bohemian

PrimaLuna Owners Club

On 15/11/2018 at 09:48, mikeyb said:

I'm glad they have a service dept as my Dialogue Premium HP power amp should hopefully be winging it's way to them as I write.

I'm hoping for an easy/cheap fix and sent it back under the impression it was still under warranty, it's not 😥

Will you keep us posted in how you got on with repairs?

Super Wammer

Just bought a pair of Prologue 6 monoblocks, should arrive mid next week. Perfect partners for my xmas pressy vinyl hoard! :) 

For now they will be paired with a Leema Elements DAC/preamp (borrowed from my "main" system) so will have to revisit that later. Open to suggestions, main source will be a P3-24 but some streaming from a PC/Pi as well.

Already googling for Svetlana C's but will give it six months for the amps to settle in before I chase a squirrel up the tube rolling tree.

Hi, you'll be really happy with them!

Check they have the changed fuses as per the p/l website:

Fuse upgrade and change in value for PrimaLuna products

This is an important note concerning the mains fuse value on PrimaLuna products.

PrimaLuna has decided that in order to improve sonic performance and protection of our products, we will start using Littelfuse brand name fuses. We have selected their Series 213 as best choice for our use.

These fuses can handle a much higher short time switch-on current than the standard slow blow fuses we used before. Reason why these new fuses have a lower nominal value rating than the standard fuses we used before, while still able to handle the current of your  PrimaLuna product.

For all PrimaLuna models since 2003 you can use the following fuse table:

fuse.gif

PrimaLuna will -through their distributors- supply a FREE package of fuses to all REGISTERED PrimaLuna owners worldwide. Please make sure you are registered. If not, or if not sure, please register again on our website (support section) and AFTER THAT email us with a request for a FREE LITTELFUSE PACKAGE. 

We will supply you with new fuses as explained in this new fuse table above.  You will also get a label to place on the chassis, and a label for the owner's manual.  The owner's manuals available for download here have been updated and are available now. 

I registered my prologue 7s even though they were bought s/h and Herman sent me the new fuses foc. A doddle to change too.

If you dont have it, here's a link to the manual.

http://primaluna.nl/pdfmap/ProLogueSixManual_hr.pdf

Enjoy! Chris

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

Received the mono blocks the other day and unfortunately they don't seem to be alright :(

After plugging them in both channels have a significant popping / scratching sound (audible from the listen position), I reseated the tubes and tried unplugging the pre-amp and the noise is still there. The noise level is not constant, however the sound quality when playing music is excellent.

Also one of the output tubes is glowing much brighter then the others, I'm going to rotate the tube to a different socket to see if it's the socket or tube but shouldn't auto-bias take care of that?

The eBay seller stated in his ad the tubes were almost brand now (an official set from Primaluna) and after I contacted him regarding the glow and noise he is suggesting it's a problem with the earth on my mains ring, never had issues with other amps before. Could the new set of tubes be bad already (or damaged in transit)?

Any suggestions what to try? I'm tempted to shell out for another full set of tubes but that's a lot of cash if the problem is with the amps themselves.

Thanks!

UPDATE

Re-seated and cleaned the tubes and tube sockets, put in a mains conditioner and now the problem has gone away. Now back to playing tunes! :D

Edited by hlinden
  • Like 1

I'd love to demo a pair of Dialogue Premium HP mono power amps in my system at some stage connected to a Promitheus Audio TVC passive pre amp.  

@macvisual   I don't know anything about passive preamps, but I did once demo one with the Prologue 7s and it didn't work at all. Not in sound terms, it just buzzed horrendously. That was many years ago. I wish I could remember its name but my brain cells keep giving up on me. I remember it was highly regarded in its day.

The Dialogue Premium Poweramps are excellent, though, and I imagine the HP have the same sound but just extra power.  Definitely worth a demo.

Posted (edited)
On 28/12/2018 at 18:05, bohemian said:

Fuse upgrade and change in value for PrimaLuna products

Edited by locheeboy
x

At the minute deciding on the purchase of a new dialogue premium hp, would like to see a few more comments!

3 hours ago, jobseeker said:

No comments on the new Evolution range yet?

Having recently bought Dialogue Premium pre and 2 powers, no.  Very happy with what I have, though.

Hi Guys

Newbie here, was wondering if anyone have experience in replacing the 12Au7 driver tubes with E80CC/6085. 

Thks

Which amp are you using? The manuals for my dialogue premium pre and powers don't suggest it as an alternative.

Hi Bohemian,

Thanks for the reply, manual says nothing about this tube. Guess its because it's not so common. This tube has lots of oomph & goodness to the sound. Have used it in other amps . Its like a 12au7 on steroids.