Sign in to follow this  
AlMac

Blade Runner 2049

Super Wammer

Anyone else seen it? Opinions?

I don't usually ask for others opinions of movies - my own tend to be pretty instant, fixed (and right of course..)

But I am just putting it out there as I am not reading much, if anything, about some things that really grabbed me as 'wrong' about the movie.

First. The soundtrack.

Vangelis is still alive, why not use him? Passed it/not interested? Well, digital recrecreations of the tunes are not excelty difficult to do, these days. Just use the source material, update, stretch. Or, be bold and ditch that whole feel completely and do some thing new. Instead, I was assaulted by The Hans Zimmer Fog Horn Warning Honk and ever escalating tension notes - when there wasn't any tension in the imagery. This crude bombast was stuck over incomplete snatches of the original tunes. There was one single review which did talk about the frustration I felt it induced - it used the 'come on' metaphor - a few notes hinting towards original tunes - but, (with one exception in three hours), never gets there. It ended up really bugging me, drawing my attention way from the images.

I read that the original sound guy was booted out (Johan Johanseen that did the rather minalist, ethereal and effective 'Arrival' soundtrack). I can just imagine the execs screaming that the footage needed pepping up, the viewer needed to endlessly be telegraphed what to feel, in the abscence of car crashes and explosions..

Second. The pace.

Glacier in places. I nearly fell asleep, twice - and I like slow art-house movies.

On the upside, until the four 5star reviews by quality newspapers, I had intended on avoiding it, afraid that it may be so pish it would somehow stain  my love  for the original. It hasn't affected that at all. It stands as very different. As I had very little emotional connection to it when I was watching it, and afterwards, it stands seperate for me.

Edited by AlMac
Sp

Super Wammer

I will watch it at some point, the original being one of my most loved films. To watch a remake may be a big mistake (I can't help going in with that prejudgement). I also rate the Vangelis soundtrack as a true masterpiece. Absolutely right for the film. 

Super Wammer

Just for clarification, it a sequel Ed, not a remake ;) I've ordered the 4K cut of the original and will watch that before watching the sequel... :) 

Edited by orbscure

Ok, I haven't seen it yet so only read the first two paragraphs of the first post :)

However first time I saw a trailer I was really excited. What an epic movie to do a sequel to.

I really enjoyed it,  a tad to long maybe but not glacial by any means.  

My main complaint was that the music was too loud,  my fault for going to a stupid IMAX showing I suppose. 

The music was a reasonably good Vangelis pastiche I thought, but I'm not a great fan of his,  his soundtrack worked with the original and this soundtrack works with this one. 

It was a good story,  maybe a couple of illogical plot developments but heck this is SF, I love SF but logic is often not at the strongest attribute of SF and particularly not in films of the genre and maybe even more so in the fiction of Philips K Dick. I won't discuss the details as that would involve spoilers. 

Harrison Ford put in an excellent performance, better if anything than in the first film, though of course slightly less centre screen for much of it. 

Well worth going to,  don't bother with IMAX.

Which Blu Ray have I watched the most? After Python's Holy Grail it has to be Blade Runner. The visuals, the soundtrack, the story, the Japanese singing, I love the whole goddam thing.

So the idea of a sequel filled me with dread. However the rave reviews have piqued my interest, so I guess it'll be a trip down the local flea pit, avoiding the Imax experience (thanks for the tip guys)

4 hours ago, orbscure said:

Just for clarification, it a sequel Ed, not a remake ;) I've ordered the 4K cut of the original and will watch that before watching the sequel... :) 

I've just watched the 4k version for the first time, it belongs to my son, even on a 7 year-old Panasonic the picture quality is excellent.

1 hour ago, barneys dad said:

Which Blu Ray have I watched the most? After Python's Holy Grail it has to be Blade Runner. The visuals, the soundtrack, the story, the Japanese singing, I love the whole goddam thing.

So the idea of a sequel filled me with dread. However the rave reviews have piqued my interest, so I guess it'll be a trip down the local flea pit, avoiding the Imax experience (thanks for the tip guys)

I'm with you on all that Steve, I've been watching it regularly for 30 years on video and DVD and dreaded the sequel but I'm going to see it tomorrow.

As an aside has anyone else got this ?

s-l500.jpg

Great movie, atmosphere is VERY very close to original Blade Runner, fantastic sci-fi drama:^

• Like 1

Watched Blade Runner 2049 on a flight & was underwhelmed. However I got the BR at the weekend & found it a worthy follow up. Some nice referenced to the original & an interesting twist.

Agree with those that saw it at the cinema... the music is stupidly loud in comparison to speech. Was forever turning up the dialogue, to then jump out of our seats when the music or an explosion occured. Having said the the surround sound and visuals are totally stunnng. 

Very good - recommended. Mrs Me is not a huge Sci-Fi fan, but endures my foibles. This time however, we were both glued to it and the story held up pretty well and an epic twist at the end. It helped that we were @ our home cinema :-) 

not seen it

nowadays i only watch old films and old sitcoms

no films made after about 1979.

rising damp

on the buses

ofc all the carry on films

original star trek

columbo

wheeler dealers

i watch no cack i tells ya that..not even seen the orignal blade runner.

Super Wammer

How about The Disappeared?

Hang on it was released 2008, quite topical though!

On 02/08/2018 at 13:45, Rudolph Hucker. said:

not seen it

nowadays i only watch old films and old sitcoms

no films made after about 1979.

rising damp

on the buses

ofc all the carry on films

original star trek

columbo

wheeler dealers

i watch no cack i tells ya that..not even seen the orignal blade runner.

He missed out Love Thy Neighbour

:doh: