sleeptheclockaround

Chord Mojo, still the best way to go?

Hello,

I'm looking for a modern DAC under £500. I've read many reviews and most of them states that you can't do much better than the Mojo, Is it more or less still the truth?

I would only use it as standalone DAC connected to my preamp in a normal stereo-setup. The headphone-amp and the portability is of no use for me. I've sadly also read that some users had problems with the internal battery after a while, which makes me a little doubtful. But Chord is class leading right now from what I understand with their FPGA and digital technology. Or is there any alternatives?

Chord 2 QUTE looks more solid and better suited for my setup, but it more than twice the price and does it even sound better (a bit older and lesser specs than the Mojo)?

Cheers

It is ok, and good for driving hard to drive headphones but I wasn't that impressed by it if I'm honest. Tried as a DAC alone and with a load of different headphones.

4 minutes ago, eddie-baby said:

It is ok, and good for driving hard to drive headphones but I wasn't that impressed by it if I'm honest. Tried as a DAC alone and with a load of different headphones.

Interesting, I heard a few selling their Hugos and just kept using a Mojo. You are maybe not a fan of the Chord sound signature? What kind of DAC would you prefer instead of the Mojo?

2 hours ago, sleeptheclockaround said:

Interesting, I heard a few selling their Hugos and just kept using a Mojo. You are maybe not a fan of the Chord sound signature? What kind of DAC would you prefer instead of the Mojo?

That's a tough one I wouldn't mind a nice modern quality DAC myself and it was debated a week or two ago on here, but there's nothing that I have discovered yet that really makes me want to part with the cash or let go of my 20-year-old Trichord DAC. I have tried a few expensive ones (and cheaper ones also) but nothing has really floated my boat As I said I thought the mojo was ok even quite good but nothing that I thought was really special or made me think I have just got to have this. £400 could be way better spent (even £200-300 if you get it cheap), but that's just my opinion

But the mojo is getting a lot of really good press and owner reviews (that's why I just had to try one) and ok it's not bad, but things can just go over the top. No experience with the Hugo, but I would like to try it, as I would many other DAC's. It be nice if more places would do home trials.

Super Wammer

Be careful guys.

If you don't watch out the measurist police will be on this thread like a ton (tonne for the moment?) of bricks saying save your money because all competent DACs sound the same!

Now, back to business. How about trying the original Chord Hugo or 2Qute? The Hugo1 is much better in my opinion that the Mojo and now that the Hugo2 is out there are starting to be some good prices second hand with the original Hugo. I used the Hugo1 in my home system and it is a very fine DAC indeed.

I did own a Mojo for a while but I found the sound rather heavy and not as open as the Hugo1.

The 2Qute is (I think) the same DAC as the Hugo1 but without batteries and without the headphone amp. The lack of batteries means that it will not be affected by any possible need to replace the batteries in due course. It is also cheaper. The 2Qute could therefore be well worth looking at second hand. Some say that it benefits from an uprated aftermarket power supply.

Edited by Fourlegs

1 hour ago, Fourlegs said:

did own a Mojo for a while but I found the sound rather heavy and not as open as the Hugo

Hugo and 2Qute are what I'm considering at the minute. I know what you mean about the Mojo which I've owned and quite enjoyed. And the difference I'm most interested about is whether Hugo would retain overall rich timbre and well controlled bass while removing some congestion in lower midrange? Hope that makes sense. 

Super Wammer
48 minutes ago, insider9 said:

Hugo and 2Qute are what I'm considering at the minute. I know what you mean about the Mojo which I've owned and quite enjoyed. And the difference I'm most interested about is whether Hugo would retain overall rich timbre and well controlled bass while removing some congestion in lower midrange? Hope that makes sense. 

Yes it does make sense and yes I think it does do that. Only you can tell though!!!

A quick search revealed this  . . .

http://www.hifi-forsale.co.uk/moreinfo.php?prod_title=Chord_2Qute&p=dac&prod_id=50591&offset=

• Like 1

9 hours ago, eddie-baby said:

there's nothing that I have discovered yet that really makes me want to part with the cash or let go of my 20-year-old Trichord DAC. I have tried a few expensive ones (and cheaper ones also) but nothing has really floated my boat As I said I thought the mojo was ok even quite good but nothing that I thought was really special or made me think I have just got to have this. £400 could be way better spent (even £200-300 if you get it cheap), but that's just my opinion

I have to agree with you. Cost is no identifier of performance, though I feel the more well-received a component is in a pre-launch focus group listening, the more likely it will have a higher market price. If the manufacturer skips this, they are more likely just to add a flat-rate margin on the cost of the product.

I couldn't get to Harrogate for the show, which I had wanted to so I could possibly hear an MSB Analog DAC. Even then, probably pretty meaningless in a different room with different equipment. I ended up at the Windsor Show instead. Lots of high-end kit. I didn't get to see and hear everything, but generally, not much to write home about. You'd think I came away finding at least a handful of DACs of interest, but alas, just two. 

I liked the CAD1543 DAC used in a system with Kudos Titan 707 speakers. It's based on the cheap Phillips TDA1543 DAC chip from the '80s. How it sounded this good, I don't know. I got home and dug out a Lampizator modded CD60 player based on TDA1541 and tried that in my system. It's better than it has a right to be, but miles from my Hugo and also the CAD1543.

I also like what Luxman and Dali had going on. I think they ran the DA-06 DAC. This is more in my price range if buying new. 

4 hours ago, Fourlegs said:

The Hugo1 is much better in my opinion that the Mojo and now that the Hugo2 is out there are starting to be some good prices second hand with the original Hugo. I used the Hugo1 in my home system and it is a very fine DAC indeed.

And mine is NOT yet for sale.. but if I can find a worthwhile replacement for it, I'll be selling for a very reasonable price.

Lastly, Chord Electronics had Blu2 and DAVE running into their amps and Kef Reference speakers. It sounded very bad to me. Nowt wrong with Chord DACs which are excellent IMHO. Their amps are now pricey given I don't think the actual measured performance of any of their amps has improved much in nearly 20 years - e.g. for all comparative specs I can find for the SPM600, it matches the newer SPM650, same for SPM1200E against SPM1200 Mk2, but the prices have shot up. There was simply no synergy with those Kef's and the room was close to empty every time I passed it.

Edited by Metatron

I have not noticed that much difference between decent and expensive DAC:s over the years. I was not that impressed at first with the NAIM DAC V1 either,  I had it for some time when I had a NAIM setup. Connected directly to a laptop with Jriver was not a big step up from a Merdian Explorer 2. With a dedicated music PC with Daphile installed the difference was more than subtitle and more worth the price difference. Something to maybe take into consideration. There are also many more costly solutions from Sonore and so on to optimize computer playback.

The DAC V1 was good in my opinion. But many prefer Chord DAC:s even on the NAIM-forum (often says a lot while they tend to stick to NAIM). 

11 hours ago, Metatron said:

And mine is NOT yet for sale.. but if I can find a worthwhile replacement for it, I'll be selling for a very reasonable price.

I better make sure funds are available, when the time comes ;)