awkwardbydesign

When do cables start/stop making a difference?

Super Wammer

a) Check manufacturers of your boxes etc SAFE recommendations ...

b) Buy-install-maintain safely (economically) = ENJOY for ever.

Bugger iffy wifi-BTooth etc - I love my judiciously-purchased/installed/maintained wiring.

Edited by Chumpy

17 minutes ago, Chumpy said:

a) Check manufacturers of your boxes etc SAFE recommendations ...

b) Buy-install-maintain safely (economically) = ENJOY for ever.

Bugger iffy wifi-BTooth etc - I love my judiciously-purchased/installed/maintained wiring.

The mind boggles.  That is AFTER editing! :D

BTW Charlie, I manufacture many of my boxes, so I have checked with myself. :P

3 hours ago, dave said:

I don't like using emotive words like shocked, but I have been, at least 3 times at the difference it made.  I must qualify this is swapping out fat multi-stranded (monster , yay 90's) type cable for low inductance "litz type" cables i.e. goertz copper ribbon, cat 5 or multi pair telephone cable on a SE tube system regardless of cost, i regularly use 20 pair, cost me nothing but takes a long time to terminate. From my subjective view these are two extreme types, another would be very thin bell wire...... haven't tried that on a good stereo.  I would imagine your amp would be ok, I haven't done any cable swapping for a long time, cause i don't feel the need.

In the early '80s some dealers started trying thin phone wire as speaker cables (with Albarry amps, in one Stockport shop), and liked what they heard.  That's when I started trying different cables.  But be careful with Litz speaker wires, as the very high capacitance can send some amps into oscillation, even valve amps!  The braided Cat5 type (from TNT) also did that.

I have tried (and made) endless types, but now have Studio Connections throughout, from power to speakers.  It's fine stranded silver and copper mixed, unscreened. 

My real interest here is in the people who decided to change their opinion after many years.  Had their kit reached a level that influenced that change?

Edited by awkwardbydesign

Super Wammer
9 hours ago, awkwardbydesign said:

The mind boggles.  That is AFTER editing! :D

BTW Charlie, I manufacture many of my boxes, so I have checked with myself. :P

It was probably edited because the first version made sense and a man has an image to maintain! :/

Super Wammer
10 hours ago, TheFlash said:

It was probably edited because the first version made sense and a man has an image to maintain! :/

Seriously, have you EVER seen any part of a Chumpy post that made sense to anyone apart from him?

(I made a big leap there in assuming his posts make sense to him. Maybe he is as baffled by them as everyone else.)

Super Wammer
Seriously, have you EVER seen any part of a Chumpy post that made sense to anyone apart from him?
(I made a big leap there in assuming his posts make sense to him. Maybe he is as baffled by them as everyone else.)

We prefer aptly-sensibly-carefully-SAFELY... adverb-sequence-random-apparently-enjoy-musically.

On 17/01/2018 at 07:57, greybeard said:

I used bell wire at Scalford one year, no one noticed, till they looked!

And then they smirked to themselves now knowing why it sounded crap:P

3 hours ago, Fourlegs said:

Well yes, sometimes.  And that is scary!

But I was very, very drunk.

Edited by awkwardbydesign