monya

Have DACs really improved?

42 minutes ago, Pinkie said:

Oh boy.  Just back in the tent, topic of potential interest, and I am Wammed again.  Must book a holiday to find time to read this thread and see if I can get any good answers.  It's a great forum, but huge. 

Are you kidding this thread (and forum actually) is full of priceless information! :)

Super Wammer
On 2/18/2018 at 16:29, eddie-baby said:

its Fink - Troubles is what youre in

its a good album Keith

40340504841_1ab78b8c32_m.jpg

Wheels Turn Beneath My Feet is the album

Eddie, I just wanted to say that I have really been converted to Fink's albums. They are great to listen to and also they really show up differences in systems. Today for instance I was listening to Sunday Night Blues Club Volume One when trying to assess two different cables and ended up just enjoying the album (obviously when the better cable was selected!!)

30 minutes ago, eddie-baby said:

Are you kidding this thread (and forum actually) is full of priceless information! :)

I wasn't doubting the quality of the information in the thread / forum.  Just my ability to find time to read it.  It's alright if you are in on a thread from the start, but 38 pages of homework is a big ask.  And I realise the subject is bigger (and the possible price tags higher) than I had allowed for

I have a DAC I love.  I prefer it to anything I have heard (not a big field).  It's designer , who I know well enough not to worry too much, says its going to die one day (aren't we all).  It only does Red book really, on BNC or optical cards, and maybe, one day I will get organised with streaming and other inputs would be good. 

Probably I was hoping for a consensus on affordable, excellent, reliable and versatile, and some point of reference to what I know. 

I just need to put my back into reading it I guess...

1 hour ago, Pinkie said:

have a DAC I love

If you have one you love don't even bother reading it :) Just use the time to enjoy some music. What dac is it out of interest. Burr Brown, Wolf, PCM1Xxx etc, do you know, any additional valves in it? 

Its a DaCapo with a 22 bit filter.  J Westlake the designer says the capacitors used were all dodgy and eventually burn through the board tracks.  Since it has survived at least 6 years since he posted that, and given I knew JW personally when I was at PT, I will manage my astonishment if it doesn't die just yet. 

But apart from the imminent death by leaking capacitor (which I guess could be repaired if I felt nothing else left me happy) it lacks a USB input board, and can't handle high resolution files - and just maybe I will sort out streaming again.  I had thought that by now all modern dacs would sound the same, and be at least as good.  No valves in DaCapo, but no DAC chips either - a (fairly) unique discreet DAC circuit, with a secret error in it, buried under potting compound.

My very limited exploration of modern DAC's leaves me greatly underwhelmed.  DaCapo for me still does what it did when I first heard it.  Nearly sound like a record player.

18 minutes ago, Pinkie said:

Its a DaCapo with a 22 bit filter.  J Westlake the designer says the capacitors used were all dodgy and eventually burn through the board tracks.  Since it has survived at least 6 years since he posted that, and given I knew JW personally when I was at PT, I will manage my astonishment if it doesn't die just yet. 

But apart from the imminent death by leaking capacitor (which I guess could be repaired if I felt nothing else left me happy) it lacks a USB input board, and can't handle high resolution files - and just maybe I will sort out streaming again.  I had thought that by now all modern dacs would sound the same, and be at least as good.  No valves in DaCapo, but no DAC chips either - a (fairly) unique discreet DAC circuit, with a secret error in it, buried under potting compound.

My very limited exploration of modern DAC's leaves me greatly underwhelmed.  DaCapo for me still does what it did when I first heard it.  Nearly sound like a record player.

yes, DaCapo I know about it, they were very highly regarded in their day, a bit like the Trichord I have here. Never had the pleasure of hearing the DC though, but would have liked to, I bet its still a great sounding DAC.

Streaming is easy enough to do with your existing DAC surely, just buy a receiver of some sort that you can wirelessly stream to that plugs into one of your inputs on your DAC spdif etc. I didnt think my 25 year old Trichord would work but every wireless/streaming device Ive tried locks on and plays flawlessly. Streaming is just great for convenience.

2 hours ago, Fourlegs said:

Eddie, I just wanted to say that I have really been converted to Fink's albums. They are great to listen to and also they really show up differences in systems. Today for instance I was listening to Sunday Night Blues Club Volume One when trying to assess two different cables and ended up just enjoying the album (obviously when the better cable was selected!!)

I really enjoy the music by Fink, Nick. Some great sounding recordings.

On 26/02/2018 at 18:01, Pinkie said:

imminent death by leaking capacitor (which I guess could be repaired if I felt nothing else left me happy)

fix it before it dies... it would be much easier for the poor sod who does the work.