Sign in to follow this  
Biscuit

Music Snobs

I think it would be extremely hard for Kraftwerk to attempt topush theboundaries in a genre they essentially defined,without making a piece that was deliberatelyavant-garde in the extreme. Tour de France Soundtracks was ok, but essentially aluke warm effort IMO.Whilst I love Kraftwerk, Minimum Maximum was over weight with cuts from TDF "soundtracks" for my tastes. After quite a few listens now, they stick out like a sore thumb amongst their classic tracks.

Would have still loved to have seen them though.

KxF

I55 you are correct I was reffering more to the mainstream stuff, however a friend is right into real Hip hop and I still don't like it, I may be wrong, but th only hip hoppy record I like is miseducation of lauren hill, if you can point me in the direction of quality well produced stuff like this with intelligent and intelligable rapping, about subjects other than sex and the wrtiters ego, then perhaps I may seek it out, proper balck soul is different to the RnB missy elliot kinda pap that filled our popular music charts over the last 5 years.

wass up dooooowww

Blast Master KRS1, Fresh for 88 yoeeew suckeerrrs.

Ahhh way before your time Biccy. Back when HipHop was good.

How i used to love reminiscing

Ok rock dinosaur approaching but who the fcuk is DJ Shadow and whats all the fuss about.:Not Sure:

there was no fuss....... honest ;-)

reading this the day after makes me cringe :Not Sure:

Never again will I get upset about something that gets said on the interweb

Entroducing is a good album Duvet, try it out, its normally in the HMV sale. Might not be your taste, but nothing ventured, nothing gained

Biscuit wrote:

of course I know BDP you cheeky git

good lad! :P:P

its never been 'cool' for me to listen to hiphop. I am the most average middle road chap you could ever meet. Everyone laughs when they see my music collection, as it just doesn't fit with my personality at all. Also, the fact that I love hiphop hasn't prevented me from listen to a large variety of other music (in fact, it positivly encouraged it).

The rap/rnb that currently has a grip on popular music has almost nothing to do with the music that I have grown up listening to.

I just thought I'd add that as a youngster growing up in Inner City London in the 70's, 80's and 90's, I listened to a wad of hip hop and electro (although not the only genre that I listened to).

NWA (straight outta compton), KRS-1/BDP (Criminal Minded), Schoolly D (Am I Black Enough for You?),Eric B and Rakim, Grandmaster Flash &The Furious Five, Public Enemy, Herbie Hancock, Afrika Bambaataa, 2 Live Crew, Ice T (Six in da mornin'), Dr Dre (The Chronic is a classic). Easy E (all that G Funk that I like)... ah yes... and the Wu...

Aload of people hate rap because they don't understand where it's coming from, it's roots etc. Most modern 'R&B and hip hop' with its bling postering drives me nuts. Hate it with a vengeance. It's lost its soul.

I do listen toa fair bitof electronic stuff these days. Like turntablism. Not a fan of Coldcut. They're just 'ok' in my book. Ninja Tunes stuff isn't really my bag either. Do like James Lavelle, Tom Middleton/Jedi Knights/Global Communication. Kraftwerk's Minimum Maximum is a fantastic album. Nice reworkings of Numbers and Radioactivity. Agree that Tour De France soundtracks can sound a bit samey.

For those who want to 'get into' hip-hop/turntablism and don't know where to begin I whole-heartedly recommend downloading a few mixes from here:

http://www.djztrip.com/

DJ Z-Trip is very good.

Give it a try cloth-ears! Some excellent mixes to download there.

Biscuit, I bought Z-Trip's studio album 'Shifting Gears' recently. Disappointed with it, to be honest.

Guest 155

analoguekid wrote:

I55 you are correct I was reffering more to the mainstream stuff, however a friend is right into real Hip hop and I still don't like it, I may be wrong, but th only hip hoppy record I like is miseducation of lauren hill, if you can point me in the direction of quality well produced stuff like this with intelligent and intelligable rapping, about subjects other than sex and the wrtiters ego, then perhaps I may seek it out, proper balck soul is different to the RnB missy elliot kinda pap that filled our popular music charts over the last 5 years.

You know, it is quite funny that you mention the 'MisEducation' album as it is one of 'those' albums that I have always had problems listening to, with only two songs on there that I actually like. She is an interesting case in point, as she does form an obvious bridge betweenHip Hop and soul.

In some respects Missy Elliot has pursued a very similar career, but in an opposite direction, beginning with Hip Hop, then working as part of the Devante Swing (of Jodeci) project 'Sista', before moving away to produce (with Timbaland)her very unique fusion of varying elements to produce some very interesting singles (her albums sometimesindicate that her inspiration ran out after four tracks - with the rest being fairly standard 'filler').

I love the fact that her most recent single used 'Clear' by Cybotron, if onlybecause it might inspire some individuals to go back to find the original track by that artist and his other work. Because of the way Hip Hop has operated from the beginning,using music from other artists to provideits basicstructure(particularly so when the musical structure ofHip Hop was centred around the relationship between the DJ and the MC),it has proven very useful in revivinginterest in music and artists that might otherwise have faded in to obscurity. Biscuit mentioned Bob James in an earlier post, I had no idea who Bob James was until I heard Grandmaster Flashusing two copies of 'Take Me To The Mardi Gras', and I wanted to know whatrecord Flash was using. From there you explore their catalogue, and find that the artist has producedmusic that I can (and do) listen to outside the context of 'Hip Hop'. Perhaps the best example here is James Brown, whobenefitted endlessly from the use of 'Funky Drummer', and whose career did enjoy something of a resurgence, and it did reconnect him with his primary black audience.

Regarding the 'pap', there is a great deal of it, but I would be more than happy to recommend some of the soul artists that I have listened to, particularly in the last few years. And I am willing to have you share some recommendations of the music that you listen to, and in that way we both perhaps gain from the venture?

155:)

I'm not a mega fan of the hip hop, RnB sort of stuff, but each to their own and all that.:^

I do really hate music snobs though. With a passion.

People who say "that's crap" when they mean (or at least should mean) "I don't like that". Much as I dislike hip hop etc, I'd never say it's no good, because it's totally subjective.

I dislike classical music, but will never say it's no good. Just doesn't do it for me.

Common courtesy, really.

99% of the music which appears in the singles chart is crap.

99% of the'bands' which appear on CDUK and TOTP are pants!