MartinC

Subwoofer Integration: an interesting article

4 hours ago, MartinC said:

I suspect I may be picking your brains on the subject at some time in the future if that's OK? Right now my initial idea of tentatively considering adding a sub to my systems has (interestingly) spiraled somewhat into a much larger project! I have a a whole house to decorate/furnish at the moment as well though so this will be a long/slow project for me, so don't hold your breath for any rapid progress. 

Happy to help - if I can and I understand completely.  It took me 8 months of researching and working on my speakers before I heard them make a single sound.  Rome wasn't built in a day, as they say.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, barneys dad said:

IF and its a big IF, you are serious about a sub, theres one sure fire way to go, Velodyne

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Velodyne-DD12-Gloss-black/173075272907?hash=item284c1714cb:g:3PsAAOSwTQtaTiYv

yeah, I would love one. But a 10 would suit me better. There is a guy actually selling a 10 on ebay as well, but he wants too much (way more than that 12) and won't come down. These things are last generation subs but hopefully nothing goes wrong with them. Or you really do have a boat anchor.

1 hour ago, eddie-baby said:

These things are last generation subs but hopefully nothing goes wrong with them. Or you really do have a boat anchor.

That would partly be my concern, although I've not looked into long term reliability of the older Velodynes. 13 years ago a DD12 would definitely be something I wanted but I'm a little less sure now. I've certainly read various forum post from people upgrading from these older models and they also include room correction that potentially I don't need. I won't be rushing to buy the current one on eBay anyway.

On 1/8/2018 at 17:15, MartinC said:

(Yes I do mean this to be in the 2 channel section...)

The article below is by Barry Ober, who currently works for JL Audio. I found it interesting with a view to possibly integrating a sub into a stereo setup, with one point in particular standing out for me. This is: the phase control on a sub can only delay the signal relative to the main speakers, but given in most setups the main speakers are closer than the sub what you actually want to do is to delay the signal to the mains instead. This is pretty obvious really but I'll be honest I hadn't stopped to think about this properly before.

http://www.soundoctor.com/whitepapers/subs.htm

I have enough problem getting two speakers in the right place let alone 3 :) .. I understand the need for subs depending on room size and space but thank god I do not have to try and fit one in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, uzzy said:

I have enough problem getting two speakers in the right place let alone 3 :) .. I understand the need for subs depending on room size and space but thank god I do not have to try and fit one in.

You do have rather larger speakers than most though ;).

I'm with you on not enjoying the faff of trying to optimise speaker position but generally it's of course not a question of 'needing to' add a sub but rather there being the potential to improve music/movie enjoyment by doing so.

20 hours ago, MartinC said:

You do have rather larger speakers than most though ;).

I'm with you on not enjoying the faff of trying to optimise speaker position but generally it's of course not a question of 'needing to' add a sub but rather there being the potential to improve music/movie enjoyment by doing so.

I dunno about the need part - all I know is once you have lived with decent low bass reproduction it is very very difficult to live without it :) so if needs must a sub is the alternative just not easy to get right.  Mind you if it was easy would it be half as enjoyable on the journey of getting there ?..

• Like 1