Sign in to follow this  
Von Krolock

Classical Club, album #7. Elgar Violin Concerto.

image.jpeg.21c41b3d14b107f7cc008dd29be9cc72.jpeg

By his own admission, Elgar's violin concerto is a very emotional & romantic work but is regarded as one of the most difficult concertos to play.
It has Elgar's wonderful feeling for orchestral string tone & colour throughout & is a personal favourite piece to lift the spirits after a crap day,
particularly the 2nd movement - the Andante, and the long & lightly accompanied dreamy cadenza in the 3rd movement.

Nigel Kennedy's oik persona will put off some but there's no denying his sublime playing on this recording, perhaps his finest moment.

This was the 1st classical CD I bought, back in the mid eighties & others will have their own favourite versions, as there are many.

I also own the LP, which I prefer to play despite it being a fully digital recording!

Would appreciate  someone posting a streaming link but here's the Andante:

Edited by Von Krolock
  • Upvote 1

Thanks. A choice made only partially from nostalgia & sentimentality - I've never really felt the need to investigate other versions as this is so impressive.
Wasn't aware however of Kennedy's later recording with the CBSO but will try to hear it, especially as it's coupled with Vaughan Williams' The Lark Ascending -
another great piece of music.

I love this concerto and this is the recording which I have always owned in the appropriate format.  

Thanks for suggesting it,  so many favourites don't get played often enough. 

Kennedy was and I am sure still is a great violinist and I have enjoyed his performances on many occasions,  he is not an oik at all he was just a nice middle class boy trying to look like an oik, he's probably got over all that, I really enjoyed his rendition of the match of the day theme as an encore in one concert though. 

Thanks once again,  and I will also track his Rattle / CBSO recording down,  it's sure to be on spotify. 

2 hours ago, JTW said:

I love this concerto and this is the recording which I have always owned in the appropriate format.  

Thanks for suggesting it,  so many favourites don't get played often enough. 

Kennedy was and I am sure still is a great violinist and I have enjoyed his performances on many occasions,  he is not an oik at all he was just a nice middle class boy trying to look like an oik, he's probably got over all that, I really enjoyed his rendition of the match of the day theme as an encore in one concert though. 

Thanks once again,  and I will also track his Rattle / CBSO recording down,  it's sure to be on spotify. 

I remember Nigel  Kennedy appearing on the BBC Proms a few years ago as a commentator & he came across as being a very nice bloke with a deep knowledge of music
and a great sense of humour - as an Aston Villa fan however he needs it.:)