Chumpy

Windows 10

Super Wammer

..is still shite on lappies etc/thank goodness we major on 7 on proper desktops ...

Edited by Chumpy

Have you come across a donate ware utility called Classicshell?  You can make Win 10 much more like Win 7 and for me it makes it much more usable I can actually find stuff instead of farting around for hours looking for the function I want.

http://www.classicshell.net/

Super Wammer

I find win 10 to be fine, no easier, or harder to use than 7, I think its just what you know. Make yourself work with 10 and its more than OK, certainly preferable to crapple to me.

• Like 1

I like it. WAY better than the abomination that was win8.1 and I find anything by clicking the windows symbol on the start menu and just typing what I require. Finds it instantly...

• Like 1

Super Wammer

I'm ok with it as well. And I too use the search function for all sorts of stuff. Strange, isn't it, that many years after DOS we have reverted to typing in commands again. 

Super Wammer

10 is good and seems more stable and quicker than 7.

10 is the Windows standard now, there isn't any point in avoiding it and it is probably the number one platform for productivity so right now it isn't going anywhere! My frustration is that each update leaves older laptops further behind and that is by design.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
3 minutes ago, Cable Monkey said:

10 is the Windows standard now, there isn't any point in avoiding it and it is probably the number one platform for productivity so right now it isn't going anywhere! My frustration is that each update leaves older laptops further behind and that is by design.

I thought that had always been the case, any desktop or laptop will survive one OS ''upgrade'', after that its as a minimum more ram, or dump it and start again. My old desktop started life on XP, survived through 7, I avoided 8, but 10 killed it. Replaced it with Ryzen based box, pleased I did. The Ryzen box, fully built with 10 pro multiple hard drives etc, cost me less than my first purpose built 133 intel machine way back when, in fact it had the draft plans for a boat for some guy called Noah hid away on the hard drive.  

Super Wammer

Purely domestic use not had a problem with windows 10 (went straight from 7 avoided 8) until this morning Open Reach were working on the cabinet and interrupted the line for a few minutes result screen reappeared with reduced image size  (black band around normal screen image) . Switched computer off which required  windows update and restart now have rather fuzzy horizontally stretched screen image despite screen settings, resolution looking normal . Also have  dentists appointment in half hour so not a good Friday so far !

Super Wammer

... fine tip - but win 7 is best so far - thanks.

Super Wammer

Waiting 6 and a half hours for unwanted unnecessary update compulsorily under Win 10-11 is not our idea of fun - we as over-21s prefer quicker Win 7 less flashy functionality.

3 hours ago, Chumpy said:

Waiting 6 and a half hours for unwanted unnecessary update compulsorily under Win 10-11 is not our idea of fun - we as over-21s prefer quicker Win 7 less flashy functionality.

I'll admit the latest creators update seemed to take a stupid amount of time to install on my Dad's laptop so I will be making sure I leave this to happen overnight myself.

I wish I was only 21 though!

Super Wammer

Yes it took a good couple of hours to install on mine, but all went well with no problems.