eddie-baby

Anyone any experience with the Chord hugo 2? Is it overpriced over-hyped or is there anything similar better IYO?

Super Wammer

No harm in anything, except that a lot of what's posted is simply wrong on many levels.

That said, we're discussing DACs, not the second coming. And please, I know exactly what I mean by that :)

• Haha 1

Super Wammer
52 minutes ago, eddie-baby said:

lol, you guys think we are talking about something serious here! but I am with everything Metatron says on this, and what harm is there in it (I knew Flash was going to kick off  :sofa: only joking Nigel :)

I haven't had my virtual demo of the Hegel yet but I'll have a listen! what will it tell me not a lot but it'll tell me a lot more than nothing or reading some guys review which I cant make any sense of anyway, and I just have an interest in hi-fi 'all hi-fi', Id research it all day if I didn't have other things I needed to do :) Youtube just gives me another outlet for my hobby, and In my opinion a good one. 

As an adjunct to (and about as useful and relevant as) reading reviews, I'm with you! Heck, I still buy magazines sometimes and just like looking at the pictures...

Yep, you knew what you were doing when you dangled the bait and I knew what I was doing when I swallowed it. Dangle it again and I'll swallow it again. In fact, I can think of nothing else in hifi, even cable lifters, which would make me splutter out my coffee as much as someone thinking a YT vid gives them an idea of a sound. Such is the richness of the wam community.

Man-hug coming your way.

Super Wammer
38 minutes ago, rabski said:

No harm in anything, except that a lot of what's posted is simply wrong on many levels.

That said, we're discussing DACs, not the second coming. And please, I know exactly what I mean by that :)

Ah, the good old days...:P

Super Wammer
3 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

Ah, the good old days...:P

Indeed. You get to a certain age...

29 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

even cable lifters

Do not tell me you are unaware of the benefits of cable lifters Flash. If you havnt spend at least 20% of your system on them you haven't heard your hifi at its best. xD

And I have to say Im guilty also, Im often scouring the magazines. Not so much the newer ones tho, the best action in hifi happened years ago if you ask me. There's no getting away from newer technologies but I think the majority of the best stuff is already out there. Its rare new things really impress and blow me away now but, occasionally Im proven wrong, and thats great also:^

Well I didn't view things as kicking off in a personal way. No foul meant or received from my viewpoint. This is "2 channel debate" and not "2 channel agreement" after all.

I think I've been misunderstood in why I would post a YT clip. Not for comparison, not to determine actual sound quality via YT as if you could because you cannot. That doesn't mean there is zero use for a YT clip at all and to what exent (the grey area). I cited it was just to see if you feel positive/negative about a particular system, assuming the recording is well made. I think that's all that can be done with it - and you use that how you see fit.

21 minutes ago, Metatron said:

Well I didn't view things as kicking off in a personal way. No foul meant or received from my viewpoint. This is "2 channel debate" and not "2 channel agreement" after all.

I think I've been misunderstood in why I would post a YT clip. Not for comparison, not to determine actual sound quality via YT as if you could because you cannot. That doesn't mean there is zero use for a YT clip at all and to what exent (the grey area). I cited it was just to see if you feel positive/negative about a particular system, assuming the recording is well made. I think that's all that can be done with it - and you use that how you see fit.

And I fully understand that Metatron, and from those clips it doesn't sound 'bad' in any way. In fact, through headphones (which I feel can give a better window and closer representation of whats happening in that room there) it sounds pretty good, I cant see anything glaring that I would dislike about trying that equipment. I hope more people keep sharing on youtube, its just brought me insight into more hi-fi than ever before.

I even put some videos of my own on youtube in the past and people have commented how they felt they had some representation of how my system sounded (but its always usually through headphones). I even tried listening to my system on youtube and it sounded like my system, not the same as being in the room but it was what it sounded like, it didn't make it sound like anything else.

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Well, whilst we are in the YouTube mode of assessing DACs, and just for fun here is my Chord DAC set up.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZvfARdI4ZE

and here complete with squeaky cd lid.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BuZ7nYCzcU

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

Well, whilst we are in the YouTube mode of assessing DACs, and just for fun here is my Chord DAC set up.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZvfARdI4ZE

and here complete with squeaky cd lid.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BuZ7nYCzcU

Fantastic system Nick! Even if I'm hearing it through headphones it sounds pretty amazing! There are some absolutely incredible components there, thanks for sharing :^

I can see you don't mess around as an audiophile, but your videography needs a little work, try rotating your camera 90 degrees next time, you'll get more in shot and a better view for us hifi voyeaurs :)

Super Wammer
39 minutes ago, eddie-baby said:

Fantastic system Nick! Even if I'm hearing it through headphones it sounds pretty amazing! There are some absolutely incredible components there, thanks for sharing :^

I can see you don't mess around as an audiophile, but your videography needs a little work, try rotating your camera 90 degrees next time, you'll get more in shot and a better view for us hifi voyeaurs :)

OK, so another one, rotated this time, but do not expect more refinement.

YouTube is more intelligent than I thought as it has put it in the Comedy category.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM4W7z1YP60

• Like 1

Super Wammer
34 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

YouTube is more intelligent than I thought as it has put it in the Comedy category.

I suppose it's picked up on "Dave" and thinking the TV channel.

Not sure what I'd like to swap more, the system or the view. A great show of equine indifference there :D 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Fourlegs said:

That is a fine system Nick. And the camera orientation is better, for my pc anyway, I did take another look at those other videos on my phone earlier and they are not so bad portrait, but the wider field of view is just better for video.

You should open the windows and let the horses enjoy it :D I worked for someone who had stables a long time ago and he used to leave the radio on for them all day (in the stables anyway), he said it kept them happy :) 

Great choice of system Nick and those SP200's are absolute marvels, if it had been me personally though I think I would have had something like a ProAc D100, (just saying like ;) ),

image.jpg