slavedata

Pi based SqueezeBox Players

I have 2  Raspberry Pi with Sound Cards One IQAudio and One Wolfson/Cirrus Logic both on Pi version 2 I concluded that the IQAudio sounded the best and have been using that as a player. Recently I wanted to lend the other Pi to a friend and went to find player software for it.

It seems the world of Pi has moved on and Squeezeplug has morphed into Max2Play. Plus Cirrus Logic have not supported the Wolfson card well after the takeover and have / are about to drop the product. I haven't been able to find an image implementation that drives the Wolfson Card. I think that Max2Play have a a charged for extra module that will drive the Wolfson but I'm not sure what it is and what it costs and I'm reluctant to pay for  software and find it still doesn't support the Wolfson card.

Can anybody please provide me a link to an image that will drive the Pi Wolfson combination. I don't mind using the odd Linux commands but options of downloading Tars unpacking recompiling and editing vast command files don't really appeal. Plus I feel I should get a working image before developers stop considering the Wolfson and it becomes yet another bit of unsupported hardware.

Many Thanks

Dave

Edited by slavedata
typo

Dave, 

There is a DT Overlay in Raspbian for the Cirrus dac.

It should be possible to install an instance of LMS and Squeezelite on a card for the rpi.

I have actually started to do this with the intention of letting you have the image to test (you would need to change a couple of lines of code; not difficult at all) to ascertain if the dac actually works.

However, the download of Squeezelite is problematic at the moment as the fetch to the Sourceforge page gives an error, the developer (Ralphy) who maintains Squeezelite has raised the issue with Sourceforge, so that is on the back burner at the moment. 

Max2Play does allow the installation of dacs without the purchase of a licence (Euro 10, I think). The cirrus dac is available (its selection means the kernel is changed).

Why not give that a try, you need this download 

https://www.max2play.com/en/download/18906/

and skip the bit at the start that asks you to select the dac mfg. 

Well Dave, with the help of the Slimdevices forum I now have a working LMS and Squeezelite installed on Raspbian Stretch-Lite.

I have a bit more work to do over the weekend but should have an image for you to download and try out with the cirrus dac.

I'll pm a link when it is ready.

atb

Ronnie

On 25/10/2017 at 06:15, slavedata said:

I have 2  Raspberry Pi with Sound Cards One IQAudio and One Wolfson/Cirrus Logic both on Pi version 2 I concluded that the IQAudio sounded the best and have been using that as a player. Recently I wanted to lend the other Pi to a friend and went to find player software for it.

It seems the world of Pi has moved on and Squeezeplug has morphed into Max2Play. Plus Cirrus Logic have not supported the Wolfson card well after the takeover and have / are about to drop the product. I haven't been able to find an image implementation that drives the Wolfson Card. I think that Max2Play have a a charged for extra module that will drive the Wolfson but I'm not sure what it is and what it costs and I'm reluctant to pay for  software and find it still doesn't support the Wolfson card.

Can anybody please provide me a link to an image that will drive the Pi Wolfson combination. I don't mind using the odd Linux commands but options of downloading Tars unpacking recompiling and editing vast command files don't really appeal. Plus I feel I should get a working image before developers stop considering the Wolfson and it becomes yet another bit of unsupported hardware.

Many Thanks

Dave

I would be interested in finding out if you get an image to work as I have an old Pi 1 with the old Wolfson dac attached but have not been able to find working software that suppors it.

cheers

On 30/10/2017 at 18:32, hermano said:

I would be interested in finding out if you get an image to work as I have an old Pi 1 with the old Wolfson dac attached but have not been able to find working software that suppors it.

cheers

Ignore this for the time being, tried to replicate it last night and failed, I'll do some more work then post again.

OK with considerable help from Ronnie. we've finally got it working. My combination is a Pi version 2 with the old Wolfson pre Cirrus card with long mating pins that only works with the Mark 2 Pi. The version that works is Max2Play and you have to buy a licence for 10 Euros to gain access to the Audio Drivers.

In addition once you have written the image to the SD card on the PC before transferring to the Pi you have to edit config.txt This is found in the root of the SD card. Using notepad open the file it will be a continuous line of text. Change notepad on the Format drop down so that wordwrap is ticked. Then at the very end of the file add without the quotes "dtoverlay=rpi-cirrus-wm5102" Save the config file back to the SD card. Then boot the Pi with the card. Find the Pi's IP address from your router Put the IP into a browser and eventually -it's quite slow, you should reach Max2Play's opening web page. Ignore the pop up in the middle of the page and go into setup. Select the Wolfson drivers and follow instructions all should be good. Without the addition to the config.txt M2P can't find the drivers

You also having installed the driver have to go back to the Raspberry Settings Tab and change output for the Wolfson card to line out.

So we can confirm there is a workable combination at a fairly modest price that is reasonably easy to install. If you need any help when you try it just post here and Ronnie or I will help you through.

Edited by slavedata
In need of confirmation

Hi

thanks for detailed info. I too have the  Wolfson pre Cirrus card and am wondering when you say Max2play works,; can you confirm it is this the latest version of max2play?

I am happy to edit config files etc but have tried max2play before without success.

cheers and well done for getting yours up and running.

Hi,

I was wrong last time and have been struggling since. But this really does work. The latest Max2play won't work with the early Wolfson card.

But go here  https://www.max2play.com/wp-content/uploads/max2play/webserver02/

Download the earliest version     m2p default  226 wps img.zip

It flies. If you need any help just PM me.

Good Luck

Dave

Edited by slavedata
Accuracy

On 03/11/2017 at 09:25, slavedata said:

Hi,

I was wrong last time and have been struggling since. But this really does work. The latest Max2play won't work with the early Wolfson card.

But go here  https://www.max2play.com/wp-content/uploads/max2play/webserver02/

Download the earliest version     m2p default  226 wps img.zip

It flies. If you need any help just PM me.

Good Luck

Dave

Cheers Dave,

Just got round to trying the max2play version you mentioned but no luck. My Wolfson is attached to an old Pi (1st version I believe). Cannot get it to network. Have tried both usb dongle and hard wired ethernet without luck. pi powers up fine.

Not sure if it is a faulty Pi or software related not connecting to network/wifi etc.

Not too bothered as this was an old thing...Have been running my Pi 3 and Digi+ for ages without a hitch.

cheers for your advice/help anyway.