Recommended Posts

Ditto for the JPW-P1's I still use a pair that I bought new in the 80's, (been re-foamed) I am still amazed at how good they sound after all this time, they embarrass much more expensive speakers. Originally bought with a Rotel RA-840 amp and Dual 504-2.

Edited by Fantasque

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

Just an up-date on this and I have to say I am really surprised at how quickly this has progressed . I have seen such good bargains on e-bay that in a very short time I have managed to put a system together which I hope will be exactly what I will take .

I had planned to do this a piece at a time over the full year or so before the next show but things just happened and i could not let them go .

First buy was a Creek 4040 which was on sale in good condition at £40 Buy it now , this for me was a no brainer a really good little amp with very good sound quality if a little bright in voicing . Then almost within days a nice pair of Castle Warwick speakers came up which as well as looking nice are a little warm so should be ideal to tame the Creek another in my view steal at £45 . Then some equipment I already had one Raspberry Pi with SD card (£15 second hand ) , Cambridge Dacmagic II (old full size model) bought about five years ago for £55 not being used so donated to the system . Meridian CD200 Transport again this was an old second hand buy at £60 about six years ago but had stopped working .I did offer this up under the spirit of the wam but go no takers so decided to take the unit to Mike Powell in Bolton and see what the repair cost would be . Mike does a very good deal of looking at your unit for a fixed fee of £20 , if it can be repaired then the £20 is taken off the bill if it is either not repairable or too expensive then you just pay the £20 .

Mike says it was quite a simple replacement of a few components and it is working very well with an £86 repair cost . Last item was this week which I will collect on Monday pair of Atacama Stands (60cm) for £10.60 . I have had to add a USB to SPDIF converter for the Joggler 02 Touch Screen Controller which I bought for £15 ex Amazon .The Joggler was £20.04 off e-bay and I have flashed the unit to be a Squeezebox unit . I already had DNM solid core cable for both Speakers and Interconnect and this is pretty much it.

Will now give it regular testing over the next few months and see how things go . Will also ask Mike if he can do a general service of the Creek just to amke sure all things are okay for the show and the new owner .

Really pleased and surprised at how easy this was to do the only downside is now I have so much time beofre the show I might get tempted to change an item of something special if I spot it for a great price.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
43 minutes ago, bencat said:

Just an up-date on this and I have to say I am really surprised at how quickly this has progressed . I have seen such good bargains on e-bay that in a very short time I have managed to put a system together which I hope will be exactly what I will take .

I had planned to do this a piece at a time over the full year or so before the next show but things just happened and i could not let them go .

First buy was a Creek 4040 which was on sale in good condition at £40 Buy it now , this for me was a no brainer a really good little amp with very good sound quality if a little bright in voicing . Then almost within days a nice pair of Castle Warwick speakers came up which as well as looking nice are a little warm so should be ideal to tame the Creek another in my view steal at £45 . Then some equipment I already had one Raspberry Pi with SD card (£15 second hand ) , Cambridge Dacmagic II (old full size model) bought about five years ago for £55 not being used so donated to the system . Meridian CD200 Transport again this was an old second hand buy at £60 about six years ago but had stopped working .I did offer this up under the spirit of the wam but go no takers so decided to take the unit to Mike Powell in Bolton and see what the repair cost would be . Mike does a very good deal of looking at your unit for a fixed fee of £20 , if it can be repaired then the £20 is taken off the bill if it is either not repairable or too expensive then you just pay the £20 .

Mike says it was quite a simple replacement of a few components and it is working very well with an £86 repair cost . Last item was this week which I will collect on Monday pair of Atacama Stands (60cm) for £10.60 . I have had to add a USB to SPDIF converter for the Joggler 02 Touch Screen Controller which I bought for £15 ex Amazon .The Joggler was £20.04 off e-bay and I have flashed the unit to be a Squeezebox unit . I already had DNM solid core cable for both Speakers and Interconnect and this is pretty much it.

Will now give it regular testing over the next few months and see how things go . Will also ask Mike if he can do a general service of the Creek just to amke sure all things are okay for the show and the new owner .

Really pleased and surprised at how easy this was to do the only downside is now I have so much time beofre the show I might get tempted to change an item of something special if I spot it for a great price.

Well you did not hang about Andrew! Sounds like a good system, for little money. Excellent Wamming buddy :^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
On 11/12/2017 at 10:44, greybeard said:

Well you did not hang about Andrew! Sounds like a good system, for little money. Excellent Wamming buddy :^

Agreed - I can't wait to see/hear the system - this is an excellent Idea Andrew.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

As my CD Transport is still away at the 'menders' not been able to play the system with CD but using Radio Paradise (Flac stream) and streaming my own CD rips it sounds very good indeed far better than I thought it would .

So good in fact that I have a part of me saying why did I bother with the effort to put my other systems together when some thing this cheap and simple sounds so good. Think this may well be be Bowmore talking so will go to bed and see how I feel tomorrow .

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
5 hours ago, bencat said:

...it sounds very good indeed far better than I thought it would...

.... when some thing this cheap and simple sounds so good...

..this is one of the biggest pleasures I get out of of hi-fi - being caught unawares by something that sounds far better than you expect, and then simply enjoying a system for what it is and does, which is play music.  And the Creek is a really good choice - it was the heart of my first proper sound system, and I held onto it for many many years, until it went in a house robbery.  I for one will be buying more than one ticket Andrew ;)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.