robbie010

DIY Cable Risers!!

10 hours ago, Tony_J said:

It's a weird audiophool rewrite of The Emperor's New Clothes.

I was actually going to have this on display at Horrogate, but decided not to lest it offends....

c15b20291db4ebbad3d679f4c4308284--the-em

Regards

Shirley

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Jon Espley said:

Just wondering what sort of equipment you would need to take measurements?

I'm only using Umik-1 measurement microphone, which will show any audible differences.

I would be surprised if there are any but it won't take long nor will it be inconvenient. Especially as I will be testing audible effects of decoupling floorstanders with wooded blocks at some point, hopefully today. 

Super Mod
2 minutes ago, Brigadoon said:

I was actually going to have this on display at Horrogate, but decided not to lest it offends....

c15b20291db4ebbad3d679f4c4308284--the-em

Regards

Shirley

Next time you're at a hifi show, look around......no mirrors!

• Haha 1

Super Mod

Nice to see an interesting thread which has generated such interest from all my fellow Audiophooles. It has caused so many grey cells on the wam to be excited this morning, and quo dos to the OP. I think I might have come up with a more profitable cost effective solution, which will satisfy even the measurists.

Measure the distance between the Amp. and the Speaker terminals. Then subtract this distance by a suitable amount depending on the elastic properties of the cable. E.g. 3 metres minus 5 centimetres. Plug in the new cables which will now be above any of the interference from the carpet, to other floor product. 

Obviously care would need to be taken so that you don't trip over the suspended cables. The only floor flaw I can see is being able to go to your nearest cable supplier, and asking for a 2.95 m cables. Alternatively you could move your speakers outwards by the required amount, to obtain the tension required.

Cable lifters, not needed. 

:geek:

• Haha 2

Super Wammer
3 minutes ago, jkbmusic said:

Nice to see an interesting thread which has generated such interest from all my fellow Audiophooles. It has caused so many grey cells on the wam to be excited this morning, and quo dos to the OP. I think I might have come up with a more profitable cost effective solution, which will satisfy even the measurists.

Measure the distance between the Amp. and the Speaker terminals. Then subtract this distance by a suitable amount depending on the elastic properties of the cable. E.g. 3 metres minus 5 centimetres. Plug in the new cables which will now be above any of the interference from the carpet, to other floor product. 

Obviously care would need to be taken so that you don't trip over the suspended cables. The only floor flaw I can see is being able to go to your nearest cable supplier, and asking for a 2.95 m cables. Alternatively you could move your speakers outwards by the required amount, to obtain the tension required.

Cable lifters, not needed. 

:geek:

If the existing cables are too long they are easily knotted to take up any slack. 

The suspended cables also become dual purpose and can be used for drying socks and other underwear. 

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
24 minutes ago, insider9 said:

I'm only using Umik-1 measurement microphone, which will show any audible differences.

I would be surprised if there are any but it won't take long nor will it be inconvenient. Especially as I will be testing audible effects of decoupling floorstanders with wooded blocks at some point, hopefully today. 

How will you be supporting the UMIK?  Do you have microphone stand lifters to eliminate the floor vibration effects on the mic?

Edited by sunbeamgls
typo
  • Haha 1

Super Wammer
Just thought I would share my little DIY project. 
Having bought a nice set of terminated Audioquest Midnight 2 Speaker cables and looking around at the (sometimes) stupidly expensive cable riser, I thought I’d have a go at knocking some up DIY style!
£12 for a lovely piece of exotic Bocote wood from eBay, a bit or elbow grease with the bees wax and a few quids worth of 15mm pipe work brackets a voi la!!
I think they look pretty good. 
6CA97C42-9DFF-4822-8E73-7EE9D5A65F9F.thumb.jpeg.810a87dca4d843f8ad6579a656e8f3b4.jpeg
7E5AC919-5213-45A2-AADA-F429A06EB6CF.thumb.jpeg.d8ef2ec2c2919e1ecff2ae462a2b3194.jpeg

Like others, I am also noticing what else is in the photos. In addition to the tissues for when the additional emotion clearly audible in the music hits home, I see world maps suggesting you are already planning for global sales. The oven gloves are confusing me: do the cable risers run hot?

Either way, Fourlegs and I will be in touch shortly to discuss whether we might come to some sort of co-marketing arrangement.

Super Mod
1 minute ago, Fourlegs said:

If the existing cables are too long they are easily knotted to take up any slack. 

The suspended cables also become dual purpose and can be used for drying socks and other underwear. 

don't think you are taking this serious. It is obvious that the knot in the cable would interfere with the flow of the music :roll:. Have you never noticed when you have a knot or kink in a hose pipe, it slows down the flow of water, and if too severe, can cause it to stop completely. I'm sure the same would happen with the speaker cables. Try listening to The Kinks with kinks, it's not easy. 

I do like your second idea though, and if the cable could be modified to increase the internal temperature (like a light element or cooker), it would triple up to a multipurpose design.

1. Transfer music signal between Hifi Components.

2. Sock/handkerchief/T-Towel driers.

3. Central heating system.

Super Wammer
23 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

This will also have the concomitant benefit of altering the catenary equation, which will spread out the focus points. 

You can also indicate your musical preferences / mood by the colour of your socks and other underwear.

Kind of Blue,

Blue Train,

Simply Red

Yello

etc etc.

Super Mod
1 minute ago, SergeAuckland said:

This will also have the concomitant benefit of altering the catenary equation, which will spread out the focus points. 

You can also indicate your musical preferences / mood by the colour of your socks and other underwear.

Kind of Blue,

Blue Train,

Simply Red

Yello

etc etc.

You forgot that American heavy metal band...

Skid Row.

• Haha 1

Super Wammer
4 minutes ago, jkbmusic said:

You forgot that American heavy metal band...

Skid Row.

My assumption was that the underpants would be clean, as one would hardly be drying dirty ones....although with some 'wammers......

S.

• Haha 1

Hmmm, I have just had a genius idea, so I'm off to the Patents office to register a patent for my cutting edge line of new hi-fi improvement products...Audiophile Clothes!

I'm going back to bed. When I wake up again hopefully this thread will all have been a dream.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Super Wammer
16 minutes ago, Colinjg said:

I'm going back to bed. When I wake up again hopefully this thread will all have been a dream.

I'm sorry you took it that way.

I joined the Forum to learn new things, and indeed, if I can, to help others with my experience.

From a thread like this I have learnt so much. Firstly, that anyone seemingly sensible can spend time and money converting wood and plumbing accessories into pieces of HiFi, then that the very concept has brought about other applications, like a combined washing line and 'speaker cables. Pure Genius.

We can spend fruitless hours discussing the merits or otherwise of Class A amplification, Class AB bias levels, passive and active crossover frequencies and slopes, but only occasionally does a thread like this come about.

For that, I'm very grateful and alone, has been worth my subscription for this year.

S. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Cable lifters...nah....

If I turn on my system and turn up the volume I get a little valve hiss from the speakers with my ear close to the tweeter. If I tap the cable from the phono cartridge with a pencil I get a sound out from the speakers. No need for a hammer. Yes a piezoelectric generator. 

You need to measure the materials Pascal Constants. Try pyrolytic carbon on the wood or bismuth as this will change the Lorentz force on electrons and cause them to circulate around eddy currents. The eddy currents then produce an induced magnetic field opposite to the applied field, resisting the conductor's motion. Simple physics really.