eddie-baby

Anyone any experience with the Chord hugo 2? Is it overpriced over-hyped or is there anything similar better IYO?

I'm very keen on the idea of having an ultramodern DAC.

I'm eager to perhaps try another Chord product as I did own the QBD76 for a short time. That did absolutely nothing for me and reading the reviews led me to believe it was the best DAC in the world bar the DAVE. I have listened to the DAVE and I thought that was impressive but out of my price range for toys. I didn't think the QBD was anything special and aside from the sound it made a really annoying clicking sound every time you used the Bluetooth signal, and it would click loudly again when the signal stopped (an Arcam irdac V1 did the same also). I might have put up with it if the sound was jaw dropping but I found it far from it.

I still haven't heard much to de-throne my trusty old Trichord Pulsar one with power supply (that I enjoy as much anyway). So why try again :) ?  Well that DAC is 20+ year old, and things 'should' have moved on in terms of conversion and getting the best out of digital even red book. And it would be really nice to have an ultra modern DAC with the 'big' bonus of being portable and having a headphone amp I can use from my PC (probably more than Id use my main speakers).

They are expensive now but deals will come up I'm sure. Even without listening to it I think it's overpriced. I certainly wouldn't (didn't) have paid full price for the QBD76, I've had cheap and cheerful CD players which obviously were not as advanced but I'd prefer to listen to them :) but its all very much preference I know.

So hugo 2 a mini DAVE perhaps?

Edited by eddie-baby

Super Wammer

I would take a look at the MF MX-DAC. I have always been impressed with the Burr-Brown chip based DAC's from MF. I have recently seen it discounted and ex-dem at around the £500 mark. The reviews and user feedback all seem very positive.  With regards to Chord, the 2Qute would appear to be the model which occupies the sweet spot within their range. Used models can be picked up at around the £750 mark. Personally, I wouldn't spend much more than this on a DAC. Also, I wouldn't be too fussed about Bluetooth/wireless capability; this is just a modern convenience and offers absolutely nothing in terms of sound quality performance improvements. A 'wired' connection is always best. Seeking out the best quality 'source' recordings will reap far greater sonic rewards than spending many thousands on a high-end DAC imho.

Just like CD players, all DAC's have different sonic flavours, strengths and weaknesses. Ideally, you need to trial them within your system and with your preferred music.

Super Wammer

Fourlegs will hopefully be along shortly...

47 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

Fourlegs will hopefully be along shortly... emoji846.png

It was his DAVE I had the pleasure of listening to, amazing bit of kit.  It's what put me on to the QBD sort of,  but that one wasn't for me. 

Edited by eddie-baby

Super Wammer
7 minutes ago, eddie-baby said:

It was his DAVE I had the pleasure of listening to, amazing bit of kit.  It's what put me on to the QBD sort of,  but that one wasn't for me. 

Eddie, how did you know it was the Dave that was responsible for the impressive performance and not the overall system, source recording etc?

16 minutes ago, marlew said:

Eddie, how did you know it was the Dave that was responsible for the impressive performance and not the overall system, source recording etc?

I used it in my system Mark. I was familiar with the rest of the hardware and the music material. I liked the DAVE a lot, the price tag not so much:) if money was no object for me then yes,  but even if it was half price/quarter even I couldnt/wouldn't do it. 

Edited by eddie-baby

Super Wammer
1 minute ago, eddie-baby said:

I used it in my system Mark. I was familiar with the rest of the hardware and the music material. I liked the DAVE a lot, the price tag not so much:) if money was no object for me then yes,  but even if it was half price I couldnt do it. 

Fair play. As you liked the sonic signature of the Chord Dave, you should try the 2Qute or Mojo if you haven't done so already. Both units would appear to be highly regarded across the board.

2 minutes ago, marlew said:

Fair play. As you liked the sonic signature of the Chord Dave, you should try the 2Qute or Mojo if you haven't done so already. Both units would appear to be highly regarded across the board.

Maybe I will try a mojo, it be a much cheaper fix, but it be just nice to have the extra special model like the hugo 2. I like the added functionality of the headphone amps/dacs as well. Be great to try them all.  but the QBD for me was a dispointment. I thought that might have been a poor man's DAVE :)

Super Wammer

Also, the higher end 'TEAC Reference' DAC's are worthy of consideration. They tend to have an open, musical quality to them ime which is something I always look for. Good value for money and with the features you are looking for.

Edited by marlew
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, marlew said:

Also, the higher end 'TEAC reference' DAC's are worthy of consideration. They tend to have an open, musical quality to them ime which is something I always look for. Good value for money and with the features you are looking for.

I'll check those out later:^

Super Wammer

I preferred the Hugo to QBD, FWIW. The 2Qute is a good place to start, it's a Hugo without the headphone stuff. If you're looking for Hugo 1 vs 2 impressions, Head-fi is the place to go.

Perhaps you simply prefer a slightly more coloured DAC and not Rob Watts' ultimate transparency approach.

32 minutes ago, SuperPang said:

I preferred the Hugo to QBD, FWIW. The 2Qute is a good place to start, it's a Hugo without the headphone stuff. If you're looking for Hugo 1 vs 2 impressions, Head-fi is the place to go.

Perhaps you simply prefer a slightly more coloured DAC and not Rob Watts' ultimate transparency approach.

I do like music to sound seductive and organic, yet I do like detail and realism as well. Some equipment I've found gets me closer to it than others. I'll keep a look out for a hugo. 

Eddie you are welcome to borrow my Rega if you want to try something different, although I would have thought the Trichord would be in a different class.

Super Wammer

Try the Oppo sonica dac. The Dave was brought to my room at Scalford, to compare with it,  and to my ears there was not alot of difference, apart from a few grand in price.

1 hour ago, moo-fi said:

Eddie you are welcome to borrow my Rega if you want to try something different, although I would have thought the Trichord would be in a different class.

Thanks Fred, I like the rega, excellent DAC, and a lovely presentation but the Trichord I have does take some beating already for that. Its the additional headphone/small form factor/portability/bluetooth/DSD functionality that really appeals to me as well though, hence the big interest in the Hugo 2.  

1 hour ago, greybeard said:

Try the Oppo sonica dac. The Dave was brought to my room at Scalford, to compare with it,  and to my ears there was not alot of difference, apart from a few grand in price.

Oppo actually do a headphone amp /DAC also, comes in a hell of a lot cheaper than the hugo, maybe not all the functionality but it does get great reviews.

Edited by eddie-baby