Spider

Homemade ultrasonic vinyl cleaner

Having seen the ultra expensive, ultra cool, ultrasonic vinyl cleaners I figured it must be possible to build something to do a similar job.
So today I spent an afternoon with a ultrasonic bath off eBay a sheet of plastic and an idea :bulb:.
It’s a bit rough and ready but it is functional and it’s doing a really good job on a few records that I’ve struggled to get really clean and dramatically reduced the pops and clicks.
I’m calling it a prototype, having got it working I’ve had a few ideas on how to make it a bit prettier.
Of course it can’t help where there is damage to the vinyl but I reckon it’s getting them pretty clean.
The process I used was a quick scrub with homemade alcohol fluid and a brush on greasy looking finger marks, 10 mins in the bath, vacuume off the excess fluid with my KAB KB1 thingy bob and allow to dry for a minute or two before playing.
That’s it.

8_E47005_A_82_B5_40_A0_A595_E599_DEA5_B5
F9_CE594_A_EE2_E_40_B4_87_E3_97_E3_F86_A
05_C7048_C_B102_435_E_8_D60_24_A831_E4_B
8_AE7_B85_B_EB71_4_D73_94_F1_5_BF5758260
2_AE75_A18_5_A3_C_476_D_960_C_2777671396
46_AB0_E9_B_AA28_40_D1_A9_A9_D2_F59_BD05

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Nice job I made something along the same lines a little while back and have been over the moon with the results. One of the things I found with my ebay sourced ultrasound bath (looks similar to yours) is the temperature control tends not to be very reliable I  have it turned on until the bath reaches 40 degrees then turn it off as on a couple of occasions when I have left it on at the 40 degree setting the water at the bottom of the bath has reached 60 degrees. I use a digital baby bath thermometer to monitor the temperature rather than go on the machines built in one. 

Your motor looks interesting can you share a bit more detail on it?

If you use do a search on the Wham forum for "DIY ultrasonic RCM" you can find my one.

You might want to try more than one LP at a time.

IMG_3961.JPG

Edited by JamieMcC

Hi Jamie

The motor is a 12v high torque motor set for 0.6 rpm. I got it off eBay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Reversible-High-Torque-Turbo-Worm-Geared-Motor-DC-12V-Motor-GW-JGY370-0-6-100RPM/152596967667?hash=item23877cf0f3:m:mrcNWNa7ZcNnXIpLsxl7-RA

I decided to only do one at a time to maximise cleaning action on both sides of the record. Do you find all three clean equally when doing 4 at once.

Do you do anything different to me in the way you clean them?

Thanks for heads up on the heater I’ll remember that and turn off heater once liquid is warm.

nice job - can you have the emitters turned down low or is output level fixed?

This one is a fixed output level.

It wasn't expensive I was trying to keep costs as low as possible. May I'll look out for a fancy bath in the future now I've got a working prototype.

Super Wammer

What size bath did you use?

Thanks for the details on the motor interestingly it looks the same as is used on this ebay option

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RECORD-CLEANING-MACHINE-COMPLETE-PACKAGE-WITH-SONIC-TANK/253224114058?hash=item3af555578a:g:IM0AAOSwe9dZmCjR

but mounted in a small project box with a simple toggle switch and chassis mount power socket for a 12v switching supply. I am going to change my machine to this configuration purely for safety as the motor on mine is a 240v one.

The mix I use for cleaning is simply deionised water with a dash of IPA  with a 15min clean at 40 degree C. I did try some expensive ultrasonic detergent but I don't think it made a difference to be honest and wont be purchasing any more. I have recently purchased some Ilford Ilfotol Wetting Agent  to try and improve deep grove cleaning. It doesn't seem to make a difference if cleaning just one of four LPs at a time its just amazing how much crud ends up in the bottom of the tank and needs to be drained off after doing a few records if you use a short bit of hose on the drain tap and run the water through a paper paint micron filter you can quickly recycle your cleaning mix 

https://londonjazzcollector.wordpress.com/for-audiophiles/home-brew-cleaner-for-vacuum-rcms/

You cant fry chips but you can easily suvee your supper if you wanted to.

Super Wammer

I made one like Jamie's, mine uses one of the mirror ball motors from China, 89p :)

plus point is that in use it annoys the hell out of the kids :cool:

Super Wammer
9 hours ago, bigfool1956 said:

What size bath did you use?

Anyone?

Super Wammer

Same, a few about on line. Just needs to be deep enough to reach up to the run out track. I.e. below the label

note to self; must get round to sanding and painting mine one day. Also need to construct a better bearing at the end opposite the motor as 4/5 LPs are quite heavy, especially new ‘heavy’ ones

Super Wammer