Sign in to follow this  
bohemian

Beethoven 7th symphony, extra?

I am no musician so cannot be more explicit about this, but my wife and I have been listening to our Karajan cycle which we have had for years, and also the Vänskä cycle, much more recent, with the Minnesota Orchestra.

In the Seventh, third movement at about 1:30 there is an extra bit of music in the Vänskä.  Both of us sat up at hearing it, it took us by surprise.

I also have the 7th by Kegel with the Dresden Phil, and Haitink with LSO.  Kegel is as the Karajan, Haitink is as the Vänskä.  Anyone noticed this before or can give me any information about it?

Thanks greatly for that explanation, Chris.  It makes sense to me now. Much appreciated.

Chris 

On 11/18/2017 at 08:12, bohemian said:

I am no musician so cannot be more explicit about this, but my wife and I have been listening to our Karajan cycle which we have had for years, and also the Vänskä cycle, much more recent, with the Minnesota Orchestra.

In the Seventh, third movement at about 1:30 there is an extra bit of music in the Vänskä.  Both of us sat up at hearing it, it took us by surprise.

I also have the 7th by Kegel with the Dresden Phil, and Haitink with LSO.  Kegel is as the Karajan, Haitink is as the Vänskä.  Anyone noticed this before or can give me any information about it?

You can partially confirm what Chris has said by length of the music.  It can be anything between 7 and 10 minutes.  If the difference in length is larger than can be allowed for by the tempo, then it is likely that the performers are observing the 'repeat'.

2 hours ago, Andrei said:

You can partially confirm what Chris has said by length of the music.  It can be anything between 7 and 10 minutes.  If the difference in length is larger than can be allowed for by the tempo, then it is likely that the performers are observing the 'repeat'.

Thanks Andrei.