I like the silver box of tricks on the left ..

I hope it went well..best wishes..

Jack NSM

It went well, and there was real appreciation of the music. Next month isn't decided yet, it is a busy month for the organisers but hopefully we can get something sorted. Hopefully you can make a future event Jack. And of course anyone else who would like to attend.

Well done Henry. A great personal effort and an interesting system. Be assured of my continued support. This stuff isnt easy and you've done well.

Keep in touch.

Jack