stewartld

Upgrading after 18 years...but it still sounds great

Super Wammer

Roon through an Auralic Aries Mini sounds fantastic even compared to the vinyl front end costing 10 x the price in the same system/room. Was not controlled by a MAC though. The Mini is not too spendy at £500.

The first thought ought to be how much can I get for my current speakers and how much cash do I have to put down to better their sound in my room? That will give better results on all sources.

If the answer you reach is is too spendy for you  keep the sepakers as there is nothing wrong with them but Proac / Kudos/Neat do some much better ones of similar size after 18 years. You may not like the  new cost though.  I heard the Studios at home but much preferred the Response range of that vintage  but you will only get them second hand now.

Once you have settled on the speakers concentrate on your streaming/DAC source. I would forget about the amps at this stage as they are more than capable.

Super Wammer

The Bluesound Node2 has an IOS app and the unit also has native MQA aswell as running NAS and most music streaming services + Internet radio. 

• Like 1

On 1/12/2018 at 17:02, PuritéAudio said:

Speakers and their interaction with your room are the single largest contributor to sound quality.

Keith

But of course rubbish in then rubbish out, so the source amp and preamp are equally important.  :) but having got a great source and a decent pre and power amp the addition that made the whole thing party was the loudspeakers (which could interact better with my room but I cannot place them in the ideal location but still sound f...ing amazing) :) 

If you are happy with your loudspeakers then the question you should be asking is "is there something wrong/lacking that is detracting from my enjoyment of the music" if the answer is no then don't change the pre / power / or loudspeakers.  If the answer is yes, then you need to work out which of the item/s you need to replace to achieve sonic nervana for you ears :) .. Personal view is I would get a better preamp (if you find one that sounds better to your ears) and then if you have room consider a loudspeaker that can deliver real bass :) 

Edited by uzzy
Additional data
  • Like 1

Super Wammer

I’d second the recommendations to fully explore upgrade options of existing kit - it’s doing something right if it’s been 18 years! I like MF (though have owned only an X-CANS) and am a ProAc groupie, the Studio 125’s being my first and my current being D30R’s. I find Naim initially appealing in demos etc but can never settle into it. Not sure I understand Phil’s puck suggestion as they obviously didn’t do enough to the sound of his 125’s for him to want to keep them...

I’ve just been through the DAC/streamer deliberation, narrowed down to the Bluesound Node 2 and Auralic ARIES Mini and it was little more than the toss of a coin which landed me in Bluesound territory... yesterday. BluOS app works nicely on on iThing or a MAC, does everything my iPeng used to do when I ran LMS into a Squeezebox and a great deal more, including supporting Spotify, Tidal etc as streaming services. I hear equally good things about the Auralic Lighting DS app. Worth checking out the input received from fellow Wammers, could save you time and hassle, see:

On 1/13/2018 at 19:21, Lurch said:
The Bluesound Node2 has an IOS app and the unit also has native MQA aswell as running NAS and most music streaming services + Internet radio. 

Cheeky non-hijacking thanks to Lurch for the Node 2 suggestion and prior to that, at the Living Voice alternatives bake off, the recommendation of Radio Paradise which helped me christen the Bluesound last night. Cracking tunes.

Edited by TheFlash
link added
  • Like 1

Auralic Aries Mini allows built in streaming from Tidal, which I use all the time.  Lightning DS is their Apple control software which is easy and nice to use.

Super Wammer

ah yes the 125 were beautiful and incredible value but they were only meant as a stop gap . really impressed me with proac though and may well be back with proac in the future . 

we spent an interesting evening with a friend who bought the 125 comparing the frugal horn and the 125 . the 125 was more full bloodied and muscular sounding and really is excellent in the midrange . the frugal horn is more linear and crystalline and more transparent so guitars ping more realistically  and vocals are so clear you can hear the rasp so realistically . the top end in the 125 did not suffice for me after listening to my past speakers but for the money [ and they cost 10 times less than my last speakers] they were superb 

this is the horns with the 125 

38767395665_2c2528a6fd_z.jpgP1050212 by , on Flickr

25792433008_7abc05a838_z.jpgP1050211 by , on Flickr