MPJ88

Proac D20R or Goldenear Triton 5

29 minutes ago, MartinC said:

For info. this it the eBay seller I bought my Sorbothane hemispheres from (hassle free):

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/soundupgrade?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Can I use cut in half squash balls...! 

Thanks for all suggestions I'll research later. The sorbothane might be something to try too. I assume you use these instead of spikes, so it will stop me poking holes in the carpet everytime I move the speakers! 

9 minutes ago, MPJ88 said:

Can I use cut in half squash balls...! 

Not I suspect for the same effect - Sorbothane isn't just like any other rubbery stuff.

Yes instead of spikes but you'll probably need something hard and flat for them to sit on rather than straight onto the carpet.

I don't expect Sorbothane to solve your problem though as I suspect it's a more significant room mode issue.

On 02/02/2018 at 10:02, TheFlash said:

My bungs are made of this, I think, though you may be able to get something bung-shaped... Acoustic Speaker Front Grill Foam 320mm x 220mm x 10mm https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F172205317101

Bought some of this and just tried. It definitely reduced the "boomy"ness but it takes too much out of the rest if the sound. It's like they're muffled! Still playing. Seems slightly better with just one piece not so tightly packed in. 

Super Wammer
17 minutes ago, MPJ88 said:

Bought some of this and just tried. It definitely reduced the "boomy"ness but it takes too much out of the rest if the sound. It's like they're muffled! Still playing. Seems slightly better with just one piece not so tightly packed in. 

Thanks for the update, even if it's not all that encouraging!

The foam in mine make hardly any difference at all, just takes the bass down a notch but everything else sounds spot on, and definitely not muffled by any stretch. I was broadly happy with (nay, ecstatic about) my sound but had the boom thing on particularly bass-rich tracks; I have lost my occasonal bass boom but all else is as was.

Back to basics: I'm surprised you have tried this ahead of more fundamental changes (though I may have missed interim reports). The biggest factor in any boom will be positioning and the next biggest will be isolation/coupling:

• you really need to get your speakers in the right position first (if this isn't possible, and for all sorts of reasons including domestic harmony it might not be, then tell us and we can cross it off our list);
  • then look at isolation, particularly trying alternatives to spikes which are coupling your speakers to the floor and therefore the house.

Until you've done your very best on these two fronts, I really wouldn't bother messing around with foam as it appears you have more signiicant issues at play here. Just my twopenneth.

It might be informative to get an idea what frequency the 'boom' is at. I've not tried these myself but there are frequency sweep videos on youtube that could be used to do this but start with the volume LOW so you don't inadvertently play too loud and damage your speakers. If the boom is the lowest frequency room mode you may well find that changes in speaker placement make little difference (although still try). This is my own experience with an ~37 Hz response peak shown in the thread below. Using the Room Simulator in Room EQ Wizard is another way to get a feel for the effect of speaker placement.

Super Wammer

How are you getting on? What have you tried? What made any difference and did you like the difference? Or did you already sell the speakers without telling us?

Questions, questions, questions...

Super Wammer

On second thoughts...

Back to Basics II: what source are you using?

My preferred sources in order of hours consumed are (for a combination of reasons including convenience, not just sound quality where decent vinyl may well be top):

• CD
  • ALAC lossless on NAS
  • Tuner
  • Spotify 320kbps
  • Vinyl

Spotify is great for exploration but it takes only seconds in a back-to-back comparison to hear the difference between that and original/lossless. Bass is where my ears hear the difference more readily, and it is noticeably looser, thumpier, boomier, one-dimensional... and other adjectives. So if you're not listening to original or lossless source material then that could well be part of the problem. "So why didn't I notice it with my previous speakers?" Well they weren't as revealing of the strengths and weaknesses of the source material to which they were being Highly Fidelious.

If your source is original/lossless, ignore this. But do tell us.

Edited by TheFlash

Super Wammer

Hi Matt,

How are you getting on? Any joy?

Will we see you at Kegworth on Sunday? I wom't have my ProAc D30R's on display but do pop into room 207 to say hi if you're coming.

Nigel

Super Wammer

ah , what you using in place of the d30 nigel ? 

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

Wam Show 2018 Room 207 poster v1.pdf

18 hours ago, hifinutt said:

ah , what you using in place of the d30 nigel ? 

5aa8002fcd764_WamShow2018Room207posterv1.thumb.png.d42c7f8f58fb4472f961cf8b58b85b89.png

Edited by TheFlash
  • Like 1

Super Wammer

very nice ! thanks 

On 1/16/2018 at 16:31, MPJ88 said:

Hi all,

I know this is a difficult question but I've been considering upgrading my current speakers after exhausting them with different amps and DAC configurations I now believe they are the bottle neck in my system.

I've been looking at Proac's and (after a local audio shop suggested it to me) Goldenear's. Particular speakers are D20R and Triton 5

Current amp is an Abrahamsen V2.0 up - http://www.iqspeakers.co.uk/abrahamsen-v20up-intergrated-amplifier

Any thoughts? Seems like a lot of speaker for the money with the Goldenear's. Excuse the shoddy pic, but room setup below too.

20180116_163347.jpg

The answer is simple .. you buy the loudspeakers that sound best to you (regardless what anyone else says).  One man's meat is another man's poison.  We all have our own ideas what sounds right to us not on what other people think :) .   

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer

oh so true . 

Super Wammer
On 12/03/2018 at 22:11, TheFlash said:

Hi Matt,

How are you getting on? Any joy?

Bump