Sotosound

RUSSELL K IN THE HOUSE – IN MORE WAYS THAN ONE

1 minute ago, PuritéAudio said:

If you measure you have tangible graphic evidence which you can correlate with your subjective impressions.

Keith

I agree totally with you there Keith, but if you can't do anything about the measurements then you're going to be in a happier place by not taking any.

6 minutes ago, awkwardbydesign said:

You've obviously tried what you are rejecting, then.  BTW, it's free!

OK, I'm putting you on the list marked  'gullible'. 

• Upvote 1

Super Dealer

You can always do something, even JRiver has EQ, ROON, even ITunes I believe.

Even moving your seating position a foot can move you from a cancellation/ reinforcement.

Keith

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

Even moving your seating position a foot can move you from a cancellation/ reinforcement.

Keith

And if you can't detect that change by ear (without a mic) is it worth it?

Ignorance is bliss is some situations.  Certainly if you aren't using a computer as a source or can't /wont add in a minidsp unit or similar. 

Edit:  If you have these options then a mic and correction is the way to go in my opinion.

Edited by rv295

23 minutes ago, Trunky said:

OK, I'm putting you on the list marked  'gullible'. 

Well, I only believe or disbelieve when I have tried it for myself.  Otherwise it's unproven as far as I am concerned.  BTW, have you heard the differences between resistor types, or capacitors?  Or is that also impossible? 

Edited by awkwardbydesign

Admin

The OP is happy , shouldn't we be ? 

Super Wammer
57 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

If you measure you have tangible graphic evidence which you can correlate with your subjective impressions.

Keith

Why would you want to?  Enjoy a change or don't enjoy a change.  Why would you need to measure anything?  And how many parameters are you going to measure just to find out if it correlates in some way or not?  I see the corroboration through measurement as completely pointless compared to if you want to listen to it or not.

You might want to measure to work out a problem (like room modes or reflection points), but just to prove that you were right to enjoy something or not?  Pretty pointless.

5 hours ago, PuritéAudio said:

Sellotape under a power block making a discernible improvement is it April already?

i would acoustically measure the room, the Fr plot would be most revealing, even in a room with few placement options a small movement of the speakers or listening seat can bring a worthwhile improvement , which you can corroborate by measurement.

Keith

Masking tape, actually. :) And it did make a significant difference. For Mario Biondi it was like the difference between a bad gig and a good one.

5 hours ago, Trunky said:

Whilst I can understand the benefits of isolating a CD player using cones/any other method, the rest does seem to be rather unbelievable.

I can only (mis)quote chumpy.

Spending money may you enjoy suitably YOUR suitable choice-implementation-maintenance - enjoy aural exultation .

I trust my ears. They've been trained over the years by a musician mother and a record producer amongst others.

Super Dealer

Ask someone to remove and replace the tape, the only stipulation is that you cannot know when the tape is in place ,  can you reliably pick when the taper is in place?

Keith

7 hours ago, Sotosound said:

And that's where I am. :)

Acoustically measuring the room won't change it. All it would do is to cause frustration. I've often said that the best hi fi upgrade would be to move house, but that won't be happening any time soon.  I actually like where I live.

That's the spirit. Have what you want and make it work. You'd do well at Scalford.

2 hours ago, Trunky said:

It's just rubbish. Utter and complete rubbish. Audiophile Sellotape for gullible hifi enthusiasts with more money that sense. Whatever next?

Yeah, but if you can get rich by selling the concept then you're onto something. :)

My real point is that raising the power block off the floor onto two reels of masking tape really did improve the timing significantly. The other real point is that you can spend hundreds of pounds on cones and ceramic bearings or you can grab some Sellotape from the drawer and achieve largely the same result.

Suggesting differences between brands of masking tape was just mischief given what it's possible to buy (or be sold) in the whacky world of hi fi.

(I'm sure that if it sounds convincing then someone will part with their cash.)

3 hours ago, rv295 said:

I'm having a hard time with this thread because I'm sure the exact same results could have been achieved if the O.P simply left the room and thought something had changed when nothing actually had. 

The important thing however is the process has changed the mental state of the O.P and they are now happy with the set-up.  If it only takes a couple of hours and a couple of cups of tea to achieve this, it's money and time well spent.  I liken it to falling in love with someone that you weren't before, the only thing that really changes is your perception of that person.

I trust my ears (still). :)  I've had these Red 150s for several weeks and have gotten to know them very well. I can also tell when they sound different, which they did with each tweak last Friday. There is a difference between wanting to hear something and actually hearing it.

Also, I borrow my wife and her ears quite often. She has very good ears but they haven't been trained and, therefore, if someone is going to tell it like it is then she will.

3 hours ago, PuritéAudio said:

Keith

That makes sense. However, it's also possible to hear something that you don't have the instruments to measure.

My measuring device is between my ears. It's a very small device but it's effective. It's also capable of keeping a log of past measurements although some filtering of old readings is required.

3 hours ago, PuritéAudio said:

Keith

This is very true. The two listening rooms that I visited proved this point since one had a low-backed upright settee and was longer than it was wide, and the other had a high-backed low settee and was wider than it was long.

These two settees in their two rather different rooms provided different experiences - and neither room really sounded like my lounge. At home we have a high-backed low settee, so what I heard in the second listening room was, however, closer to home for me since I picked up the same types of reflection and interference as I get at home, i.e. caused by the cushion right behind my head.

(And let's not forget how lighting can also affect one's hearing. The first room was brightly lit and I ended up turning the lights out so that I could hear properly.)

Regarding seating position, at home if I sit up and move my head back and forth I can hear the sound change as I move through zones of constructive and destructive interefence.

Having said all of that, I just want to sit on the settee and listen to my music, not rock back and forth. So I just have to accept what I have and choose speakers that sound good while I'm relaxing.

1 hour ago, PuritéAudio said:

Ask someone to remove and replace the tape, the only stipulation is that you cannot know when the tape is in place ,  can you reliably pick when the taper is in place?

Keith

If I did then you'd probably still mistrust the outcome.

And I didn't start this thread - which is a good news thread - just to have people tell me that I don't know what I'm hearing.

• Like 1