hifinutt

quad Z3 ribbon speakers

any of you guys heard the Z3 speakers ? they seem rather beautiful and good vfm

http://www.quad-hifi.co.uk/product-detail.php?pid=31

http://www.quad-hifi.co.uk/news-detail.php?id=16

I've not heard these however if you demo don't do it on the end of Artera + Play combo. I've listened to S-1 and was underwhelmed. 

11 minutes ago, deggie said:

.How much are they phil.

£3,200

no the z3 is 2500 pounds , the higher one is 3200 pounds . seems good value 

https://www.fanthorpes.co.uk/speakers/floorstanding-speakers/quad-z3-speakers/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwoySlqm71wIVdSjTCh33DAoLEAQYAiABEgLqdPD_BwE

from the review 

The absence of discernible manipulation has much to do with the honesty of the ribbon, of course. Dizzyingly high in resolution and vanishingly low in distortion, it brings a sense of realism to transients and textures even the best dome tweeters, metal or fabric, would be hardpressed to challenge. Also, being larger than the S Series’ ribbon, the Z’s is more efficient and reaches lower, integrating superbly with the Kevlar-coned midrange driver that sits below it. The Z-3 is strong at the other end of the frequency scale, too, pumping out the fat synth bass line of StevieWonder’s I Wish with the bouncy enthusiasm it warrants, but without the thickness and bloat some less well controlled and mannered floorstanders can bring to the party.

Furthermore, the speed and clarity of this speaker, allied to a beautifully judged midrange (lots of presence but not too forward), does vocals and massed strings no harm at all. Joni Mitchell’s achingly sad Both Sides Now, usually a bit syrupy, actually gains in emotional power through sounding cleaner and more precise, with less melancholy ‘musk’. In broad terms, muscle and poise go hand in hand.

There’s an overarching sense of control, but the pulse of a thrill is never far from the surface. For recordings with a built-in change of pace and dynamic reach, such as Corrine Bailey Rae’s fab Hey, I Won’t Break Your Heart from her The Heart Speaks In Whispers album, the Z-3 is a natural, able to track the change of pace as deftly as the kick in tempo and dynamics. As I’ve already hinted, it’s the Z-3’s remarkable compass and even-handedness that inform its ability to score with all types of music, however loudly or softly it’s played. Did I mention it images beautifully as well? Funny thing is, when a pair of speakers gets the stereo right, you hardly notice. Conclusion The Quad Z-3 ticks so many boxes I’m inclined to think it may be one of the very best speakers Quad has ever made. The way the speaker looks and the quality of its build and finish are powerful hooks in themselves. Photos really don’t tell the whole picture, this is one £2,500 floorstander that could take the Pepsi Challenge with high-end exotica at twice the price. That goes for its performance, too. Yes, it’s that good and, at the price, an absolute steal. Finally a Quad speaker has stepped out from the shadow o

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

I heard them at my local dealer, and was ready to splash the cash, but I found them far to bright. As I approached the demo room, I thought that perhaps a workman was using a portable radio in the room, but as I went inside I realised it was the Quad speakers.I listened for a few minutes and said they are not for me. It was a shame because the press release compared it to the ESL for those who dont have the space and I waited months for the demo pair to arrive at my dealer.

Alan

19 hours ago, deggie said:

cheers robin.

Sorry, I followed the Hi Fi News link not realizing it was for the Z4

I bought the Z3's after living with some S2's for a few months and loving them. 

Be careful though, they are very, very system sensitive. I heard them first on a Cyrus something or other and it just showed how bright the Cyrus gear is. Then heard them on a Bel Canto and they sounded really nice. 

I ended up buying a pair, and a bel Canto to drive them, they were nice. But, and it is a big but, they have no bass, comparing them to the S2s they didn't really go any deeper. Now I use a Rel sub so it didn't bother me at all, but something to consider. I also preferred them with my Meridian pre and modded Quad 405-2 power, they really started to shine with that combo, really lovely and smooth. 

In the end though I did actually prefer the Z2s to the Z3's, well not preferred as such, but the S2s come in at £599 or £699 and the Z3s were £2k with a 20% discount, and  with me sending everything below 55hz to the sub anyway I decided to move them on. 

The guy I sold them to I spoke to again after a couple of months and he had already moved them on too, he said he had no room for a sub and just couldn't get on with the lack of bass. I had them back to back with my ESL-988's and they are remarkably similar, but if anything the electrostatics had more bass than the Z3s which is saying something. 

If you use a sub they are superb, but be careful if you don't. 

• Like 1

thanks , apparently zouch audio have a pair of z3 on demo if any one interested . frank Harvey hi fi in Coventry have the z4 on demo . feed back if you get a chance to hear them

Super Wammer

just bought some z4 they will be here on tuesday £1990 , ex dem ,

as long as your ears say they are good then they are good (for you) .. 

Edited by uzzy

20 hours ago, gwernaffield said:

just bought some z4 they will be here on tuesday £1990 , ex dem ,

:pop:

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 23:07, insider9 said:

I've not heard these however if you demo don't do it on the end of Artera + Play combo. I've listened to S-1 and was underwhelmed. 

What was the S1 or the Artera?

l heard the S1 on the end of a reasonably budget Naim system at it all sounded rather splendid indeed- so it would appear system matching may be critical.:geek: