insider9

Chord Qutest

I've been keeping an eye on Hugo 2 impressions on Head-fi and have decided that rather than upgrade my TT to a TT2, I'm going to wait for DAVE to drop in price. That's if there is a TT2. It's interesting that Chord advertise Qutest as a desktop device.

Hugo 2 seems to be the ultimate in transparency but some find it unforgiving. I dare say Qutest would be best paired with a warm amp unless you only listen to audiophile music and are looking for warts-and-all accuracy.

Super Wammer
18 minutes ago, Warszawa said:

I've been keeping an eye on Hugo 2 impressions on Head-fi and have decided that rather than upgrade my TT to a TT2, I'm going to wait for DAVE to drop in price. That's if there is a TT2. It's interesting that Chord advertise Qutest as a desktop device.

Hugo 2 seems to be the ultimate in transparency but some find it unforgiving. I dare say Qutest would be best paired with a warm amp unless you only listen to audiophile music and are looking for warts-and-all accuracy.

Rob Watts said this on Head-Fi today in response to someone wondering if Dave might be replaced in the foreseeable future, "I have many very interesting projects that I am currently working on - none of them include Dave 2. So assuming that the FPGA is not suddenly discontinued (extremely unlikely, Xilinx has kept production running for many years for old families - and the FPGA in Dave is still listed as current family), you are safe in that a replacement is not on my current horizon."

And then soon after, John Franks said, "Dave will remain technically the finest Dac on the planet for many more years to come and as long as we can keep up production we will. Though Rob is sometimes musing on an Ultra Ultra high end Dac with a stupid amount of digital stuff inside and of three things I’m sure, it’s likely to be done one day. Boy is going to be costly, it would have to be. Finally it would take many years to develop and code. Besides all that Rob is very busy with other exciting stuff just now that far more people will get enjoy. So Dave will remain preeminent for a very long time. "

In other words you might have to wait quite a while for Dave to drop in price. It is more likely to increase in the short to medium term.

They do pop up every now end then second hand and that might be your best route to picking up a cheaper Dave.

21 hours ago, Fourlegs said:

The 2Qute and now the Qutest are different in that they take power direct from the power supply and I can quite see how a better power supply could be of benefit there.

For a product that hasn’t been released, that very few people have heard, I find it amusing that forum threads are already filling up with ways to “improve” the power supply for it.

Super Wammer
21 minutes ago, Blackmetalboon said:

For a product that hasn’t been released, that very few people have heard, I find it amusing that forum threads are already filling up with ways to “improve” the power supply for it.

Glad to be of service. 

12 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

Glad to be of service. 

Wasn’t specifically aimed at you, more the people who are already planning on ditching the existing power supply in favour of some expensive audiophile linear/battery power supply.

On 09/01/2018 at 19:04, insider9 said:

Yes, DSD512, 4 filters and and two BNC connectors. Looks good too. 

£1,195. No wonder 2Qute was reduced on Friday to £795.

That’s a good point. The 2Qute may be a better purchase. I have never seen a DSD512 recording that I want to listen to for sale so that is pretty much irrelevant. The filters may be of interest if they can be used to add a bit of warmth. 

1 hour ago, HectorHughMunro said:

The filters may be of interest if they can be used to add a bit of warmth. 

The filters on Hugo 2 seem to be subtle to say the least. In fact I've found the same with any DAC filter.

19 hours ago, Fourlegs said:

Rob Watts said this on Head-Fi today in response to someone wondering if Dave might be replaced in the foreseeable future,

I spotted that shortly after posting. I'm in no rush, the TT sounds great and I want some turntable upgrades first. 

1 hour ago, HectorHughMunro said:

That’s a good point. The 2Qute may be a better purchase. I have never seen a DSD512 recording that I want to listen to for sale so that is pretty much irrelevant. The filters may be of interest if they can be used to add a bit of warmth. 

Offering DSD512 is about product longevity and not only immediate application. Yes there will be a fraction who will buy it for just that but most this will do is not be out of date 10-15 years down the line. 

I can't see filters working in the way you mention. Spacial queues, attack, decay perhaps but don't think it will do anything to tonality. 

But agree 2Qute has just taken the tumble and already seen one selling on eBay for £550 second hand last night. So price difference between Mojo and 2Qute is becoming negligible. With what I'm guessing second hand prices of Mojo (portable) should stay around steady £300 and 2Qute (wild guess) £500. Wonder what it will do to second hand prices of original Hugo. 

These do look promising, should be able to get some excellent deals as well when they are being sold used or on offer. Great Chord DACs may have just become a whole lot more affordable! If it is great, havent heard one yet :)

9 minutes ago, eddie-baby said:

These do look promising, should be able to get some excellent deals as well when they are being sold used or on offer. Great Chord DACs may have just become a whole lot more affordable! If it is great, havent heard one yet :)

How did you find DAVE DAC playing in your system at Scalford? Would you say it was a step up from your usual source? I thought it sounded great but have no point of reference.

15 minutes ago, insider9 said:

How did you find DAVE DAC playing in your system at Scalford? Would you say it was a step up from your usual source? I thought it sounded great but have no point of reference.

Yes the DAVE was 'highly' revealing, maybe a little colder in presentation than what I am normally used to and have come to like over the years but it wasnt clinical or anything. Its just one of the first things I look out for (and like longer term) on digital sources is some organicness in the midrange, the DAVE didnt overly paint that picture for me when I tried it on the short demo, but I still got a taste of what it could do and I did liked it very much. The room was against me as well as the speakers I was using just really needed a lot more space, when we put the DAVE on it just accentuated this issue as there was more of everything coming from it and it had huge bass. But Id love to spend more time with one.  

The MU power supply (add on) made a significant improvement to my already vg 2QUTE

Hopefully they will showing it off at the Bristol show end of Feb? 

Along with some 2qutes on the cheap 😁