marlew

Adding a Rega RB330 to a Michell Tecnodec

Super Wammer
2 hours ago, chris metcalfe said:

1) Yes. I used to have a couple in the 1980s, on Ariston and Thorens decks.

2) Briefly, the earth wire is integral to the shielding on one of the cable channels. With the newer Rega arm cables especially, fully separated, the arrangements works fine. Rega's approach has always been to make things as simple as possible for the user.

3)  You'd need to ask Michell - but their arm is based on an old, cheap Rega arm anyway.... at the time it definitely raised the game for these arms, but Rega have moved on.

Thanks. I will ask Michell why they add the separate earth wire. If anyone knows the answer, please feel free to post.

The OEM Rega arms Michell offer, bundled with their turntables, are the RB202 and the RB303; these are both 'recent' Rega tonearm models. From what I understand, the current Michell Tecnoarm is based on the RB202 (the previous Michell Tecnoarm was based on the RB250). They always use the 'base' Rega model.

I agree with your opinion that Rega have moved on and advanced their tonearm offerings. Their tonearms have always been the main strength of their turntable offerings imo. According to Deco audio, the RB303 was a major step up in design and overall performance from the RB300: http://www.decoaudio.com/deco_audio_tonearms1.html

The RB330, as featured on the current Planar 3 and Planar 6, is a step up from the RB303 and has a much nicer/neater finish: http://www.rega.co.uk/rb330-tonearm.html 

I suspect it is a major contributor to the overall performance of these two critically acclaimed, recent Rega turntable offerings. This is why I am interested in the idea of adding a Rega RB330 to a Michell Tecnodec; I suspect it could be a very cost effective and neat looking solution, capable of punching well above its price point.

Edited by marlew

Although, by the time you've totted up turntable, arm, cartridge and the HR power supply, the new Planar 6 with Ania bundle begins to look very cost-effective.

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, chris metcalfe said:

Although, by the time you've totted up turntable, arm, cartridge and the HR power supply, the new Planar 6 with Ania bundle begins to look very cost-effective.

To be honest, I have never been that impressed by the sonic performance of Rega turntables. I did briefly own the predecessor of the Planar 6, the RP6, and I was left disappointed by its performance; it could not compete with well recorded digital through my player/DAC in my system. I do however rate their tonearms from a price/performance ratio point of view. For my tastes, I much prefer the Michell style of presentation which I find to be more sure-footed and consistent. They also have a much better build quality; the motor/belt drive system, along with the overall design and quality of construction is a league above the Rega imo.

On 1/29/2018 at 17:08, chris metcalfe said:

I would imagine (9_9 that most of the people saying 'I've tried so and so's arm and it's far superior...' have not actually compared said arm to the OP's suggested RB330, or even heard the RB330.

I have the previous, lesser model the RB303 which I had to return to Rega due to a floppy phono plug, They returned it with a brand new separated cable with whizzy new , plugs, for free, and the whole thing sounds 50% better. So I would strongly suggest the latest Rega offerings are worth checking out.

As far as the 3-point fixing, obviously much more rigid, only issue being the screw holes in a typical Rega plinth. This wouldn't be an issue on a Tecnodec.

Not had any problems with hum on this arm.

So, as you were.

How is three small bolts more rigid than a big bloody bolt on the base of the arm ... I am convinced it was done to reduce production costs.  I for the life of me cannot see how the thing is more rigid.  The only advantage is it will stop people snapping the stupid plastic armrest/bias controller/lift lower holder that mounds around the arm (where people held on to this whilst trying to torque the nut as tight as it could go).  

I have not compared the 300 to the 303/330 but if three fixing bolts over a single massive bolt is expected to achieve major sonic differences well forgive me but I will never be convinced.  I have compared the 300 to the 250 and I have compared both the the 250 with technoweight and .. to my ears the differences were not enough that when you went home to your bod standard RB250 you were all of a sudden disappointed.   

My view is determine what sound you like and then how to achieve it - I was sold on Deccas many years ago and no way will it work in a Rega so I do not use a Rega anymore.  If I still had the Denon 103D in the system then the Rega would be fine.  So what is your preference?  Moving Magnet or Moving Coil?  The higher the compliance the less a Rega will be compatible.  

The only thing is they say the bearings are consistently better in the 300 series over the 250 and similarly are better again as the numbers go higher .. I am not sure if this is true or whether they all have the same bearings but they check the tolerances a bit better for the dearer arms ...

You just have to go out there and have a listen and have no preconceived ideas .. but if you want to buy an arm that is universal (i.e. works well with just about anything you throw at it) then go treat yourself to a second hand Mission 774 or perhaps even better treat yourself to an audio origami arm .. if you want to run moving coils try and find a Mission 774SM or Zeta in top notch condition ... ..  also give the OL arms a listen as they say you get a 30 day money back warranty if you do not like it.  I have a Rega RB250 with techno weight  (and VTA adjuster) and somehow feel i have to keep it in the spares box (perhaps my son will need it or summat) .. pound for pound the old RB250 modified with a techno weight takes a whole lot of beating 

On ‎02‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 13:02, uzzy said:

How is three small bolts more rigid than a big bloody bolt on the base of the arm ...  

Well, theoretically, for the same reason that standing on one foot is less stable than standing on two plus a stick... or using three bolts on a headshell is better than two etc. I was using the RB300 for some years in the 1980s and it did tend to become slightly loose, enabling it to swing around its axis (in a minor way). The only problem with the 3-screw fixing is in the plinth - removing too often is going to mess up the screw holes.

They're all great arms anyway and better cabling is more important than the fixing.

Edited by chris metcalfe
  • Like 1

Super Wammer

I have had quite a few Rega arms - 250 /300 etc even an Audiomods 5 all of them were very capable, I found a change of cartridge to be more of a noticeable improvement 

I guess thats not what your asking though O.o

:minikev:

21 hours ago, chris metcalfe said:

The only problem with the 3-screw fixing is in the plinth - removing too often is going to mess up the screw holes.

I used to own a P3 2000/RB300 with the  threaded mounting pillar, but am not familiar with more recent Rega arms with the 3- point fixing.  Do all Rega models use self tapping screws to  fix the arm to the plinth?  Would have thought they would use 3 threaded steel bushes glued in the plinth and threaded bolts to suit, at least in their more expensive models.  A poor show indeed if this is not the case, if only for the reason you mention  above.

On 2/4/2018 at 11:21, chris metcalfe said:

Well, theoretically, for the same reason that standing on one foot is less stable than standing on two plus a stick... or using three bolts on a headshell is better than two etc. I was using the RB300 for some years in the 1980s and it did tend to become slightly loose, enabling it to swing around its axis (in a minor way). The only problem with the 3-screw fixing is in the plinth - removing too often is going to mess up the screw holes.

They're all great arms anyway and better cabling is more important than the fixing.

3 small feet and one big foot (which as worked magnificently on taps for donkeys years) ermmmm lolnot a lot of difference lol ... and as I said the only advantage I can see is not snapping the bloody stupid plastic housing for the rest and bias .. Know what you mean about it being able to "spin" if you do not risk breaking the rest to get a decent tight turn.  using the michell VTA and lock nut was fine though as you could get mole grips on the vta top bolt and tighten the bottom to a decent torque.... as for the cabling it depends on the cartridge as well .. but yes fine arms capable of upgrading to higher level (and positvely a bargain) .. as for messing up screw holes the answer is to have a dedicated arm board .. not so easy if you have a bargain basement solid mass jobby like a rega turntable .. 

Edited by uzzy

Well we're still waiting to hear if marlew has bought his Tecnodec after all these months.

Super Wammer
22 hours ago, chris metcalfe said:

Well we're still waiting to hear if marlew has bought his Tecnodec after all these months.

No, not as yet. However, after much research and listening, I feel it will be the best turntable for me. I will probably go with the latest version of the Tecnoarm (based on the RB202 rather than the old version which was based on the old shape RB250). It's likely to be a fair bit better than the RB330 and comes with the Michell VTA adjust and Michell TecnoWeight as standard. It's also available in silver which will visually better compliment the Tecnodec whose feet, arm plate and motor are also in silver. I plan to use it with an Audio Technica AT33PTG/2 MC cart which I know from experience works very well with the phono stage within my my Marantz Reference series PM15-S1. I will use the preamp out of the Marantz (excellent MC phono stage, Wolfson linear volume control, Marantz reference series build/component quality and sonically, slightly on the warm side of neutral which I feel will compliment the ATC power amp and speakers, and also the speed and resolution of the Tecnodec) into an ATC P1 power amp which will drive a pair of the current, curved ATC SCM19's which are rated Stereophile Class A (for me, these speakers have just edged out the ProAc Studio SM100's as first contenders). In the first instance, I will retain my TEAC CD3000 SACD player and DAC (part of the TEAC Distinction series and arguably one of the best disc players/DAC's made by TEAC) on the digital side. After many years of messing about with kit, this will have the makings of an end game, no-nonsense, digital/analogue system for me. I have considered the Gyro SE but I'm slightly put off by its bouncy suspension and slightly blingy (for my tastes) spinning gold weights. The  new Technics models appeal from a convenience, durability and also heritage point of view, but my feeling is the Tecnodec + Tecnoarm will be the sweeter and more analogue sounding combination and at pretty much half the cost of the Technics SL1200G.

Sounds good. Let us know.... :-)

I'm going to the Bristol show next week but it's always frustrating to see the Tecnodec which Michell show off but never play!