hifinutt

best avr amp for 2 channel sound

I can't  see me moving away from the Hegel in all honesty, I've spent too much money upgrading over the years to get where I am now. And I do think I'd miss the Hegel sound and overall SQ.

I've had some Neat Motive SX2 speakers on demo recently, but even they were too bass heavy, although I didn't have the bungs for the ports and they didn't have the detail the ATC 7's had. Also tried the ATC 11's but too over blown for my room. No particular budget for speakers, guess I could be tempted to spend around £2k for the right pair.

Hi folks...

Nice to see you all here :)

An AVR that does 2 channel  well is serious money these days. I would prefer buying an AVR with the requisite connectivity, and an seperate two channel amp to drive the main speakers for music. 

I run a modest marantz sr6011 feesind a parasound halo integrated driving the qacoustics concept 40's with their sub. And it sounds fab even though the sub is really small.

2 hours ago, philb36 said:

Im considering using my 7011 pre outs into a integrated with anht bypass feature. Anyone got any views on what to look at? Theyll be feeding dali opticon lcr.

What is your budget for the Integrated Amp? 

What brands have you liked in the past and what have you access to?

Super Wammer

It's surprising in this day and age how few amps/pre-amps have this facility. It is getting better though. I use a Musical Fidelity M3i, so MF are worth looking at, as are Marantz. There are others of course.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, bigfool1956 said:

It's surprising in this day and age how few amps/pre-amps have this facility. It is getting better though. I use a Musical Fidelity M3i, so MF are worth looking at, as are Marantz. There are others of course.

FWIW. This is a reasonable list: http://audiophile.no/en/articles-tests-reviews/item/426-amplifiers-with-processor-input

On 30/01/2018 at 12:04, hifinutt said:

heard some nice av amps yesterday , arcam was nice but expensive . this new m,arantz sr7012 and sr 8012 look good , anyone tried them yet for sound ? 

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/marantz-sr8012-av-receiver-sr7012-receiver-specs-performance-price/

I've got the marantz sr7011 if that's any help

It's quite good if not a power house

Arcam are really the only AVR's I've heard that also do 2 channel very well.

When you think about it, with the OP's £1400 budget for an AVR, if you stripped out the cost of all the extra channels & processing etc, you'd be looking at the equivalent of only about a £500max stereo amp.

Of the Japanese brands, I'd say for 2 channel quality, Marantz have the edge over Denon & Yamaha.

• Upvote 1

I had a Marantz SR7010 and used AV by pass on my MDAC.. I also used external power amp . I put this through my ML Summit x electrostatics which are very revealing. 

Second hand SR7010 can be had under £500 although my MDAC has been severely modified the vanilla version can be had for around £350