hifinutt

quad Z3 ribbon speakers

2 hours ago, Tarzan said:

What was the S1 or the Artera?

l heard the S1 on the end of a reasonably budget Naim system at it all sounded rather splendid indeed- so it would appear system matching may be critical.:geek:

I believe it was the system matching. However ribbons are what I generally prefer and expected a little bit more timbre and more natural treble if I'm honest. At the time that was in direct comparison to my Roksan K2-TR5. 

For anyone looking for a really small speaker they're an interesting offering. Producing more bass than it's almost possible with their 4 inch drivers.

Edit: To clarify I was underwhelmed with Artera + Play combo.

Edited by insider9

Thanks for clarifying.:^

I bought z3 few months ago and are part of a quad 99 and 09 amplifier. My first impression was the lack of basses...but, as quad says "The Closest Approach to the Original Sound", the original sound is the key point. I have more or less 3000 Cds, so I tried various combinations and recordings: the upper medium range is really excellent and the clarity of the sound really impressive, same for the brightness and the instruments soundstage: you really seems to seat in the middle of the players. The Z3 Basses improved after 3 months of use, but if your favorite listening is the camera or solo instrument music, Z3 do an excellent job, If you listen to orchestral music, I agree that a subwoofer is required. The CD recording is also really really important the tweeters brightness is a double face issue, emphasizing all the CD limit and increasing the sournesses of some recordings. Now I am waiting for the Quad Solus with wi-fi (it should be appear on 3rd quarter this year), in order to start with HI-RES music files use (I spent 1 year to convert my CDs in FLAC files!). I will keep you informed about this combination ASAP. Last: I previously had a couple of Miller & Kreisel loudspeakers and I was lookin for years some loudspeaker with a similar sound, listening ELAC, Totem, Sonus Faber etc, but Z3 have the closest M&K sound!

I have the Quad Z-3. Favourite ever. Running off a Naim Atom in a small-ish lounge 3.5 x 5m and listening with knackered 50 year old ears.

Previously had:

B&W 602 - pleased with them at their price point.

Naim Mu-So - pretty amazing for its size.

Monitor Audio Gold GX100 on their own MA Gold stands - poor integration of ribbon with cone. Dull and disappointing.

Spendor A5R - very good against walls, as not ported. Very small scale though compared to bigger speakers. If you need stand mounters to be this compact, they are ok overall.

Linn Majik 140 - best highs and sense of space I've ever heard. Downside was poorly defined lower registers (at necessarily low volumes) and impossible to place near walls without ridiculous bass bias. Plasticky looks also.

The quads are only slightly behind the Linns for highs and space, but leagues ahead for overall experience, not to mention aesthetics. And even though they have a rear slot port, they still seem fine against walls. They move a lot of air and are very satisfying even at low volumes. They are definitely keepers.

Edited by Basil123
Want to be notified of replies

Interesting - from Quad's own spec's on their web site, the cheaper S series seems to go lower in the bass region.

Has anyone compared an S to a Z ...?

I have Z4's for fronts, ZC center and Z1's for rear on a Marantz 7013.

I currently do not have a sub(s) connected, yet.

I'm not in any position to give advice on hifi hardware with my limited experience, but I will say that the Quad Z's improved dramatically in the bass department after about 1 month of frequent use.

Also, the bass port has a damper glued in from the factory. You can leave it in, but removing it improves the bass by quite a bit.

I have 3 steps to complete my setup, first is 4 ceiling speakers for atmos, im thinking gallo's A'diva SE's. Second step is a couple of 10 inch subs probably Gallo's TR-3D for the WAF, third step is is bi-amping the fronts, as i'm told they are hungrier then what the marantz can deliver.

If anyone has a good idea for a decent amp to bi-amp my Z4's i'm curious to know, budget would be between £1.5k and £2k.

Quad qsp perhaps which are 535 sh or 699 brand new , could get 2for your budget 

12 hours ago, hifinutt said:

Quad qsp perhaps which are 535 sh or 699 brand new , could get 2for your budget 

Thanks a lot for the advice, that looks like it would surely do the trick!

When you mention 2, do you mean the Quad Elite QMP monoblocks? They would be around 1.5k on sale, so definitely an option. I assume two QMP monoblocks would be preferable to one Quad Elite QSP? My general usage is not really about going very loud, but clarity and control, if that helps!

I like the thought that systems matching would surely not be an issue.

Also, if I go for a separate amp's for the fronts I would likely also upgrade my current cheap-ish cables, any ideas?

ah i meant 2 qsp new at 699 each  

https://www.lintone.co.uk/quad-elite-qsp-stereo-p-amp-black-special-offer

Edited by hifinutt

1 hour ago, hifinutt said:

Thanks for the tip!

Question though: If not considering the cost, wouldn't it be better use of space, power and hardware to have two monoblocks instead of two stereo amps, if im only concerned about powering the fronts? Were you imagining two stereo amps powering 1 speaker each?

Did you end up getting Quads by the way?

Cheers

no i got some big impulse taus speakers and use a very humble stereo amp which so far has beaten off amps costing a great deal more 

i also use just a decent stereo amp in my rig with tannoys