Martin D

Tidal is reported to be running out of cash

Not surprised as there are other choices, especially as its interface wasn't the easiest to navigate. Search function was hit and miss too.

Great idea, flawed execution. I find Spotify / YouTube perfect for searching out new music, then will buy cd and rip rather than rely on £240 yearly subscription charges. I can purchase alot of s/h music for that price even taking in to account p&p.

Then there's Bandcamp which also puts another nail in the coffin!

Poor ol' Jay-Z. Only a little over a billion dollars left. Time for another concert then?

Now Linn offers native support for Spotify, I will be heading that way from Tidal as soon as my current subscription runs out.  No contest in terms of user friendliness. 

Super Wammer

just a thought, but how many companies have 6 months running costs sat in the bank?. I will stick with it till it goes. If it does go I think Roon will be going as well. I prefer to have all my ''computer'' based music in one place.

I don't know the reputation of 9to5mac, i just came across the article when looking for other stuff, as you do. :D

Qobuz are, and have consistently been in a more precarious position than many of their rivals. But of course no one is persistently trying to will them out of existence so their situation is little discussed! Both they and Tidal are at the niche end of the market so they can't possibly aspire to the numbers Spotify or Apple Music command but they have a business plan and finance and with their subscription model they should hit profit sooner.

Admin

Is Spotify still 320, or do they offer a higher rate? 

They have announced they will do lossless and some people on their top tier are reporting seeing some tracks as FLAC but there has been no official launch of it as yet. 

3 hours ago, Cable Monkey said:

They have announced they will do lossless and some people on their top tier are reporting seeing some tracks as FLAC but there has been no official launch of it as yet. 

I have Spotify Premium and have been receiving FLAC quality 1411kbps for about 3 months now. Possibly a "puppy dog sales technique" would definitely work with me, can't imagine going back to 320k now.....

Admin

I use Spotify premium as i got it with my sim only deal last time around . Where do you find out the bit rate for what you stream ? i use Ipeng to control my SBT to control all my ripped files 

My Pro-ject Network streamer software shows the bit rate it’s receiving from the various sources. See screenshots below:-

A2158791-88F2-466D-BE8A-809CE845DBEE.png

D35AA5A3-EA94-455B-9979-C797A2E6AD37.png

Admin

Thank dont have that functionality I play it though my iPad into a dac but easy to control from all my other apple devices 

39 minutes ago, Fantasque said:

My Pro-ject Network streamer software shows the bit rate it’s receiving from the various sources. See screenshots below

Interesting. That would indicate CD quality from Spotify slowly being introduced. Do you get a fair few albums or is that the only one?