awkwardbydesign

When do cables start/stop making a difference?

8 hours ago, uzzy said:

If you think they make a difference then spend what you feel is appropriate for a sound you like .. to my ears most of it is a load of tosh as long as you have decent cables (QED 70 strand or better - i use some with over 500 strands) BUT  i have noticed major differences with interconnects for CD don't ask me why 'cos I am a cable sceptic :)

The question was, is there a system level at which people change their minds?  Either way.  Or at least that's what I meant.

Super Mod

The mags would like you to think so, but it isn't my experience.

My current system weighs in at around £50k (rrp!!).  I can hear the difference between a gunmetal platter mat, a felt mat and no mat.  I can hear the difference between DACs (but not transports.) I can hear the difference between a silver SUT and a copper one.  But cables? Nope.

So if there is a magic number where cables suddenly come to life, I haven't found it yet.

6 minutes ago, meninblack said:

The mags would like you to think so, but it isn't my experience.

My current system weighs in at around £50k (rrp!!).  I can hear the difference between a gunmetal platter mat, a felt mat and no mat.  I can hear the difference between DACs (but not transports.) I can hear the difference between a silver SUT and a copper one.  But cables? Nope.

So if there is a magic number where cables suddenly come to life, I haven't found it yet.

Or even a level where you decide you can't hear a difference after years of thinking you did?  As appears to happen. 

yes, but there are multiple uncontrolled / uncontrollable / unknown variables at work. I suspect some cables could be modeled using lumped component method to predict their effect, but I haven't done it (yet).

Edited by dave

2 minutes ago, dave said:

yes, but there are multiple uncontrolled / uncontrollable / unknown variables at work. I suspect some cables could be modeled using lumped component method, but I haven't done it (yet).

Perhaps, but that's not the question.  Do they/don't they make a difference has been done to death, I'm asking a different question.

It has been my experience that SE tube amps are particularly revealing of speaker cables.

2 hours ago, dave said:

It has been my experience that SE tube amps are particularly revealing of speaker cables.

Well, I have a very small and cheap SE power amp (8W), but it isn't my regular amp.  But an interesting view.

6 hours ago, awkwardbydesign said:

The question was, is there a system level at which people change their minds?  Either way.  Or at least that's what I meant.

System level has nowt to do with it - some it is because they believe all they read, others love to tinker and to some it is a religion .. to me if the system sounds good and I am not drawn to any shortcomings then I do not tinker .. If I won the lottery and price was no object I might tinker a bit tho :) 

• Like 1