Von Krolock

Classical Club #13 - Elgar and Vaughan Williams

This music , from Britain's two most prominent composers, has been lauded since it was recorded in 1966 - and rightly so, it is wonderful.
The highlight, personally, is the Vaughan Williams Tallis Fantasia - which frankly sends shivers up the spine whenever I hear it.

Barbirolli has great empathy & affinity with this music & the playing is sensitive & expressive. The SQ is exemplary.

The CD issue  has two extra Elgar pieces - Elegy & Sospiri which are entirely suited to the other pieces here.

Image result for english string music elgar

• Like 1

• Like 2

13 hours ago, chris217 said:

I must admit that my initial expectation was that the playing style would be dated and the recording of poor quality, simply by dint of its age. However, the playing still sounds fresh and the recording quality is much better than I expected. Thanks for an interesting find - I especially enjoyed the Elgar (a composer I studied for music A level).

As a follow-on the 1964 Barbirolli recording of Elgar's Dear of Gerontius also has a lot to recommend it; most notably, Janet Baker and Richard Lewis.

It may be over 50 years old but the recording quality is excellent - the Vaughan Williams was recorded in a church & the acoustic qualities of the venue
bring depth & space to the music.
This record should be in every classical collection - it doesn't get much better than this.
Glad you enjoyed it.:)

60s music on LP generally seems to have kept well.  I have several and they are just fine.  I suspect that this is because recording equipment has generally been better than playback.  I have an LP (LvanB's 7th) recently recorded with microphones made in the 1940s would you believe!   

Always good to get a performance recommendation for classics that have been recorded so often that there appears to be too much choice.

16 hours ago, Andrei said:

60s music on LP generally seems to have kept well.  I have several and they are just fine.  I suspect that this is because recording equipment has generally been better than playback.  I have an LP (LvanB's 7th) recently recorded with microphones made in the 1940s would you believe!   

Always good to get a performance recommendation for classics that have been recorded so often that there appears to be too much choice.

That's an interesting point about the recording equipment - and also possibly the care taken over the recording process.
60's recordings certainly bring no guarantee of good sound but there are many excellent recordings from this time - and some poor ones!

There is too much choice with many works - buying a good version is sometimes a matter of chance.

Just ordered this on CD from Amazon, ( under £4 inc p&p s'h)  Thanks for the prompt. Although we have the music elsewhere, looking forward to this.

26 minutes ago, Colinjg said:

Just ordered this on CD from Amazon, ( under £4 inc p&p s'h)  Thanks for the prompt. Although we have the music elsewhere, looking forward to this.

A snip at under 4 notes Colin - I hope you enjoy it.:^

You may remember a dearly departed HFWW member John "themadlatvian".

He came over for an impromptu listen several years ago. Knowing his love of classical, I got out this album on Nimbus Supercut and we listened to the Tallis. Played through valve amps and Quad 989s (or maybe it was my later 2905s) electrostatics, to my ears its as good as any music can ever ever get. There are moments in there when the music literally/truly takes the breath away.

The record ended and we both found it hard to speak & to know what to say. What can you say when you have just listened to Vaughan Williams, conducted by a master, played live, in a church and recorded....properly?

Image result for nimbus barbirolli elgar vaughan williams

2 hours ago, barneys dad said:

You may remember a dearly departed HFWW member John "themadlatvian".

He came over for an impromptu listen several years ago. Knowing his love of classical, I got out this album on Nimbus Supercut and we listened to the Tallis. Played through valve amps and Quad 989s (or maybe it was my later 2905s) electrostatics, to my ears its as good as any music can ever ever get. There are moments in there when the music literally/truly takes the breath away.

The record ended and we both found it hard to speak & to know what to say. What can you say when you have just listened to Vaughan Williams, conducted by a master, played live, in a church and recorded....properly?

Image result for nimbus barbirolli elgar vaughan williams

Great description of the Tallis Steve & memory of John  "themadlatvian".
I never met John but remember his great contributions to HFWW. I bought a lot of his LPs all of which were top quality.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Von Krolock said:

Great description of the Tallis Steve & memory of John  "themadlatvian".
I never met John but remember his great contributions to HFWW. I bought a lot of his LPs all of which were top quality.

John, Themadlatvian, was a great asset. I hope I'm remembered as fondly.  

S.

• Like 2

wrong thread!

Edited by bohemian

Having just crossed over to this forum from the two-channel arena and read this thread;  aware that I have this particular LP in what is a huge archive of several different interpretations of the RVW Tallis Fantasia, - both on CD, several LP's and two 12" 78's, I have just played this recording (a mono copy) and it has undoubtedly the finest string-section I've heard from an English ensemble.  The performance carried me away to another place and time and most certainly was moving;  especially as it laid to rest in the final bars.  Previously, it was the Bryden Thomson Chandos recording that did it for me from the 80's, but this is possessed of something beyond mere ethereal sounds with the solidity and architectural embodiment of what speaks from the heart in it's Englishness.

Edited by britishcomposers
  • Like 1

It is certainly very moving & emotional music that transports the listener.
The recording time & venue are entirely appropriate - in the early hours of the morning in an ancient stone church with a very simple microphone setup.

I just got hold of a cd (£2.99 from Music Magpie) of this recording. When I get my pre back I will listen to it with great interest.  Thanks for the recommendation.