JD68

Unwanted noise from speakers

Can anyone help with what might be causing this?

I got got a new Audinote valve amp in the summer, and in the last couple of months it has developed an annoying noise. It comes mainly through one channel and sounds a bit like the sound when you turn the dial between fm stations. It only happens sporadically and is mostly unnoticable while music is playing, but it is annoying. I have tried changing leads and unplugging all sources, and changing speakers but it is still there, even with the amp volume turned down.

Hopefully the link below works. It was recorded close up so sounds worse than it does in reality - it is the really loud bits that are the problem.

Any ideas about what is causing it? Mains interference, dodgy amp wiring?

Cheers

https://vocaroo.com/i/s0KDWyFjEDNf

3 minutes ago, JD68 said:

I got got a new Audinote valve amp in the summer, and in the last couple of months it has developed an annoying noise. It comes mainly through one channel and sounds a bit like the sound when you turn the dial between fm stations. It only happens sporadically and is mostly unnoticable while music is playing, but it is annoying. I have tried changing leads and unplugging all sources, and changing speakers but it is still there, even with the amp volume turned down.

Hopefully the link below works. It was recorded close up so sounds worse than it does in reality - it is the really loud bits that are the problem.

Cheers

When my valve amp did this I was told it was either a dirty valve base or sometimes to do with Bias of valves being out? Not that I am an expert in this!

Edit, can you remove the valves and reseat with it turned off of course just to see if it reduces or goes away?

Thanks for the reply. It is still under warranty so I could go back to the dealer as anything I do inside the amp might invalidate the warranty. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JD68 said:

Cheers

I had an almost identical noise with mine, it went back to the factory and had a new volume control fitted.

Super Wammer
9 minutes ago, JD68 said:

It is still under warranty so I could go back to the dealer as anything I do inside the amp might invalidate the warranty. 

In that case John, I'd take it back to the dealer and let them diagnose the fault :^

• Like 1

Valve amps are very prone to microphony, which is vibration pickup.  Is your Amp situated near one of the speakers?

if it's a fairly new amp dirty contacts between the valve's pins and the base would be unusual.  Although if the dealer has had it in stock for quite a while it could be the cause.  The metal surfaces will become covered in metallic oxide and thus will give all sorts of problems.  If the valve pins and the base sockets are silver coated, the oxide will burn off after the Amp has been used for a while.  Silver is said to be self cleaning because silver oxide burns off at a low temperature.  If it persists switch off the Amp, preferably unplug it.  The EHT voltages present at the valves' anodes are high enough to cause serious injuries or even be fatal.  Don't forget the Amp's power supply will incorporate some large electrolytic capacitors.  Make sure these are discharged before doing any work.  Remove each valve it turn and spray the valves'pins and the base contacts with Electrolube.   This should clean any oxide or dirt from the surfaces.  Good luck it may be a faulty Amp and if so I would return it to the dealer.  

If your are unsure regarding safe working, ask the dealer to carry out the cleaning procedure.

Ok. I was hoping to resolve it without the hassle of going back to the dealer but it does sound like that will be necessary. Will contact them after Christmas.

By the way the amp was on order from Audionote so was brand new from the factory.

Thanks all.

Valve Amps are better left to the experts!  Audionote only make things one way and they are up there with the best.  But even a Rolls Royce can go wrong.

• Like 1

Super Wammer
11 minutes ago, Ron Hilditch said:

Valve Amps are better left to the experts!  Audionote only make things one way and they are up there with the best.  But even a Rolls Royce can go wrong.

Yes, but one cannot send a valve amp back to the manufacturer every time it makes a noise or else it will spend its whole life in the back of a couriers van.

Often taking out valves and re inserting them is all that is needed to clean up a contact and stop a little noise.

Agreed although a little spray of a contact cleaner does no harm

Super Wammer

I used to get a lot of unwanted noise from my speakers, but my ex and her musical taste have left now.

• Haha 4

An update on this...been meaning to post it for while. I took it back to the dealer, he contacted Audionote and they told him to fit all new valves. He brought it back to me and I've not had a problem since. Cheers for all the advice chaps.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

On 17/12/2017 at 14:09, JD68 said:

Cheers

I was told a long time ago  that there's no such thing as a completely silent valve amp. Perhaps more accurately there's no such thing as a consistently silent valve amp.

Does it matter how much you pay? No. Not IME. I confess these days it would take a lot to encourage me back to the world of sporadic whistling, farting and crackling.

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, notevenclose said:

I was told a long time ago  that there's no such thing as a completely silent valve amp. Perhaps more accurately there's no such thing as a consistently silent valve amp.

Does it matter how much you pay? No. Not IME. I confess these days it would take a lot to encourage me back to the world of sporadic whistling, farting and crackling.

So do you not go down to the pub anymore and then have a curry afterwards?