Sign in to follow this  
Biscuit

Music Snobs

A completely ridiculess thread on HFC has got me really pissed off. I fucking hate it when supposed fans of any genre try to shit on respected classics simply because they are far to well known to be 'cool' anymore. DJ Shadow's Entroducing can't be classic because Double Dee and Steinski made a cut and paste trio of recordings using tape machines, and Coldcut did a remix for Eric B and Rakim?

Fuck you you pretentious twat. At least if you are going to try and say Shadow is rubbish you could at least think up some examples of producers who could actually do it better (and there are plenty of them).

That is all :x:cool:

As mentioned over there... woooowww matey..

Dj Shadow is good, fer sheerr. but the dude disagrees. Man you shot him down,

WTF Russ?

I'n not even really a big DJ Shadow fan, but I recognise an ignorant post when I see one. I've been a huge fan of hip hop since I was 11, taping Westwood shows, saving pocket money for cds and vinyl, and someone coming along and trying to poo poo what all but the most hardcore of rap fans would say was a classic really touched a nerve.

He jumped all over the hifi choice article just to masage his ego that he knows more 'hip hop' than the jounalist

TBH i have the entroducing album, it's ok, but nothing great, but thats just my taste.

I moved the offending thread to your views, as it's less about the music, than a critique of the writer in question :D

I don't mind the fact that people don't like the album, its not to everybody's tastes, thats fine. The thing that annoyed me is that he completely rinsed the jounalist for no reason at all. Entroducing is an absolutely great place to start listening to hiphop, Shadow is acceptable middle class music, and if it introduces more people to what is a far deeper genre than most people give it credit for, that is great IMO.

I agree with you biscuit, i never made it clear, posts like the ones you mentioned annoy me too, think the chap should have asked what folks thought, rather than tell it as it is, but perhaps he is 14

Not worth getting wound up about, anyway what does he know about music, he just infered that Kraftwerk had run out of ideas by listening to Minimum Maximum!!

Chill with a beer and dream of shinny63DP :dude:

Well at least you can chill here at the Wigwam and use HFC as a punchbag from time to time:D

Extra kudos for Biccy. The powers of a bit of music and an ale or two are not to be sniffed at.

just a thought but wheres SuperCapMan these days?

Guest 155

Biscuit wrote:

well I chilled out and invited the guy over to the wigwam, how's that for diplomatic :D

And I'm here, so shall we continue the discussion?

155 wrote:

Biscuit wrote:
well I chilled out and invited the guy over to the wigwam, how's that for diplomatic :D

And I'm here, so shall we continue the discussion?

Welcome along matey. I do hope that you and biccy can get along. It;s a friendly place really.

be seeing you,

James.

Ok, DJ Shadow's album is an important step in the development of hiphop? Difficult question, there is no doubt that this middle class white dude opened up the genre for exploration by a whole new group of people. Did this have a positive effect on hiphop (spawned the hellish Aesop Rock/El-P types that typify indie hiphop of the present day) is a different matter.

Sure, DD and Steinski were exactly the same type of person, but did they have the same impact on the music for the general public - NO! There are many other white guys who had a big impact on hiphop - Paul C had the most slamming drum tracks ever - period, 3rd Bass were dope, and continued as quite prominent A&R men in the industry, Bob James?!? (was he white?). Think of how many DJ Shadow imitators there are these days, then think how many people still make pause tapes......

Coldcut, they did the Eric B and Rakim joint, the 70 minutes of Madness mix, made a few pants albums and started Ninja Tune, can't see how they did more for hip hop than DJ Shadow? You can school me on these guys because I don't know too much about them, but that should tell you something........