jkbmusic

The Ultimate Motor Car?

Is this the Ultimate Motor car?   11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Super Wammer
28 minutes ago, macvisual said:

wOw that Citroen D5 above is utterly beautiful !!! Those lines........total iconic beauty.

The DS lived up to its name. Pronounced De Ess in French, it means Goddess.

The ID 19 has a similar punny name  Ee Deh, Idea.

S

On ‎02‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 19:54, SergeAuckland said:

The DS lived up to its name. Pronounced De Ess in French, it means Goddess.

The ID 19 has a similar punny name  Ee Deh, Idea.

S

My wife's favourite car and almost my own. There is a fantastic gloss black example parked near us that has the most elegant venetian blind in the rear window, perfectly shaped to keep off the sun. Magnificent cars - if my numbers came in, she would be getting a dark green or petrol blue DS as soon as I could find one. Sod the bills.

Whenever she sees a current 'DS' there are cries of foul play (more like WTF do they think they are doing borrowing that revered name for a crappy hatchback). There doesn't even seem to be the beautiful double chevron any more. Vraiment, ils ont jeté le bébé avec l'eau du bain!

As for the ID19, Toyota had less luck with their 1980's MR2 mid-engine sports car. To the French, it sounded every bit the excretive expletive - 'Em-er-deux'.

Super Wammer
7 hours ago, batteredhaggis said:

My wife's favourite car and almost my own. There is a fantastic gloss black example parked near us that has the most elegant venetian blind in the rear window, perfectly shaped to keep off the sun. Magnificent cars - if my numbers came in, she would be getting a dark green or petrol blue DS as soon as I could find one. Sod the bills.

Whenever she sees a current 'DS' there are cries of foul play (more like WTF do they think they are doing borrowing that revered name for a crappy hatchback). There doesn't even seem to be the beautiful double chevron any more. Vraiment, ils ont jeté le bébé avec l'eau du bain!

As for the ID19, Toyota had less luck with their 1980's MR2 mid-engine sports car. To the French, it sounded every bit the excretive expletive - 'Em-er-deux'.

The original DS is a beautiful car, and worthy of all the plaudits given to it over the years. But having owned a DS5, which I think is the only model you can compare to the original. I found it very innovative especially the interior, and extremely comfortable, especially on long journeys. Mine did still have the Chevrons, but they have been re-branded DS, similar to Toyota & Lexus.

09citroends5carreview.jpg.f5b7ba349c4c6ca1695d3bb8b1fb6e58.jpg

The price has risen considerably since the re-branding and they are no longer as good value as when I bought mine. I have since changed to a Jag XE which turned out to be cheaper, when nearly new :)

2812043-21498992.jpg.f9ab03f4080832784076bfaeddd167ed.jpg

Oh and the Jag is great :D Not quite as comfortable on long runs, but handling and performance are better, and it's a Jaguar!

On 3/9/2018 at 08:23, greybeard said:

The original DS is a beautiful car, and worthy of all the plaudits given to it over the years. But having owned a DS5, which I think is the only model you can compare to the original. I found it very innovative especially the interior, and extremely comfortable, especially on long journeys. Mine did still have the Chevrons, but they have been re-branded DS, similar to Toyota & Lexus.

09citroends5carreview.jpg.f5b7ba349c4c6ca1695d3bb8b1fb6e58.jpg

The price has risen considerably since the re-branding and they are no longer as good value as when I bought mine. I have since changed to a Jag XE which turned out to be cheaper, when nearly new :)

2812043-21498992.jpg.f9ab03f4080832784076bfaeddd167ed.jpg

Oh and the Jag is great :D Not quite as comfortable on long runs, but handling and performance are better, and it's a Jaguar!

Prices of the older DS's are strong! :o

I think Citroen are trying to re-brand the new DS as a luxury brand in their own right, separate from the main car brand.

Interested to see how is the Jag performing, mileage and economy? Always fancy one but with me doing nearly 40K annually, I can't seem to part from my Merc C class.

Always worry about reliability from the Jag, especially after Police Forces parted ways and went back to German after reliability issues...

• Like 1

Super Wammer

So far so good, but I have only covered 5000 miles. I really enjoy driving it, and there is a pride of ownership.

10 hours ago, greybeard said:

I really enjoy driving it, and there is a pride of ownership.

I definitely get that... That badge is special.

^ Obviously the designer has never seen a speed bump!

Super Wammer

Maybe Dyson did make it: as a car, it sucks. Front spoiler attached to outer wheels. Maybe the green stripe on the “wheel” is the bit which provides traction. In a straight line as the wheels don’t turn. Gorgeous looks IMHO but it’s not much of a car and not much of a concept!

8 hours ago, TheFlash said:

Maybe Dyson did make it: as a car, it sucks. Front spoiler attached to outer wheels. Maybe the green stripe on the “wheel” is the bit which provides traction. In a straight line as the wheels don’t turn. Gorgeous looks IMHO but it’s not much of a car and not much of a concept!

Mercedes-Benz Silver Arrow Concept Car provides diagonal hubless roller track for steering in every direction, referred to as omni-directional driving. The vehicle additionally features a Mag-Tech roof program that consists of the lightweight magnetic surface. The roof can be dropped in order to form a convertible or raised for any solid surface. This vehicle blends utility and also adventure. The car will be easy to handle, although featuring an appearance straight out of sci-fi movies. Your vehicle was manufactured to commemorate Mercedes Benz’s 125th anniversary and is really a testament to the innovation that the business provides.

Car-Concept-Mercedes-Benz-Silver-Arrow.jpg

Super Wammer
4 minutes ago, GLB said:

Mercedes-Benz Silver Arrow Concept Car provides diagonal hubless roller track for steering in every direction, referred to as omni-directional driving. The vehicle additionally features a Mag-Tech roof program that consists of the lightweight magnetic surface. The roof can be dropped in order to form a convertible or raised for any solid surface. This vehicle blends utility and also adventure. The car will be easy to handle, although featuring an appearance straight out of sci-fi movies. Your vehicle was manufactured to commemorate Mercedes Benz’s 125th anniversary and is really a testament to the innovation that the business provides.

Car-Concept-Mercedes-Benz-Silver-Arrow.jpg

Yeah right. They'll be saying  it's "race track proven" next... I did a bit of "omni-directional driving" myself in the snow just over a week ago: I think I prefer just plain old directional driving.

Having questioned its, err, practicality: I am not normally a bling kinda guy but I have to say that this car reaches the parts other cars don't reach. Gorgeous to these eyes. :)

• Like 2

On 1/6/2018 at 18:07, parcelmonkey said:

Image result for citroen ds original

Très elegant...

It's all very well getting there fast and loud, with great handling & if you drive everywhere like you stole it. This will last about 8 days until you've maxed out on points! No good arriving anywhere unless you arrive in style... He who shouts loudest may be heard, but style and sophistication will get you noticed. And comfortable too.

Undoubtedly the finest bodystyle ever created.  Pity the engine's not an in-line six and the dashboard is a little strange.

I never knew this car forum existed, and with the same crowd as 2-channel.  This could be dangerous as I blew three-quarters of my inheritance money on investment cars that  I can enjoy on dry weather days.  My late father used to moan-off about the cars I'd wanted to buy when I started earning reasonable money at 21 and turned away some blinders for next to nothing (a DBS6 for £5k no less!) and all out of his overbearing influence.

Edited by britishcomposers

Well, this is my all time favourite design and period.  Series 1 Bentley Continental Flying Spur long-wheelbase saloon.  And dashboards are important to me.  Must be invested of wood and plenty of dials/gauges.  Elegance and simplicity.  Couldn't take it into any town though.  Just drive to some posh hotel or country pub/restaurant or country estate.  Doubt it would get through a McDonald's drive-thru.

Ultimate class car.jpg

The ultimate dash.jpg

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, britishcomposers said:

Undoubtedly the finest bodystyle ever created.  Pity the engine's not an in-line six and the dashboard is a little strange.

I never knew this car forum existed, and with the same crowd as 2-channel.  This could be dangerous as I blew three-quarters of my inheritance money on investment cars that  I can enjoy on dry weather days.  My late father used to moan-off about the cars I'd wanted to buy when I started earning reasonable money at 21 and turned away some blinders for next to nothing (a DBS6 for £5k no less!) and all out of his overbearing influence.

Nostalgia's not what it used to be...

I just love these cars. My wife used to go to Belgium every year as a child (to save a wammer wag from asking "why?", she's half-Belgian) and they used these as the taxis in Bruxelles. Decent ones have been fetching silly prices for years but I know I'd have to have one if I won the lottery. This is unlikely as I don't play.