TheFlash

Streamer/DAC options

Super Wammer
2 hours ago, PhilofCas said:

The Bluesound Node 2 was what I was referring to, it seems to be more rounded in its software and overall ease of use and compatibility, I’ve read a few times that people prefer it sound wise due to it being fuller/less lean sounding. One really good thing the Mini does have though in its favour is the built in hard drive capability, that’s a nice feature.

Thanks for clarifying, Phil. The sound is a tough call without hearing both, obviously, one person's fuller sound being another's loss of detail... FWIW, my own reference DAC is the dCS RingDAC inside my Arcam CD23T but I'm not sure how that would be described on the fuller-leaner scale.

The built-in hard drive will be useful for some but is not in my spec because I use a Synology NAS. However, it might be useful to be able to store music locally if I wanted to take the streamer somewhere else (Kegworth even?) where actual streaming may or may not be appropriate.

Every Node 2 reviewer/user seems very pleased with the app; there are fewer comments on the Lightning app but all those I've seen seem equally positive.

The good news is that in this price and functionality bracket, the forum(s) chat and reviews keep coming back to the choice really being between these two. Others have their happy customers and fans of course.

Will report back.

Edited by TheFlash
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer

Ok, Bluesound it is. Spoke to a dealer who sells both and was trying to stay ambivalent ("won't be disappointed with either" etc) so all I could get was hints like they have a Bluesound in their main demo system, the Auralic is not in stock and is perhaps a bit more quirky...

And then after poking around on eBay over the weekend, a nice 5m old Bluesound Node 2 pops up having been listed last night (thanks to Nick for pointing me to it) at £375. Now mine.

Thanks for your input which reassured me that out of my shortlisted two there was probably no wrong answer.

Right, I have some boxes to sell.

Nigel

Super Wammer

Nice one :^

Super Wammer
6 hours ago, TheFlash said:

Right, I have some boxes to sell.

Nigel

Don't forget you get more money if you don't just sell empty boxes.

Super Wammer
9 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

Don't forget you get more money if you don't just sell empty boxes.

I feel safe with you watching over me. :)

Super Wammer

Bluesound Node 2 arrived the day after purchase - good old Royal Mail. Excellent condition. Easily installed physically.

The machine had not been factory reset so I enjoyed the seller's Tidal subscription for 10 minutes! Remarkably similar musical tastes but I thought he might suss me if new playlists started turning up... pity.

Spotify (I have a premium account) easily configured.

13,500 ALAC tracks on NAS took a while to index but all up and running; some album artwork missing which shows perfectly in iTunes (I always set this up manually, OCD kicks in when the wrong album art is automatically loaded and/or overwrites the correct one) - will investigate.

The only glitch right now is a (TIdal) playlist called "Colin Demo" which I inherited - it is empty, and I've now been able to delete it but for some reason on my iOS app there is a mysteriously persistent reference to it top right, whichever screen I'm on. You may be forever in my thoughts, Colin, whoever you are.

Radio Paradise (@lurch is a fan) is excellent.

Sound quality is excellent all round.

Very pleased. Much less clunky than my previous Squeezebox-based setup.

Thanks again for all your input.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Hi Nigel,

Wondered how it was going? now a week or so in.

Phil.

Edited by PhilofCas

Super Wammer

Hi Phil,

I'm a happy bunny with wiggly ears. I'm listening right now to a much-needed Chillout playlist on Spotify and the SQ is remarkable. Spotify via hifi rig was the main reason I wanted to move away from my Squeezebox etc (yes I know I could have installed the Spotty app), second was to simplify my setup. This is doing everything its predecessors did and more, with fewer boxes. What's not to like?

If you are passing through, or can justify a diversion, you'd be welcome to pop in for a cuppa and a natter and a demo.

Great, glad to hear it’s just what you were after, really does sound like a good bit of kit. At some point I’m sure I’ll get one, strangely my CCA has been playing up of late, I thing it telling me it’s time to move on 😀.

Thanks for the offer of calling in 👍, will bear in mind. 

Just listening to Nightmares on Wax new album on Spotify, that’s worth a spin, which playlist was it you were listening to?

Cheers.